Iris the sick Hamilton Girl & her Battle-No More Updates :'(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

Well we are home now, and she actually IS doing better than yesterday...she's more "upright" and was attempting to wobble around on the couch a little.

I am letting her rest right now, feeding myself (before I pass out), and then I will offer her some ensure and AD cat food mixture.

I took some pics of the sweetie. Unfortunately her balance was around enough that she scratched her ear and made it bleed again. I'll maybe trim those hind toenails on that side at least. :(

Iris met Valora briefly before Valora went into her couch...look at the difference in health between a young very sick rat and an old lady with very few issues.
ValoraandIrisjun22.jpg

I put my hand behind her for support when she scratched
Iris5jun22.jpg

A little wander around as I kept trying to get the bleeding to stop
Iris6jun22.jpg

Attempting to groom
Iris1jun22.jpg

Iris2jun22.jpg

and then back to her normal position of hunched over with feet sprawled out...its still better than yesterday as she was mostly flat on her side in that position and now she wants to be more upright. :joy:

Iris3jun22.jpg

Iris4jun22.jpg

:heart: :heart:

I've got to say that she looks a bit better than she did yesterday! More alert. Yay Iris! I totally fell in love with her on Saturday, she is such a little doll and really deserves this chance. I was so sure she would pass away during the night, or that Dr. Munn would have to euthanize her today, when I found out she was getting a chance I was SO thrilled. :)

As Shelagh said, not getting my hopes up too much, but a little bit. ;)

Maple you asked what our plans were for her if she gets better - I honestly hadn't really thought that far ahead yet, but if she gets healthy and normal I expect she'll be up for adoption. It may be difficult for Shelagh to part with her though - it was difficult for me after one day with the little sweetheart!

Iris absolutely loves her Butter Pecan Ensure and A/D cat food mixture, and would get very upset when I took the syringe away..hehe, she had a nice mini-meal of about 5-6 cc's of it, and now is resting. I will feed her more later. She's had her doxy and baytril and her lung sounds already sound better :)

BUT I looked at her little face and realized something was off, Yep, her teeth aren't lining up so she's developing malocclusion, so once she's feeling better and the swelling is down and not pushing her jaw around so much, she may need her teeth trimmed back into alignment. :doh:

lilspaz68 said:
Iris absolutely loves her Butter Pecan Ensure and A/D cat food mixture, and would get very upset when I took the syringe away..hehe, she had a nice mini-meal of about 5-6 cc's of it, and now is resting. I will feed her more later. She's had her doxy and baytril and her lung sounds already sound better :)

BUT I looked at her little face and realized something was off, Yep, malocclusion, so once she's feeling better and the swelling is down and not pushing her jaw around she may need her teeth trimmed back into alignment. :doh:

oh the sweet soul, you're doing a wonderful thing my sweet!
soft kisses for Iris :heart:

she's lovely. i absolutely love her.... healing vibes , and lots of love coming her way for sure! :heart: :heart: :heart:

Iris breaks my heart because she reminds me sooo much of my sweet angel Nanuk. He fought so hard to stay alive and in the end he looked like Iris to sick to move but trying, loving to eat but ending up with malocclusion, and be as sweet as can be.

She even looks like him a bit although he was a blue hooded dumbo, the hooded parts there. Prayers for this sweet thang, may she make it through another night.

If she suvives she'll be a miracle like Nanny was (even though he only lived four months with me), and will be in everyone hearts for a long while.

Sweet Iris is now in the loving arms of the great provider of the oldies and sickies. :heart:
Healing vibes coming your way.

OMG not good. I'm not wondering if this was the start of her problems. Malocclusion, unable to eat, loose weight, lowers immune system, causes inner ear infection, leading to her current state.
It is my understanding that malocclusion will not correct itself and I know first hand overgrown teeth will need to be clipped every couple of weeks. Are you good at clipping teeth Lilspaz68? I had a mouse with this and everytime I tried to clip, the entire tooth would shatter. I tried using dog clippers, cat clippers, bird clippers and human fingernail clippers but it didn't matter. I had to take her to the vet every 10 to 14 days. :gaah: Do you know if this can self-correct? It's no longer looking good for me :sad3: I just can't clip teeth. :sad3:
It's good to see she is cleaning herself, that is a very good start. :nod:
I will be watching this closely and thanks for the update. :)

The malocclusion happened after the infection, you can see its moved her jaw out of alignment..its not that bad yet, but hopefully by the time she truly needs help she can be put under a whiff of anesthetic so Dr. Munn can burr her teeth. I did this with Angel for almost 5 months, every 3 weeks.

But back to our night...it was a long one...for me. I am pretty tired right now and am staggering around my apartment trying to figure out what I normally do in the AM. I have medicated the rats, except for Lily's rescue shot (Moncton Monster, every 2nd day), and Iris's oral meds and then her fluids and the first of her dex shots.

I dozed on the couch with her until about 12:30, then went to regular bed. I had Valora and Mogwai out with us on the couch so put them back...Mogwai was cuddled under the pillow with Iris when I found them again. :) Went to bed and had Iris sleeping on my chest. Woke up for a drink at 2:41 and offered her some of my water on my fingertip...licklicklick. RAN for a syringe and she happily drank about 5 cc's of my water. :thumbup: Oral fluids are the best route overall :D
Then off and on dozing on my side, with her closeby, either cuddled up against me or on the pile of fleece I had given her. Wake up, give her a stroke and if she's close a kiss, then back to dozing. Alarm went off at 6 am, and I found her inside Brutus the "new" Octoplay. She's sleeping still as I try to do my thing. :)

I will attempt for pics once she's awake, they are often so pathetic looking when they are sleeping so you wouldn't notice any differences.

Back