Introducing Rocko~ all 3 boys together pg 8

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard a few little eeps like maybe Rocko was doing his little face nips but that's it so far

Thinking of putting them back on the table to see what they do

if they keep huddling up, I"m just gonna put them back and make me some lunch lol

I couldn't imagine them all staying in there if they were hating being near each other. I know when my rats want "alone time" from one another, they will go in separate hammocks, and they get quite bitchy if they are bothered by another rat! Fist fights will ensue!

Can you try them back on familiar ground but shorten the area? How long ago was Rocko neutered? Or has he been neutered? My memory sucks. lol

Rocko was neutered on the 7th, so exactly 2 weeks ago today

I guess I will need to try familiar ground again, but it's very hard for me to make the area small but yet have it big enough that I can get in it.
Plus sitting on the floor is really bad for my back (I'm really not supposed to do it at all)
I don't move very fast, so if they go around behind me, they can start- and probably finish- a bad fight before I could even get to them.

the last few times I did this, I ended up spending most of the time pulling them out from behind me or out of my clothes LOL
they all just want to cuddle up to me

which is really sweet :heart: but it's not helping them to work things out amongst themselves

I'm gonna see if I can do another short session while they are all a bit groggy, they aren't usually very active til after 4 pm or so

oh I know? what about a big box? I could put it on the floor and just make sure they dont' climb out
and pray I can bend fast enough to separate them if anyone (Rocko :stickpoke: ) wigs out :giggle:

OK
here's how it went:
I put this tote up on the table, put a plate of baby food veggies in it, and the 3 rats
and this is what happened:
a few minutes after putting them in:
http://youtu.be/78wZsPpErQ4

just a few minutes later, you see that Norry and Dre the smeeze twins are huddled together
http://youtu.be/PtpdwbVk-zE
Most of the session is spent with Rocko wandering around, eating, looking at me, trying to drag my sleeve into the tote, etc LOL
Dre and Norry stay huddled up to each other, not moving much. they did take some of the baby food veggies off my fingers
Then I got the idea to feed all 3 off my fingers, which went surprisingly well

Finally Rocko piled up with the brothers:
http://youtu.be/jvTIlEWORDs

Just before I got this video, Norry was up on his back legs, playing a bit of slap paws with Rocko, no real boxing, just a bit of rearing up and staring at each other, but in a kind of timid way.

you see how it ends here.
http://youtu.be/B7ktMEHXZlg

I quickly got some puffed rice, and gave it them, EVERYONE ate some and then that was the end of it

They were in the tote together for at least 45 mins

out of all that time, Rocko interacted with Dre and Norry maybe a total of 5 mins.
he will walk over them several times almost like they arent' even there

he goes over and huddles up and then nips Norry on the face, does a bit of power grooming but not a whole lot

One interesting thing I caught at the end of the little slap paws session with Norry and Rocko is that Norry gave Rocko a quick lick on his back

what does that mean?

I'm gonna try a floor session tomorrow

wish me luck!

lol Rocko is saying, who opened my door?

Ok so Norry and Dre are not happy and need to huddle for comfort. Rocko lacks social skills. But I would really go for familiar ground now. Shorten it and even if you are not in there, that's even better. Let them work it out. Have a heavy towel ready to throw on them if they go into a rat ball.

OK...... I guess

I'm really worried about my scared-y rats getting hurt.

is there some way to teach Rocko social skills myself? :lol: I'm only half kidding, I'd rather I got bit then my two gentle boys who survived a snake.

I feel bad my boys are so stressed out by this guy.

I had my oldest rat, Navi, alone for a while before getting another rat. She didn't seem to understand how to properly interact with other rats at first, she was very bossy, didn't like to groom or be groomed, she didn't like to cuddle, she didn't like to play, and she didn't like to share. Sometimes the introductions take a while, but it is so worth it in the end. Now, Navi absolutely adores her sisters and she isn't even the alpha rat, she couldn't care less about being in charge, she just wants to cuddle and she always ends up on the bottom of the rat piles.

oh thanks for sharing your story. I hope Rocko will be friends with these guys. Rocko has been a lone rat since he left his littermates, so it would be great if he learned to get along well enough to have buddies.

