Introducing Giselle, Scarlett and her 4 babies.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Sparrow

I now have only 4 boys left and one is very, very old. So I figured out it is time for me to have a few new rats and I decided to have girls for a change.

So I found those 2 little girls at some small pet shop in Gatineau last weekend and I brought them home. They are in quarantine in another room for another week.

Scarlett is the blue one (is it blue???), she eats and eats and eats all the time. She's kind of fat too compared to the other slim little girl.

Giselle is champagne, or beige or whatever light colour it is. These little girls already use the wheel and they now feel comfortable in their big cage.

Here are some pictures I took tonight when they were eating peas.

Both girls
DSCN4397.jpg

Both enjoying peas
DSCN4410.jpg

Big fat Scarlett
RSCN4401.jpg

Tiny little Giselle
RSCN4402.jpg

Scarlett eating a pea, so cute
RSCN4405.jpg

Scarlett kissing Giselle
RSCN4413.jpg

oh god they're cute! I think scarlett is a blue.... maybe a darker one like a russian blue, but I'm no expert at all. Giselle's a funny colour too! Kind of like a beige that's almost a pale fawn! and I love the patchiness to her fur... Is she still quite young? My babies look a right mess now, they're all patchy with stripes of adult fur with guard hairs down their backs, and silly fluffy spots of baby fuzz on their heads and sides... scruffy devils!! So cute though.

starfoot said:
oh god they're cute! I think scarlett is a blue.... maybe a darker one like a russian blue, but I'm no expert at all. Giselle's a funny colour too! Kind of like a beige that's almost a pale fawn! and I love the patchiness to her fur... Is she still quite young? My babies look a right mess now, they're all patchy with stripes of adult fur with guard hairs down their backs, and silly fluffy spots of baby fuzz on their heads and sides... scruffy devils!! So cute though.

I don't know how old they are. But I know they are from the same litter even if Scarlett is much bigger and fatter than Giselle. They think the girls are about 4 months old or something.

Here's what's happening now. I just came back home from visiting my parents and I wanted to feed all the rats. There was almost no more bedding in the girls's cage and it was all in their little cabin, about 4 inches thick of bedding in there, almost no room for the girls to go in it. The girls sometimes hide their food since I have them but it is the first time they put all the bedding in their cabin.

I saw my boys doing that before but never to that point.

I have a little idea of what that could mean but I am not sure about it. I'm just wondering if someone else might be thinking what I am thinking about that.

I'm supposed to clean the girls's cage tomorrow but now I wonder if I should wait a few days before doing it.

:lol: looking at the first photo she does look very round to me , did you see any boys in the pet shop with them ? ... :roll: in Gatineau they don't always separate the males from female :( i know that cause it happen to me before .

Well if she is starting to make a nest you could clean around it , if you have hammocks up like the boys cages way on top I would take them out too just in case she decide to have babies in them ( unless you have it close to the ground in case of a fall that could be OK)

:lol: :lol: thinking of it if she is really going to have babies that is too cool what a nice Christmas present , if you need help let me know :?

:lol: Jack got kinder suprises :hug4:

No babies for the moment, I checked this morning. Maybe I will have a surprise when I go home after work today.

To be honest, I didn't think about checking if there were males in that small crowded cage. I know there were several rats in the little cabin that I could not see so maybe the mysterious dad was hiding in there. I'm used to pet shop like Petsmart where they keep only one gender.

If she is going to have babies, I am going to be really happy about it because this is something I was planning to do eventually. My intention was to have my own litter, enjoy the babies then keep them all. None of those babies are going to be abandonned or given away.

I am just somewhat concerned that she was already pregnant over that pet shop and the she was not necessarily fed properly for a pregnant lady.

It's a good think that little Giselle is so tiny because I gave the girls a lot of pablum, soya milk and baby food jar so if Scarlett is pregnant, she has been fed properly for about half her pregnancy, much better than nothing.

For those who wonder where I picked the names Scarlett and Giselle, they are the 2 loves of Captain Jack Sparrow in the movies Pirates of the Caribbean. When we see Jack with one of them, they always end up slapping him in the face. These ladies are 2 of Tortuga's prostitutes.

I think Scarlett carries her name very well then. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait until this day is over so I can go home and check. I wonder how many babies she will have. This is going to be a very looooooooong day.

She might not necessarily be pregnant. I've had females make huge nests from bedding and they were spayed. lol

But if she is, I'm so glad to read that you will keep all the babies. :D

your best bet to tell if she truly is pregnant is to get a digital scale and weigh her everyday at the same time. You will see a very steady incline if she's pregnant. :)

Bronwen at the same age for the last 10 days of her pregnancy

Bronwen’s Weight Gain (4 months old)
Aug. 11 – 267 g
Aug. 14 – 279 g
Aug. 15 – 289 g
Aug. 16 – 302 g
Aug. 17 – 319 g
Aug. 18 – 329 g
Aug. 19 – 346 g
Aug. 20 – 354 g
Aug. 21 – 364 g (birth)
Sept. 14 – 278 g

jorats said:
She might not necessarily be pregnant. I've had females make huge nests from bedding and they were spayed. lol

But if she is, I'm so glad to read that you will keep all the babies. :D

Noooooooo!!! How depressing!!! Jack wants babies. Jack wants to play with little babies and kiss them all over. Little babies are cute and Jack misses not seeing babies anymore!

Lunch time now and just thinking about my sweet little Scarlett. Maybe there are some cute little babies doint eek, eek, eek now in the cage and I am missing it. Can't wait until this day is over.

Just arrived home and weighed Scarlett. She is presently 325 g and since I am used to have boys who weigh 700 g that doesn't mean anything to me.

I took some pictures of her and we can clearly see that she is fat. I believe she is pregnant. Hope she has her baby tonight while I am home so I can witness the event.

Here are the pictures. I might be wrong and she might just be a fat girl too.

Scarlett didn't like the photo session at all. I found her really agitated too when I took her out of the cage and I was afraid to drop her on the floor. She was a lot more calmer before. I don't know if this is a sign too but I hope so. I will be so happy if she is pregnant.

DSCN4416.jpg

DSCN4419.jpg

If she is pregnant, she doesn't look far enough along to start popping out babies. But, having never been around a pregnant rattie, I don't know... this is just going by what I've seen in pics.

Back