Introducing Titus-Poodle or Poodle Cross? Hmm...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melissa

I really didn't think Jordan was going to agree with this, but we got this big guy. He is 11 months, and VERY shy and submissive. Apparently a breeder was retiring and selling her dogs. Well, he has not been socialized so he will require a bit of training, but I think he is going to be a great dog.

He woke me up at 4:30am to play, lol.

I think I am going to get him groomed. I decided to name him Titus, as he never responded to his supposed name of "Leather" anyways (what a lame name too).

If anyone can give me some tips on how to socialize him, get him NOT to wake me up at 4:30am and stop pooing and peeing on the floor, it would be great. :) He is also used to being outside all of the time.

poodle006.jpg

poodle005.jpg

The not waking you up might be harder. ;) You could crate him. That would also curb the need to destroy the house with his urine, lol. As in you put him in there when you can't supervise like at night or when you go out. It sounds like this was one strange breeder to have an adult (close to one anyway) that doesn't know these basics so you likely have to start as if he's a puppy.

To housetrain it's a bit of a pain in the butt but can certainly be done! You'd get more thorough information from a website but basically you take him outside often, and on a schedule, likely starting at 7 am, and when he does either thing, tons of praise and whatnot. Poodles generally are smart dogs and it shouldn't take long for him to pick up on that doing his business outside is a GOOD thing. If you catch him going indoors, scold him for sure. Not much you can do if you just find it though.

Socialization - we had to do that with Islay. She was raised and shown in the country and had likely never been on a sidewalk, lol. Just take it slow. :) I'd walk her only at night when there were less people and dogs out and introduce her to dogs I knew that were friendly. Little ones like she's never seen and really big ones. Change it up. People are the same, I'd introduce her to people who would be previously given the knowledge they had to be super nice to her, lol. Exactly a year later I think she's a completely different dog! There's sooo much more I can add for this topic but I really need breakfast. :lol:

Edit: I totally forgot to add the critical, "Congratulations on your cutie!!" I wouldn't be able to go small either, lol.

I just need to get something off of my chest.

I am trying to rehome my bunnies and giving the girl ratties to Shelagh. I guess I'm just afraid everyone is going to judge me about doing that, now getting a dog. I just feel like I connect better with my male rats and dogs... I probably shouldn't have to feel I need to validate myself like this... I don't know... it's hard to explain.

You're getting a kennel dog. They can be much harder to housebreak, unfortunately. It pretty much means taking him outside A LOT while you are home, and watching him closely. And you really ought to consider crate training as well, if not that then limiting his access to the apartment while you are gone. Like gating him in the kitchen. Proper crate training really is the best way to go.

In terms of him getting you up early, don't let him go to sleep too early at night and make a point of tiring him right out before bed. But, you've got a big active dog now and your mornings are most likely going to get earlier.

And as Bronwyn said, lots of socialization but take it slow. You don't want to overstimulate him or scare the crud out of him too early. No leash-free areas for some time, it can be completely overwhelming and I wouldn't be letting him offleash until your recall is totally solid. Also, for socialization... TRAINING CLASSES. A great way for him to meet people as well as dogs. A good class will have a play time at the beginning for them. Make sure you find an experienced trainer and that the classes are small. And good lord don't drop out just because the first class (or two) does not go well. And don't go in and be nervous and freaked out, that will only make it worse for him and make him a target for the other dogs. Also don't baby him too much, he needs to learn to be strong with and without your support.

Thanks for the info everyone. I will tell you what I'm doing now.

I have been taking him out about every 5 hours. He's doing well. He didn't do any business indoors today with Jordan while I was gone to class. I think he is pooing indoors because I'm weaning him on new food, so I will slow that down by adding less new food.

