I'm no longer sitting here crying or need some help(UPDATE)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there, Orca's Mom, here! I'm Yoni's wife, Ashley, and I thought I'd drop by and introduce myself--Orca is currently cuddled up in his fleece blankie as I give him yogie treats and keep him hydrated with a medicine dropper. He's miserable in his E-collar and I am brainstorming on how to make him more comfortable. Any advice on homemade rat e-collars or ways to prevent him from bothering his surgical site are welcome!

OMG what a poor boy, that looks so painful :sad3: wishing him a fast recovery and give him lots of kisses and snuggles from everyone here :heart:

I have never used one either, usually pain meds are the only thing needed to prevent any picking at surgical sites. Take the collar off of him and watch him carefully. He may only lick it and not pick with his teeth. At least while you are with him and can prevent him from doing anything, take that collar off...rats are usually incredibly miserable with them on.

They didn't send him home with any pain meds can we give him any advil or something otc?

not advil, its too harsh id think. baby or kids motrin Ive used.. but maybe you will need something stronger. you should go back when you can and ask for some, a surgery like this I assume he MUST needs help with the pain. :(

When my baby boy Clodhopper got his leg amputated he did not need a cone. I've never used one on a rat for any surgery.

Rattus said:
not advil, its too harsh id think. baby or kids motrin Ive used.. but maybe you will need something stronger. you should go back when you can and ask for some, a surgery like this I assume he MUST needs help with the pain. :(

he's going to get checked out tomorrow.

Sven didn't have a collar either when he had his leg amputated. Sometimes you can only give pain meds the second day. Good luck with your sweetie.

He's going in for a recheck tomorrow morning and he had a leftover dose of rimadyl, so I gave him that. I have been doing some research and I have seen where some people have made a sort of "body cast", which essentially involves wrapping his torso so he can't bend to pick at his sutures. I have the makeshift e-collar off now and he is just cuddling with me, but I have seen him try to go after his incision once, so I don't trust him to be alone without something restricting his movement.

lilspaz68 said:
Rimadyl is only for mild pain and your boy went through a big surgery, insist on stronger pain meds today.

How much did they remove of his foot/leg?

It's completely gone.

lilspaz68 said:
Rimadyl is only for mild pain and your boy went through a big surgery, insist on stronger pain meds today.

How much did they remove of his foot/leg?

I am going in soon for his recheck, so I will talk to the vet about pain meds. They removed the whole leg, up to the hip. He made it through the night, so now we're out of the woods as far as anesthesia reaction.

Back