I made a video of my rat!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Lily!!
I hope they let you get two ratties as they are very social and need a friend. :thumbup:
Girls are better for you as they are smaller and there pee less stinky. :giggle:
Good luck on your test!!
Welcome to the Shack by the way.

Thanks, I was hoping on trying to teach the rat tricks.

I think my parents will only let me get one. but I will have four hours of free time to play with it every day.

If your parents aren't overly happy with you having a rat to begin with, they're likely not going to be willing to help you financially or with rides if your rat needs to go to the vet at some point. And rat vets can be expensive and difficult to find. Also, rats get sick and need treatment more often than people realize. So please keep that in mind and research vets in your area before you bring home any animals.

As mentioned, it is super important that rats have at least one same sex friend. It's like you living with animals but never ever seeing or talking to another human being. Some days it sounds like a good idea (I work with animals, trust me, I know they're more reasonable than people most of the time LOL) but it's just not the same and it's not a healthy way to live.

You will also need to decide how you are going to pay for appropriate caging (most of what you see at pet stores is not suitable), and you need to find where you are going to get a proper diet (most diets available at your local store is too high in protein and not healthy). Seed mixes that most people use are completely inappropriate for rats.

Now that all that downer stuff is out of the way, Welcome to the Forum! There's a lot to learn here and I hope you read as much as you can before you get a new pet.

Okay. I promise I won't get just one.

I live very near a vet, so I could just take the rats to the vet myself, and I have a lot of money saved up. so I'm good to go. :)

Welcome!

I'd check with the vet near you, it can be difficult to find a vet that will see rats (especially and do surgeries, which is important as there is a good chance you will need a surgery at some point, like a tumor removal or a spay/neuter), and even more difficult to find a GOOD one. It's also important to find an e-vet as well. Perhaps you already checked, but I just wanted to point it out, because I've seen so many people end up with sick rats and then find out the vet they have sucks/is incompetent, or they have an emergency and no 24 hour vet they can get to. Hopefully you can get that squared away.

Please don't think anyone is picking on you or anything. I honestly wish I had the information I received from forums before I got rats.

Dazzle87 said:
Welcome!

I'd check with the vet near you, it can be difficult to find a vet that will see rats (especially and do surgeries, which is important as there is a good chance you will need a surgery at some point, like a tumor removal or a spay/neuter), and even more difficult to find a GOOD one. It's also important to find an e-vet as well. Perhaps you already checked, but I just wanted to point it out, because I've seen so many people end up with sick rats and then find out the vet they have sucks/is incompetent, or they have an emergency and no 24 hour vet they can get to. Hopefully you can get that squared away.

Please don't think anyone is picking on you or anything. I honestly wish I had the information I received from forums before I got rats.

lol, I'm just a mindless fifteen year old. I don't ever think things through. :lol: thanks for the tip. :)

my parents fear the rats because I grew up in a farm house and as a baby, rats would crawl over my bed.
when I got older I pretty much tried to make friends with the wild rats in my room. lol they where so big that they would take off with potatoes!

those where some crazy times...

Yeah, I meant upload a photo from your computer onto photobucket. Like from iphoto or whatever you upload photos from your camera on to. But it looks like you've got it figured out. :)

Back