I'm no longer sitting here crying or need some help(UPDATE)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yoni said:
I'm afraid orca is down to two toes on the infected foot. It's all very sad. I hope he can recover from this. WE ARE NOT SQUEEZING ANYMORE.

If toes are coming off the infection has completely spread through his foot. :( He is an older fellow, but its possible that the foot might need to be amputated or at the minimum get him very strong pain meds and another antibiotic if possible to get that infection deep inside, like clavamox (which can be used with baytril) or chlorpalm as SQ mentioned.

I wish you both luck!

lilspaz68 said:
yoni said:
I'm afraid orca is down to two toes on the infected foot. It's all very sad. I hope he can recover from this. WE ARE NOT SQUEEZING ANYMORE.

If toes are coming off the infection has completely spread through his foot. :( He is an older fellow, but its possible that the foot might need to be amputated or at the minimum get him very strong pain meds and another antibiotic if possible to get that infection deep inside, like clavamox (which can be used with baytril) or chlorpalm as SQ mentioned.

I wish you both luck!

Basically the toes were black(looked like blood flow was completely shut down) and he was probably trying to clean his foot and took the toes off without realizing it. There's no blood in his cage. I'm hoping he can last till friday with the abs he has. But he's going to need something more or we're going to have to let him go.

I did feed him a plate of scrambled eggs this morning and he loved it. He's still got his sweet disposition which is why this is so hard.

It's only Tuesday. I would not wait until Friday. Allot can happen in 3 days. Is there any way the vet can see him today, instead of waiting until Friday?

Sorry you have to go through this. Never easy. :hugs:

Ashley talked to one of the vets at the humane society and she thinks they could amputate.

SQ said:
Things to discuss before sugery: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=9640

Thanks, the vet doing the surgery is actually a rat owner and has performed rat surgeries, and when ashley mentioned the black toes and them being missing she said, "It's got to come off."

We understand the risks but at this point I'd rather him cross the bridge while we're trying to make his life more bearable than string him along through painful evasive "squeezing"

9 am tomorrow. Either we'll be down leg or a loving sweet rat.

Thanks everyone. I'll let you know the outcome either way. He has a strawberry in his cage and I just gave him a bunch of cheerios. The first thing I ever gave him when I met him. I know he's gonna come out better no matter what tomorrow. I'm just want him to not be in pain anymore.

yoni said:
SQ said:
Things to discuss before sugery: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=9640

Thanks, the vet doing the surgery is actually a rat owner and has performed rat surgeries, and when ashley mentioned the black toes and them being missing she said, "It's got to come off."

We understand the risks but at this point I'd rather him cross the bridge while we're trying to make his life more bearable than string him along through painful evasive "squeezing"

9 am tomorrow. Either we'll be down leg or a loving sweet rat.

Good luck to you and your little man. When I heard the rats toes were blackening and falling off I knew this was a serious deep infection. :( How much seems to be affected? Where is there nice normal skin on his foot/leg? Rats deal with amputations easier than we do, as long as the painful bit is gone they are much happier. Chelle has a boy who had to have most of one hind leg removed as a baby, he's a very happy, adjusted boy:)

Orca has been shaved and prepped. and is probably in surgery right now.

Orca has come out of surgery and they are trying to figure out an E-collar for him.

Here is a pre-op pic. As you can see I didn't share photos because it was really bad.

47983_564663932254_46301430_32847802_5084433_n.jpg

Back