Introductions / All moved in together

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amanda1472

As some of you may know i rescued a little boy from a feeder breeder. And so now i have split my martin cage in half. Bambi & Thumper are on the top & Teddy is on the bottom.

Right now im at the stage where they can sniff and some what see each other.

When i brought him home and put him on the cage, Bambi & Thumper acted as if nothing changed, and the new boy didnt seem t care much for them either. Im hoping since they are young this wont be too much trouble. My question is, does this introduction seem good, and i know every intro is different, but how many days of each step do you think is a good number?

(for those who may not know Bambi & Thumper are 3 months old and Teddy is 6 months old)
Thanks

EDIT: I did put the boys in each others cage for an hour this morning. Nothing really happened, they all sniffed around a lot, and then i left for 40min and came back to Teddy asleep and Bambi&Thumper getting cozy as well.

The info:

TAKEN FROM: http://www.ratfanclub.org/newrat.html

1) The first step is to place the cages near each other so the rats can see and smell each other. Place wire cages far enough apart so the rats can't reach through the bars to the other cage, or the result may be bitten toes or tail. The next step is to switch the rats to each other's cage, even briefly. This allows them first-hand experience with each other's scent. You may have to do this several times.

2)The next step is to introduce the rats in neutral territory, which should be someplace where the resident rats are not used to playing. The bathtub is a good place. This will give them a chance to become acquainted without the residents feeling the need to defend their territory. Another technique that can work is to take the rats for a car ride in a neutral carrier.

3)The next step is to let them interact in an area where the residents are used to playing. Watch them carefully, because this is where some fighting may break out. It may also help if you put the new rat(s) in your lap along with the other rats. By holding everyone at the same time, it may let the residents know that YOU have already accepted the new rat.

4)The final step is to clean the larger cage out completely and rearrange the furnishings so it appears to be a new cage. Trim the back toenails of the rats to minimize scratching in a scuffle. Put vanilla extract or perfume on all the rats to make them smell the same. Then put the rats in this cage. The best time to do this is in the morning when rats tend to be sleepy.

Steps can go quickly or take months .... it depends on the ratties.

If they are showing no signs of aggression, I suggest you put a fleece blanket in the bottom of the tub, put the plug in, add a small plate of yummy food that can not be carried away (yogurt, baby cereal, etc), add ratties and see how it goes.
You want intros to last 20 to 30 mins if they are going well.

If this step continues to go well, do it 4 or 5 times and then repeat (4 or 5 times) in a nonneutral space such as the play area.

Thank you. None of the boys seem to care for one another, they only sniff. And even if i touch teddy and go to Bambi & Thumper (or the opposite) they dont seem to notice. Ill try the bathtub later today. Im just nervous, so i will see what others have to say.

Thank you very much everyone for supporting me in helping this little fellow.

My first male introductions, I remember literally shaking out of fear of what would happen. You wont know till you try and you cannot judge how they are on in cage as to how they will be in the actual meeting. I have girls who puff up and hiss at boys but when they meet are fine.

I personal tried the tub one time. Cleaning crap out of my tub was not my idea of a fun time. I personally use my dining room table and I keep it covered with a comforter and a few other blankets.

Start out slow, Only a few minutes you need to trust your boys as much as they need to learn to trust each other. I would put them on a table, couch or in the tub if you feel like cleaning up the poo. You know you have a good scary spot when they poo by the masses LOL.

do it for 10 minutes or so and stop for the day.

If a rat is to interested in another rat while being puffy it is usually a sign he will be the problem rat. I watch out for bites, and dont worry some fights look worse than they are and the same for bites. You need to watch for rats chasing other rats and biting or pulling on them. Do not and I repeat do not grab your rats with your hands if they are in a rat ball toss a towel over them you could get hit in the mist of the anger.

Just go slow, we have been starting and stopping ours for weeks now so just have patience they will take time.

Thank you very much, i think i will do a quick intro today, i will also tape some of it/ take pics just because im sure some of us will be interested. Hopefully this intro will be an average intro. Will keep everyone updated, thanks again. :)

Intros need to last at least 20 min if going well.
According to Jorats, they can not sustain high levels of anxiety for longer then that and their anxiety will start to decrease.
You want to end the intro with them feeling better about being together.
Less then 20 minutes and they will feel more anxious, worse and this is the opposite of what you want.
Of course, if the intro isn't going well, you stop the intro and go back a step.

Years ago, I tried intros on a table. The ratties were so frightened some jumped off.
Fortunately they were not hurt.
The bathtub is recommended because it is neutral territory, safe for the ratties, and easy to clean up afterward.

