Introducing Titus-Poodle or Poodle Cross? Hmm...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me he doesn't look purebreed at all, but was thinking maybe he's a Canadian poodle - anyways, pure or not, is not all that important (in fact, I'd go for impure as they are said to have longer and healthier lives)

I just found out today he is not a pure bred. He is probably a golendoodle. The groomer said he has an undercoat, which poodles do not have. I'm bummed, because the woman lied to me, but I still love him, maybe more now. :)

New pics... be prepared for a different dog! We had to have him shaved because he was matted too much. He is so fricken cute.

newcut011.jpg

newcut009.jpg

Do keep in mind, I'm not a poodle person...but, from different websites:

"The long coat of the poodle is double. The outercoat is wiry curls. The undercoat is thick and woolly" http://www.dog.com/breed/Miniature-Poodle.asp

"Most people believe that Poodles do not shed. This, however, is a myth, because Poodles do shed their dead hair just as most breeds do. Poodles have a dense undercoat which is course and curly. The dead hair actually gets caught in the undercoat and is unable to fall out through the coat. This causes the coat to mat easily if dead hair is not removed frequently by brushing."
http://www.spoiledsparky.com/Grooming.asp

"Poodles have a dense, cottony undercoat that sheds and easily becomes matted in the outer coat. Daily brushing and combing, with a full grooming every 6 to 8 weeks, helps prevent unsightly and painful mats."
http://dog-breeds.suite101.com/article. ... e_haircuts

"Poodles shed hair similar to other breeds, but this hair is caught and trapped by the undercoat and packs down."
http://www.gopetsamerica.com/poodle/poodle.aspx

'Doodles do not typically have docked tails.. that is a docked tail. I guess there could be docked 'doodles out there, but I've never seen them.. sometimes the 'apoos do, though.

And I've never seen a 'doodle get quite that curly. Certainly puffy and fluffy.. but he was super curly.

Just look at the different coats in these 4 pictures: http://www.goldendoodleacres.com/html/our_boys.html

In all honesty, since the undercoat traps the hair, and he was super matted, maybe the groomer had just never seen a poodle with that much matting or undercoat?

Now that that's done with.......................

How did he take to the experience? Was he a good boy? He looks fabulous, by the way.
Next time, take him to the poodle groomer and see what she says ;)

Wow, thanks for your reply! I guess I'm real confused now, hehe.

He did really well. They made sure not to rush (took almost 6 hours with grooming other dogs in between to give them a break). I guess I will take him to the poodle groomer next time. I hope he will be ready!

That face is pure poodle :) That build is pure poodle. Goldendoodles have a different squarish build and the wider head of the golden retriever.

I think your petstore groomer is a lot like other petstore employees we know when they say they know ALL about rats. :roll:

Titus is just a badly bred poodle. He won't be winning any ribbons for meeting standard. He's still a poodle, though. Poodle's do have undercoats, and if he was that badly matted it would have been collecting undercoat for some time.

abracadoodle_goldendoodle.jpg

That's a goldendoodle. Their bodies are thicker throughout, with the deep chest, squared head, and large feet from the golden. It's very rare for them to have the curl in their coat like a poodle does. You also don't see many in apricot/red coats.

As Shelagh already said, pet store employees don't always have any idea what they're talking about.

I'll agree 100% with what's already said. He looks like a Poodle to me though I agree that he's not the finest build for a show ring. When you first posted photos I wasn't sure because fur covers a lot, lol. But that doesn't matter. ;) He looks like a really sweet dog. Particularly with his new fancy haircut, lol. Shaved Poodles feel so soft. : )

Thanks for helping me out everyone.

I found a 20 foot lead today at the dollar store and picked up 2 of them to make a big leash. I took him to the school park with the one lead attached to his regular one and we had lots of fun running around and playing. I'd say he listened to me about 65-70% of the time when I told him to come.

javakittie said:
That's a goldendoodle. Their bodies are thicker throughout, with the deep chest, squared head, and large feet from the golden. It's very rare for them to have the curl in their coat like a poodle does. You also don't see many in apricot/red coats.

i know many, many goldendoodles, only one has a coat like that, the rest are curly, some look just like poodles.
i also know a lot of goldendoodles that are really lanky.
And then there's those "f1B" or whatever they call them, which are goldendoodles bred back to poodle for the coat.

My point, unglued, was that there are significant differences between goldendoodles and actual poodles. Yes, goldendoodles may look very much like a poodle, but their body structure is different enough to be noticeable. Atleast to someone who knows dogs and their bodies. Their coat will also be different from a poodle's coat, no matter how similar, because they are not poodles. Again, someone who knows coats would be able to discern the differences, even if they are quite similar in looks.

My response was a blanket generalization of goldendoodles and their 'standards'. The people who breed these dogs exclusively are generally attempting to get the sort of body and coat as seen in the pictures I posted. People who randomly throw poodles and retrievers together are, obviously, not going to care about that. So, no, all goldendoodles would not look exactly like the picture I posted. I've also groomed thousands of mixed breeds and can say with some certainty that the majority of goldenddoodles do in fact have a coat similar to the one pictured. Since the woman who sold Titus to Melissa was an actual breeder, I'm going to think she didn't randomly throw a poodle and a retriever together, and stick with the conclusion that he's a poorly bred poodle.

Here's the standard poodle with the utility cut...see the lean body, and lighter bone and more of a tippy toe stance, and esp. the face. :)

standardpoodle-utility-naturalfeet.jpg

Here's the golden retriever, with the wider heads, much heavier bone in their legs and frame.

goldens.jpg

And the goldendoodle who carries the heavier frame usually...My sister was looking into getting one originally.
goldendoodle.jpg

The F1B dood is the one bred back to standard poodle but from my research doesn't look that much differently.

Then there;s the F2B dood which is goldendoodle x goldendoodle
This girl is from a Toronto breeder...
F2bdood.gif

Why doesn't Melissa check with the original breeder or check out her website and stop the controversy? :cheeky:

Bsically I still say a petstore groomer probably doesn't know all the particulars of a breed, unlike a professional groomer...I still say poodle :)

The woman I bought him from won't return my calls or answer my email. I initially contacted her when I was thinking of rehoming him, and she didn't get back to me. The woman was not the breeder, she was selling him for the breeder. She is more or less a puppy broker.

If he came with a pedigree that would help, lol.

Awww Goldens. :heart:
Some people ask if Indy or Islay were purebreds since they're smaller than the average retriever. Yet Islay won a few ribbons so...just goes to show there can be variations within a breed, lol.

I took him out with a 40 foot leash and he was not into playing. Jordan came with me, so I'm not sure if that changed anything. He was either standing around or right beside me the whole time.

Back