I made a video of my rat!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
why do parents hate rats?!
I passed the word history test, and they said if I did then I could have a rat.
well guess what?

they said when I pass collage I can have a rat. :(

Honestly, if your parents aren't supportive, pet ownership is really difficult. You honestly are better off waiting until you are able to be more independent.

Moon is right, if they get sick and your parent dont understand your love for them, they will suffer.. Sometimes it is hard to convince parents, my daughter got lucky, I love almost all critters :)

Moon said:
Honestly, if your parents aren't supportive, pet ownership is really difficult. You honestly are better off waiting until you are able to be more independent.
yeah. :(
I have GOT to find new parents before I get the rats. lol

I agree with what everyone says. Having a pet means having support (especially in your case being a teen and living with your parents). It's not just about passing some test to get what you want. Pets, critters, rats...are all like children :heart: . We as moms (I am a mom of 2) want to give our children the best of the best. Even if the cost is high. Which is our responsibility as parents. Rats require the same financial commitment, time, medical treatments and so forth. It's not just a toy (exciting new thing) that you can get and then suddenly if you are bored or can't take care of it - it's okay to discard.

Just wondering do you have a job? Paper route? Would you be able to afford 200 or more to get your rat spayed provided if you got girls since it's healthier (again health is always put first when thinking about making sure your rats live a good life) So having 2 is double the amount of money.

My cage cost 169.99 not including taxes at pet smart. Before you know you are spending over and beyond.

I am little concerned as you have said you are a 15 year old that doesn't think things through. Pets are hard work. You just can't make excuses, oh I don't have money and pretend everything will be okay at the rat's expense.

Not trying to sound harsh, just if your parents aren't supportive it's not fair to the rat. Obliviously not fair to your parents either since they really don't want any part of it :sad3:

Make sure you know exactly what needs to be done in order to ensure they live a healthy, long life.

Sorry if I seem harsh :sad3: If you were my daughter, I'd let ya. :nod:

LilyRat said:
Moon said:
yeah. :(
I have GOT to find new parents before I get the rats. lol

LOL, that may be the key to this situation.

Just to let you know, last summer I took in 5 rats (2males and 3females) from the local SPCA. They were there because a young girls father took them away and dumped them at the shelter as a punishment for poor marks. It breaks my heart that parents do not see pets as a responsibility that all kids need to learn! I know I will NEVER do that with me kids, they want a pet then I will get one for me and they can help take care of it lol

PitLuvs said:
Just to let you know, last summer I took in 5 rats (2males and 3females) from the local SPCA. They were there because a young girls father took them away and dumped them at the shelter as a punishment for poor marks. It breaks my heart that parents do not see pets as a responsibility that all kids need to learn! I know I will NEVER do that with me kids, they want a pet then I will get one for me and they can help take care of it lol
Yeah, I was reading through this thread and trying to come up with a way to say the same thing. Not saying that your parents would necessarily do that, but it's not really uncommon for parents to dump unwanted pets while the kid's aren't at home.

I know it's tough, but it would probably be best for everyone if you wait until you're a little more self sufficient.

Ollie said:
I agree with what everyone says. Having a pet means having support (especially in your case being a teen and living with your parents). It's not just about passing some test to get what you want. Pets, critters, rats...are all like children :heart: . We as moms (I am a mom of 2) want to give our children the best of the best. Even if the cost is high. Which is our responsibility as parents. Rats require the same financial commitment, time, medical treatments and so forth. It's not just a toy (exciting new thing) that you can get and then suddenly if you are bored or can't take care of it - it's okay to discard.

Just wondering do you have a job? Paper route? Would you be able to afford 200 or more to get your rat spayed provided if you got girls since it's healthier (again health is always put first when thinking about making sure your rats live a good life) So having 2 is double the amount of money.

My cage cost 169.99 not including taxes at pet smart. Before you know you are spending over and beyond.

I am little concerned as you have said you are a 15 year old that doesn't think things through. Pets are hard work. You just can't make excuses, oh I don't have money and pretend everything will be okay at the rat's expense.

Not trying to sound harsh, just if your parents aren't supportive it's not fair to the rat. Obliviously not fair to your parents either since they really don't want any part of it :sad3:

Make sure you know exactly what needs to be done in order to ensure they live a healthy, long life.

Sorry if I seem harsh :sad3: If you were my daughter, I'd let ya. :nod:
I know pets are hard work. I have had my eight rabbits for years now and cared and played with them every day. I have baby sit kids every week for the last seven years and have never spent my money on anything other than food for my animals. I have saved over 800 dollars! next year I'm going to be working at the local pet store, so I will have more money by then.
I have never mistreated my rabbits or got bored and discarded them. :D you don't sound rash, I understand what your saying.
my parents wouldn't let me have rabbit ether... but I went ahead a bought one. then all my siblings wanted rabbits so we got three more.
then before we got them fixed they had 24 baby bunnies. (it was so fun!) I found a home for almost every one of the baby bunnies and kept four of them.
Also, last year I went around the neighborhood during a garage sale and bought two 55 gallon fish tanks and a 75 gallon... my parents where mad for a while because I didn't ask them if I could but now they love my fish tanks because they are beautiful.
my point is that my parents used to HATE fish and rabbits, but then I showed them how awesome they are. But they say if I buy even one rat without them knowing then they are going to get rid of all my other animals. :sad3:

you sound like a awesome parent by the way. :)

PitLuvs said:

Thats horrible!

LilyRat said:
PitLuvs said:

Thats horrible!

What was even more horrible was the condition I got the rats in, the cage wwas 3in of feces/urine and the SPCA wanted them out, anyone could take them no questions asked :sad3:

PitLuvs said:
LilyRat said:
PitLuvs said:

Thats horrible!

What was even more horrible was the condition I got the rats in, the cage wwas 3in of feces/urine and the SPCA wanted them out, anyone could take them no questions asked :sad3:
Aww the poor things! :(

Bamboo said:
PitLuvs said:
Yeah, I was reading through this thread and trying to come up with a way to say the same thing. Not saying that your parents would necessarily do that, but it's not really uncommon for parents to dump unwanted pets while the kid's aren't at home.

I know it's tough, but it would probably be best for everyone if you wait until you're a little more self sufficient.
My parents have never done that. Though I wouldn't put it past them..

Back