If she isnt used to intros or has a fear then she need to keep them short hence the reason I told her to keep it short. I have started many intros out at a short time frame, if they are gonna go bad, you will see it in a short time frame. Most of my intros are done with a few short minutes just to gain the inside of how the boys will be.

It will depend on the rats as well. But I have done many short intros in a day and had success with difficult boys versus doing the longer ones where they fought.

So i did it! I was so nervous, they where only together for 8 minutes but i was proud. They did sniff a bit but either than that they all just explored and tried to get out of the tub -.- Well here are some photos and a short video.

EDIT: woops, well they where together for 10 mins, i will do a minimum of 20 minutes now, thanks. (I was a little nervous) But i also did know rats cant be nervous/anxious etc for more then 20min =D

100_1380.jpg
Thumper & Teddy
100_1381.jpg
T&T again
100_1383.jpg
Bambi & Teddy
100_1384.jpg

100_1385.jpg

100_1386.jpg

100_1387.jpg

100_1388.jpg

100_1390.jpg
Bambi (L) & Teddy (R)
100_1391.jpg

100_1394.jpg

100_1391-1.jpg

100_1393.jpg

100_1395.jpg

100_1396.jpg

And A Video
http://youtu.be/pH6KX5_U6Bs

DAY 2

So everything went great today, they where out together for about 25 minutes. There was actual sniffing today and a little bit of grooming, but mostly they all wanted off the couch -.-

I also have to clean the cage today, so the boys will be going in a carrier together, hopefully all goes well.

Can you tell who is Bambi & Who is Teddy? XD

VIDEOS
[BBvideo:1b0u05e5]http://youtu.be/KGWY3d_DWzw[/BBvideo:1b0u05e5]
[BBvideo:1b0u05e5]http://youtu.be/NZJU5jF2kvI[/BBvideo:1b0u05e5]

100_1459.jpg

100_1460.jpg

100_1461.jpg

100_1457.jpg

100_1458.jpg

100_1399.jpg

100_1401.jpg

100_1402.jpg

100_1406.jpg

100_1408.jpg

100_1409.jpg

100_1410.jpg

100_1412.jpg

100_1414.jpg

100_1415.jpg

100_1417.jpg

100_1430.jpg

100_1431.jpg

100_1432.jpg

100_1433.jpg

100_1434.jpg

100_1435.jpg

100_1438.jpg

100_1439.jpg

100_1440.jpg

100_1441.jpg

100_1442.jpg

100_1444.jpg

100_1448.jpg

100_1449.jpg

100_1450.jpg

100_1451.jpg

100_1453.jpg

100_1454.jpg

100_1455.jpg

100_1462.jpg

100_1464.jpg

100_1466.jpg

So i cleaned their cage. I only have one carrier now (had two, and have no idea where it went), so i put all the boys in there with some yummy snacks. For the first 15 minutes they just ate and sniffed, but after a while Teddy started to groom Thumper (From what i see Bambi & Now teddy do, i think Thumper with the third in the pecking order).

Well anyways here are some photos and a video. I love it if some one would reply to how good or how bad its going, thanks.

[BBvideo:15fy06hz]http://youtu.be/IXY2aAvhimQ[/BBvideo:15fy06hz]

Mommy get me out of here
100_1473.jpg

100_1476.jpg

Peak-a-BO
100_1474.jpg

And this is what i found when i went to get them to put back in their clean cage
100_1480.jpg

Thank you very much, i just dont want to rush anything, so i was wondering when everyone though it be safe to put them in a place Bambi & Thumper play in every day. (I did put the carrier on my bed, and that is where they play everyday as well) What do you think?

Boys can go bad fast. I would give it another day or two, then test the waters on the common ground. Since the youngest is a baby, he isnt seen as a threat to the older ones so if you have problems it might be a few months down the line when he matures. Save for a neuter just in case!

Thanks everyone, iv decided to keep on the neutral ground for two or three more meetings(over one or two more days) , then move to the common grounds =) Thank you again

And im starting to save for a neuter now in case anything gos wrong in a few months.

Hi, today everything went great, i even tried the common area, everything went fine. I will continue this for another ay or two and see how it goes, i did get pics/videos but ill add them tomorrow. My questions is though, does anyone know what that little sound Thumper makes when Teddy grooms him means? Thanks

Little squeaks?

If so then have you ever had anyone bend your hand back to say uncle? or seen it, I picture it like that.

not so much... they seem to enjoy it. More like you are the master, I think your awesome and amazing LOL it isnt bad in anyway. it is more accepting than go away.

Back