Yes, you can teach social skills!!! Each time Rocko goes near the boys but chooses to turn away, click with your tongue and give a small treat. Do that each time he chooses not to go near their face to nip.

jorats said:
Yes, you can teach social skills!!! Each time Rocko goes near the boys but chooses to turn away, click with your tongue and give a small treat. Do that each time he chooses not to go near their face to nip.

oh wow, I didn't think it could be done!
and it turns out, I've been doing it without even realizing it- I can't do clicker training- it would require me think and react quickly in a way that does not come naturally to me
(just thinking and reacting normally is difficult for me :lol: )

BUT! all 3 boys do listen and react if I tell them NO (I just blurt that one out if they are about to do something like, bite the extension cord :shock: )
they will stop and run off to do something different, or run over to me for comforting if my No sounded more angry than insistent :giggle: :cuddle:

I also praise Rocko any time he's gentle with the other boys and I praise Dre and Norry when they are being brave around Rocko

I pet all 3 and I say to Rocko, "love the boys, love the boys" when he is approaching them (at the same time I'm stroking Dre and Norry to show him that I love them, then if he's not on alert, I'll stroke him too)

I didn't think this would do a whole lot, but it turns out they listen.

the intro sessions tonight are hard to describe. Everything happened in slow motion, almost.
I went to grab my camera to get a video but I'd forgotten to put the media card back in it! :wallbang:

There were so many things that happened that I don't know how to interpret, but my overall feeling from what I was seeing them do, was that Rocko had gained some respect for Norry and Dre and what they could potentially do to him, if he got too rough.
It's like he finally realized they are rats too, with the same defenses, and if he pushes it too far, he might have to deal with some unpleasantness himself.

at first, I had them on the floor in a small coroplast pen. they had a plate of baby food cereal with fruit, and they all ate from the same plate right away. :joy:
that's a first, usually only Rocko eats and the other two huddle

Rocko did press against Norry at one point, just sat beside him pressing into him but Norry didn't yield and nothing bad came of that.

after eating they all tried to find a way out of the pen :lol:
there was a great deal of peeing, mostly on the floor and not each other

there were several times when all 3 boys huddled together.
there were several very slow and careful face offs between Norry and Rocko.
Rocko would push himself under Norry, Norry would stand up in the position to box,
Rocko would either keep sniffing Norry's belly or nether bits, or he'd stand up in boxing position, but keeping his paws relatively low.
Norry would do a bit of very half hearted slapping at Rocko if he got up in his face too close, and maybe Rocko would lightly slap back or maybe not.
It was the strangest thing.
all in slow motion, and now sometimes ROCKO will squint his eyes like he's afraid something bad might happen, instead of Norry being the one to always have the half closed eyes.
To me, I was seeing two boys with out any animosity towards each other, trying to find a way to settle things as peacefully as possible.

at one point, Rocko had Norry in a corner, and he put his hands on Norry's chest or shoulders - in about the least aggressive manner you could imagine.

Norry just backed up so much that he was leaning into the corner of the pen, then he very slowly slid down on his back til he was almost laying down and Rocko didn't do anything at all. Just let him slide on down. Rocko no longer had his paws on him as Norry had slipped down out of reach.

while this is happening, Dre has mustered up his courage and he is sliding along, low to the floor, on his belly, towards Norry and Rocko. Occasionally his tail would twitch, like he was almost wagging it! I have never seen him do that before.
I have no idea what his intentions were, and apparently neither did Rocko
because he got down on all fours and then decided it was time to groom himself, while Norry very slowly flipped himself over off his back onto his feet and then he huddled up with Dre

Rocko came and huddled with them.

at this point I was like, I really don't understand what all is going on here, but it seems unlikely that anyone is going to get hurt. They are all moving so slowly and carefully, that I decided it was time to "rip the band-aid off" and I opened up the pen and let all three of them have the whole room.

