Introducing Giselle, Scarlett and her 4 babies.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has been happening for about 4 weeks now but I was not sure if it was really happening.

Scarlett is blue, her sister is beige or light fawn, don't know. The babies father is ??????? have no idea.

I used to have marks of 100% on my biology tests in high school and my genetics marks were hight too. My knowledge in human genetics helped me greatly understanding rats genetic. Not knowing the background of the mom and who the father is doesn't give me a lot of information about those babies.

Siamese, hymalayan (whatever).

Last year we bred 2 siamese and we had a litter of 13 siamese. The previous years we bred 2 siamese and we had a litter of 9 siamese.

But I saw some litters where the father and the mother were not siamese but there was a few siamese babies. I knew at the time that at least one of the parents carried siamese.

The thing is, I have no idea if siamese is dominant or recessive but it seems to appear when we least expect it.

Carole rescued one mother and her babies last winter from a lady who bought another boy in a pet shop to go with the boy she already had... We all know about the expertise of pet shop people to sex rats. I mean, it is very difficult to tell apart (being sarcastic here...) So the boy that lady bought was a girl and about 3 weeks later, surprise.

The mother was black hooded dumbo. I don't remember about the father but I know for sure he was not siamese. There were a few babies in that litter who seemed to be PEW. But they all ended up being siamese.

Well I have been looking at Davy Jones and Calypso when they were as young as 3 weeks old and they didn't seem that white to me.

And I remember the 2 litters of all siamese we had in the past and the babies were beige at first, but much more beige than Calypso and Davy Jones.

I noticed a few weeks ago that Davy Jones and Calypso's nose seemed to be slightly darker than the rest of their body. But it was not really apparent and the rest of their coat was so light that I didn't really pay attention to it.

But since 2 weeks now, it is obvious, especially Davy. They both have a point to the nose and yesterday, I noticed that Davy is starting to have a point at the tail too.

Here are a few pictures of them taken on January 20. Davy Jones and Calypso are siamese! Or maybe they are hymalayan (whatever the spelling). Doesn't really matter to me the difference between the 2 as I am not a breeder. But what a beautiful surprise! Two little PEW babies ended up being siamese (or hymalayan) after all.

Here are the pictures. Unfortunately, I do not have a sophisticated camera so their point is not as obvious as it is when we see the babies live, especially on Calypso.

So for the expert, are those babies siamese or hymalayan???

Davy Jones
20janDavyJones2.jpg

20janDavyJones.jpg

Calypso
20janCalypso2.jpg

20janCalypso.jpg

You've got smudges! I've noticed this too, many rats pop up siamese or himi. I believe both parents must carry the gene? And it could be that since this marking has been over bred, now just about all rats carry the gene. :roll:
The ones born from parents just carrying the gene have very weak points. Where as those breeding a siamese to a black rat carrying siamese will have the strongest points.

Jack you have 2 russian blues and 2 PEW,s of which one or more may turn into a himi, from that sweet little nose smudge.

These are beige and fawn with ruby eyes (Kamali and Kyrie at 4.5 weeks old)
KamalibeigeandKyriefawn.jpg

These are PEW (pink eyes)..Bronlings at 4 weeks
PEWgirlsandTeyaAngelonleft33daysold.jpg

Your PEW's are adorable and are my favourite "colour" :heart:

This post is wonderful.....I have so enjoyed all the pictures and watching these babies grow....please keep posting pictures of them and I can't wait to see your new boys.........

Yep, the new boys will be rex black and standart black. Love black for a colour.

That will make 12 rats for me including good old Remus and Silas who is sick.

Silas has a heart condition but he seems to be more stable now and his appetite has improved lately. I'm happy about it.

Jack Sparrow said:
LOL!! I was beginning to be confused and for a while, I thought I had PEW SMUDGES rats. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Can't wait to see what they are going to look like in 6 months.

Pew smudges sound so cute. Maybe we can start a new color. lol
The babies are so cute.

Here are some videos of the babies on youtube. I will upload some more too so everyone could see them.

You will notice than my camera sometimes makes noises as it focus on the rats. I am using my digital camera and it is not a video camera so the quality is not the same. I still enjoy my videos because we can see the babies as they are growing.

One day old
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj7f-qLLeHM

4 days old
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=bNo13OKBMhw

8 days old
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=UOUeHU8q6G8

13 days old
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=ApxjPRhweOk

17 days old. On that video, Savvy and Parlay look black. The light was too dark so that is why.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=9A_z7OUUlTY

I got here late. But OMG! They are adorable! I read through the first 6 pages, but skipped the last ten. Then I watched the videos. The movie is always faster than the book. Congrats!

Back