Jordan said he whined a bit when I left today... :shock:

For walking, I bought him a heavy duty step in harness. He isn't stalling as much anymore at all, so I don't have to tug him to go as much anymore. It's only when some noise spooks him or someone walks or runs by. I've been letting him pee and poo once when we go out, walk about 15 mins then stop again so he can pee. I was told to not let him mark everything (he is not neutered). He was walking really slow yesterday but since I've been doing that, and saying positive things to him while walking ("good boy/Titus" when we are walking and telling him to come when I have to tug on him) he is going at a faster pace with me, not behind me. He seems like a fast learner, just needs that self esteem boost, lol. I'm also teaching home to sit and come by saying it once, making him sit with my hand and then "good boy/Titus" or tug him gently to come. Thankfully I live right beside a quiet neighborhood, so I don't have to walk him on the busy street.

I will take him to training, but I want him to get to know me a bit more. I figure maybe in a week or two I will start.

I've never done crate training before, so any pointers are appreciated. I'm hoping to get one by tomorrow. Also, any good trainers are good to know. I was researching and some are $1500!!

He's such a good boy. I can tell he wants to learn. :)

He wub's you too mamarat.

Definitely get him neutered as soon as possible. Once the hormones are eliminated they are all around easier to live with, and easier to socialize. Not to mention health benefits.

And crate training is a godsend when housebreaking. The crate should be big enough Titus can turn around but not so large that he has a separate space for sleeping and eliminating. Dogs don't like to go to the bathroom where they sleep so that is why crate training and then taking outside immediately when he comes out is so helpful. Otherwise they can pick any area of your house to go to the bathroom in and never really get the idea.

You don't need a private trainer, as group obedience classes are actually better, they help with socialization skills as well as training. Classes usually aren't more than $100/month.

As for the rehoming animals, I personally think that when you get an animal you make a commitment for life. And you can't really say "oh I just didn't bond with it enough" and have that be a valid excuse to give it up.... that is why the humane societies are full to the brim and rescues are full, etc. Just my opinion, but I don't think you should get any more animals if you can't commit to keeping them for life. It is not easy on animals to adjust to a new home, and really not fair to them.

Edit: And if it is because of personal reasons, then I don't think it was fair to Titus that you got him. Yes, animals can be therapeutical and help us through tough times, but you need to take a hard look at your life and realize what you are doing to these animals that didn't choose who took them home.... You took them on, you are responsible for them!

Apparently almost every single crate is going to be too small for him at 32 inches high. He is 30 inches high right now at 11 months and I was told he will grow until 1.5 yrs old... gah. I have no idea how big of a crate to get.

I'm going to call the vet tomorrow to get an appointment for a neuter.

I'd highly recommend purchasing a Promise collar. Many people mistake it for a muzzle which is silly because the dog can clearly open its mouth. Anyway, all it does is wrap around their muzzle so when they pull on the lead they are forced to turn their heads. Our dogs didn't like it one bit but it sure helped the Heel command. Islay heels extremely well as a result...perhaps to avoid the Promise collar. :lol:

Good choice about neutering!

I'm sleepy so I'll add more tomorrow. ;)

Edit: About the crate, it's meant to be small. Dogs don't want to soil their area. Islay can turn around in hers but it's certainly not much taller than she is. My parents still crate her when they go out and she's 2 years old (sets their mind at ease since my sister doesn't care about the dog). When they're pups we seal off a good chunk of the crate.

First off Titus is such a handsome boy.

My parents have trained dogs here in the US for 27 years now and they used to board a Standard white female Poodle on a regular basis. I loved Sophie and cried every time she left. I was little, it got easier as I got older.

Gosh I am so incredibly glad to see that everyone here crate train. That cannot be stressed enough. It is for the safety of the dog. Think of him as an infant and you are putting him in his crib. Plus crating him will help you to keep your sanity. :lol:

Also, great to hear you are getting him neutered. He will be a more pleasant dog and it will prevent prostate cancer which is a really big killer in male dogs.

Speaking as a groomer, you'll need to invest some money into his grooming needs. Poodles need to be groomed on a very regular basis, and it can get very ugly, very quickly.