It went incredibly well. Only lasted about 15mins. Rocko did some pushing against Norry, but any time they came face to face and stood up as if to box, Dre would come over and they'd all go back to exploring.
Dre never did anything, he just came over as if to say, that's my brudder, don't mess with him. at the same time, I was telling Rocko "love the boys, love the boys"
and every time nothing violent happened I praised them all.

after a few times of Norry and Dre not backing down, I think Rocko got a bit nervous (and possibly overwhelmed) and he came over to me and hid in my shirt! :lol: :heart:
I asked him if he wanted to go home and he reached up in the direction of the cage, and I moved toward the open door and he leaped inside!

I don't know what all this means, exactly, but I am going to do the next session the same way, except that I"ll block off the cage so no one can get under it, and take a few things out of my way in case I need to get to them quickly.

I'll try to remember to put the media card back in the camera but will have to set it up and not hold it, so my hands are free just in case someone needs a time out.

I'm very encouraged by today's session.I think I will continue to take advantage of the fact that all three want to please me, or so it seems, and just give liberal praise when things go well, and scold them if they get too rowdy.

That was excellent progress! Everything you guessed, you are right.
Your energy is working wonders on them when you say love the boys. That's awesome.
eta: don't get discouraged if the next one goes a bit off, the one after could be equally as good. Each time can be different, good or bad, but definitely keep at it.

quick update on the boys:

i am letting them out in the whole rat room together, with the exception of blocking off the cage so no one gets under there, and I turn all hides and boxes over so I can see everyone.

which hardly seems necessary, I've never seen such a bunch of scaredy rats :laugh4:

Rocko has definitely figured out that Norry and Dre have sharp teeth too, and he's so funny when he does a face off with Norry, he'll puff up and he'll stand on his hind legs, and Norry's just standing there, not puffy at all (I think he's figured out that Rocko is all puff and no bite :lol: )
Rocko seems to get frustrated that his big show isn't getting him anywhere so he lunges at Norry, almost like he's hopping at him, oh I can't even describe it but it's so funny
he like bounces toward Norry, with his paws up to push him, then bounces back,
I think it's probably a real boxing move, but I dont' know much about that sport.
You know how they kinda dance around on their toes? that's what he does.
Oh man it's so funny looking. He bounces though, back and forth, with his paws up.
then he gets a bit overwhelmed and comes running over to Momma!
:laugh4:
Dre comes to me for comforting too, when things get intense but Norry is being very brave and seems to have decided that maybe he can remain alpha afterall.

Dre and Norry have both stood up to Rocko at the same time and that's even funnier- I shouldn't laugh but Rocko scurries away so fast it's hilarious. Usually comes running over to me, or up the front of my shirt, or hides under my shirt.

I am going to keep going like this for several more days at least. I'd like to see something that lets me know who is alpha for sure before I put them in a cage together.

on the floor, they can- and will avoid each other, and since they want to stay out to play
and they learned VERY quickly that Momma stops all play time if they fight- they just don't get into anything serious.

a few stand offs, and Rocko will sidle at Norry a lot but that's it, he doesn't get anywhere and he stops-
or Dre comes over and they all look at each other and then decide they'd rather go explore

I've had girls who were so much more aggressive toward each other than these 3 guys.
it's really very touching to see them. :heart:

I'll try to get some photos or video soon

yes Mamarat, I think I"m going to take them out again now, even though I've got work to do and still haven't had dinner
Just to see if I can capture some of their funny moves - esp Rocko

he is the funniest guy! I'm very glad I got him, he's got the other two boys more interested in things so they don't just sleep and lay around all the time.
I think they all really needed each other

:cuddle:

Back