Introducing Rocko~ all 3 boys together pg 8

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joanne said:
It was funny watching them. Lots of bum bumping but no one seemed serious about anything. Good luck!!!
:(

yeh its funny but the only serious interactions are between Dre and Rocko- Dre is a super nervous guy and over reacts to any threat (well considering he was in with, and bitten by, a snake, it's not really an over reaction! :( )

and Rocko is just inexperienced with other rats so he's just nuts! :giggle: he's learning though, he's learning
Norry has been very patient with him

jorats said:
This is so funny... Rocko is almost acting like a female trying to set up her "date". lol They do a lot of back kick, sliding them into position, doing catch me if you can dance. Little hops.
I'd give it a few more days still before move in.

yes, I just did a big cage clean so it will be at least 3-4 more days

oh wow, really? Rocko is such a confused boy :giggle: It does seem that he's pretty clueless about how rats are supposed to act with each other
but he's very very comfortable with me
He'll sleep in the bonding scarf for a long time
and now when I tickle his side, he rolls on his back and lets me tickle his belly
:D

Norry gives me this look as if to say, why did you bring this stupid boy here for me to train? I finally got Dre to behave, and now this!! :lol:
sheesh, give me a break, ma!

lol Poor Norry, having to do all the work. But Rocko is definitely a sweet special boy.
How is Norry doing? He looks much better in the videos.

jorats said:
lol Poor Norry, having to do all the work. But Rocko is definitely a sweet special boy.
How is Norry doing? He looks much better in the videos.

Norry does look better to me too, and he's been running in a joyful way when he's out, not always skulking around and worrying Rocko :giggle:

He goes off and plays with Dre, lets Dre groom him and the like.

They all look a lot more relaxed to me. :heart: :D

thanks for all your support thru this, it's kept *me* calmer :giggle:

a story of tonight's play time in photos:

028-2.jpg

Norry gets into Rocko's cage and into a hammock under the one he's on

then goes nose to nose with Rocko
032-1.jpg

033-1.jpg

Mumma goes hmmmmmmmmmmmm?

030-2.jpg

Norry makes his way into the hammock Rocko is on;
Mumma gets nervous

029-1.jpg

things get momentarily tense

Norry tucks himself under Rocko
030-2.jpg

on the same hammock, facing in different directions
035-1.jpg

036.jpg

034.jpg

what I wasn't able to catch on camera was Norry grooming a very wide eyed Rocko
after a short while, Norry got up and left to run around and a stunned Rocko made his way over to me, as if to say, what was that all about?

I am thinking Norry likes this little fella.

I have some video from tonight, too, just need to upload it

In spite of Norry looking tired off and on, still, he does seem a lot more relaxed and even happy
I tickled his side and he rolled over on his back, he's never done that before!!
I think I got that on video

Dre is still Mumma's boy, he and Rocko don't seem to have much interaction at all, so I'm a bit nervous about what he's going to do when the 3 are living together.

Do you think I should spend some time with JUST Rocko and Dre together in a smaller space to see what they'll do?

Dre pretty much keeps his distance and goes off to play by himself. Sometimes the 3 will play together, but not very often.
Usually its' Rocko and Norry together and Dre snuggling up to me, or stashing food, or eating food LOL

overall I'm really pleased with the way it's going, and just as I've found other times I've added new rats to an established group (or in this case a pair) they all show different behaviors that they never did before they were together.
It's like they grow and expand as a group.
it's really interesting to see their lives open up they way they do.

Makes me wish I had buddies to live with :giggle:

Wow! That was awesome. It looks like Norry is boss again. That's probably why he's so comfortable now. That's exactly what Rocko needed a big brother to guide him. Sweet!!!!

jorats said:
Wow! That was awesome. It looks like Norry is boss again. That's probably why he's so comfortable now. That's exactly what Rocko needed a big brother to guide him. Sweet!!!!

You know I still really can not tell who is boss? these two act the same as Norry and Dre do and sometimes it looks to me like Dre is boss over Norry ??

it often seems like they take turns. I just don't know. I guess it will become clear when they are all living together

here is the video of them getting together in that hammock, I'd forgotten that Rocko nips at Norry's face in the beginning
Then Rocko, if you look closely (or watch in full screen) bruxes and boggles

http://youtu.be/x6iurRLp-ik

this video was taken a few minutes later
http://youtu.be/B1wyNHp33a8

do these clear up who is alpha?
I just don't know :lol:

Norry is clearly alpha. If Dre was alpha, that would be him taming Rocko and getting the face nipping.
It's really good that they share a hammock for a nap.

jorats said:
Norry is clearly alpha. If Dre was alpha, that would be him taming Rocko and getting the face nipping.
It's really good that they share a hammock for a nap.

oh?
oh, so Rocko nipping at Norry like that doesn't mean that ROCKO is alpha?

I guess I wasn't clear- then again everything with these 3 confuses me :laugh4:

when Norry and Rocko are interacting, I am not sure who is alpha, to me it looks like they take turns

and when Norry and Dre are interacting, it seems the same to me, I don't know if Dre is alpha or Norry, or if they take turns.

I guess what I"m saying is, I don't know how to recognize dominant behavior
:giggle:

we did it!! :joy:

tonight I cleaned out the cage while the boys were all in the play pen together (which went quite well)

here's the cage all ready for the boys- lot of hammocks cuz Rocko loves them, and a nice cube (under the ramp) for Dre because that's his favorite, he loves to fill them up with anything and everything LOL
that boy just loves to stash! :giggle:
005-7.jpg

I put all three in the cage and they all ran around exploring all the new stuff.
I put a nice bowl of lab blocks and some rolled oats in there.
and then I sat and watched tv for the rest of the night (It's almost 6 am and I've not gone to bed yet, but then I don't usually sleep at night, I sleep during the day- got my hours mixed up, I"m on rat time again :emb: :lol: )

so, they'd been out playing for at least 2 hrs, and earlier they were out for about 1 1/2 hours so they are all tuckered out

here are the 3 boys in the same cage:

Rocko and Norry share a rat stash hammock in the top of the cage
016.jpg

017-4.jpg

and Dre, as I predicted, is "down stairs" in his cube, all covered with fleece scraps and paper
014-5.jpg

:joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

It's been one month since Rocko was neutered and everyone is calm and happy together most of the time. :heart: :heart: :heart:

and I am one happy momma :dance:

Oh how brilliant I'm so glad you/they finally made the big move, hope they continue to bond and enjoy each others company. Loving the videos and snuggly photos.

Back