He'll need to be brushed often, something like a daily schedule. He shouldn't have that much curl in his coat that often, since they tangle and matt very easily. If you can't brush out the tangles often or soon enough, he'll matt up very quickly, especially if he gets wet. 9 times out of 10 poodles need to be shaved down in order to get their matts out. It's not a bad idea to shave them down a couple times a year, either. It keeps their coat more manageable if you keep it shorter than it usually grows. If you take him into a good salon, I'd say expect to pay around $50-$60 for a good brushing, a bit of a trim around his feet and eyes, and a bath. If you opt to shave him, that generally costs anywhere between $70-$100. To keep it at a shorter length, you'll need to shave him about once a month. if you brush him regularly, you may be able to get away with every other month.

javakittie said:
Speaking as a groomer, you'll need to invest some money into his grooming needs. Poodles need to be groomed on a very regular basis, and it can get very ugly, very quickly.

He'll need to be brushed often, something like a daily schedule. He shouldn't have that much curl in his coat that often, since they tangle and matt very easily. If you can't brush out the tangles often or soon enough, he'll matt up very quickly, especially if he gets wet. 9 times out of 10 poodles need to be shaved down in order to get their matts out. It's not a bad idea to shave them down a couple times a year, either. It keeps their coat more manageable if you keep it shorter than it usually grows. If you take him into a good salon, I'd say expect to pay around $50-$60 for a good brushing, a bit of a trim around his feet and eyes, and a bath. If you opt to shave him, that generally costs anywhere between $70-$100. To keep it at a shorter length, you'll need to shave him about once a month. if you brush him regularly, you may be able to get away with every other month.
I called and they are going to shave him for 80$

I need to learn how to do this myself.

Honestly, I really wouldn't suggest it. I went to school for a year and a half, and then apprenticed for another year to become a groomer. There are a thousand different ways to injure a dog during grooming, and if you don't have the right setup [table, leads, etc..] it gets even more difficult. Not to mention if he doesn't care for you grooming him, it can get dangerous for everyone involved.

My own dog, Maxx, doesn't like to be shaved, but he's a chow mix and it has to be done. When I take him into a shop to be groomed, he's good about it. At home he doesn't feel he should have to put up with it, especially not with mom sitting on the bathroom floor and his training lead tied off to the bathroom doorknob. I now have to muzzle him during certain parts of his grooming because he's tried to stop me with his teeth. He got in one good nip once, and I was out of work for several days while the swelling in my fingers went down.

I hate to put it like this, but for the same reason everyone's not a vet, everyone shouldn't groom. It's not just me being arrogant that a groomer can do it better than you can, it's that we've been trained to do it better than you, and to not have anyone get injured in the process.

what food is he on? it so\hould not be orijen like lady eats, because he is a growing puppy, and the high protine is too much for him.
i would reccomend canidae all life stages, it's about the same price as nutro.

as for dog trainers, be careful because although most are good, there are a lot of bad ones too. try to get one who works with rescues. dosn't reccomend a choke chain, martingales are ok. my friend form work is the dog trainer, and she's into rescues, big time. try to get someone who does positive reenforcement, some people will say this, but resort to other methods. and don't liksten to anyone who rolls their dogs :p

i am not a fan of the step in harnesses, because basically it's a pulling harness, like sled dogs wear. the only good harness is the sensations harness, gentle leader ripped it off and called it the 'easy walk harness' but you're better off with the original.

i am also not a fan of the headcollars (halti, gentle leader, there's a lot more) because the dogs hate them, HATE THEM they will literally rub their noses on rough sement trying to get it off. i have seen some nose injuries with them, not good..

The breeder gave me Paw4mance Platinum lamb and brown rice. I was mixing it with the Orijen... I will look into changing.

I like the harness I got him. It works well and he is walking much better. He pretty much listens when I say come now. He seems to know "no" quite well... he has taken a liking to phone books...

Back