I challenge you!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh I wish... As on the go as we are and how busy we are, we couldn't do this... But man it would be amazing if we COULD.. Think of the money we'd save!!!

There is nothing wrong with having those things once in awhile, completely depriving yourself is one of the best ways to fail. Good luck, but I'll stick with treating myself :)

Moon said:
Good luck, but I forsee some people being a bit offended when you refuse to eat when they invite you out for their birthday, LOL

Naw they won't be offended because my family knows what I'm doin. I know it's going to be hard thats the point. It's a test of will power to see how far we can make it. It's still possible to cook even when you're on vacation. It's just the matter if you want to or not.
For me the hardest thing will be no popcorn from the movies but we'll just bring our own home made stovepop pop corn which is better for you anways.
One bag of popcorn at the movies has over 1100 callories in that one bag! Which is insane and if you're a popcorn addict like me then you get the big bag so you can get a refill. So in one night you could have eaten 2200 callories in just two bags of popcorn which is your calorie intake for two days!

I will make it the one year because I've set my mind to it and I'm too stubborn to fail when I set my mind to something lol

popcorn at the movies isnt a problem but i do love occassional night out plus i love subs and salads that i dont have to make. i eat pretty healthy and take lots of supplements. ive kept 15lbs off and need to lose more but i dont think for most people not eating out is practical. i have made changes and dont get the large or extra large fries and i rarely get pop anymore. for me though its exercise as much as eating. i think people need to make small changes at a time and stick with them those are more realistic and sticktoable. (is that a word? LMAO)

lindsayfawn said:
Moon said:
Good luck, but I forsee some people being a bit offended when you refuse to eat when they invite you out for their birthday, LOL

Naw they won't be offended because my family knows what I'm doin. I know it's going to be hard thats the point. It's a test of will power to see how far we can make it. It's still possible to cook even when you're on vacation. It's just the matter if you want to or not.
For me the hardest thing will be no popcorn from the movies but we'll just bring our own home made stovepop pop corn which is better for you anways.
One bag of popcorn at the movies has over 1100 callories in that one bag! Which is insane and if you're a popcorn addict like me then you get the big bag so you can get a refill. So in one night you could have eaten 2200 callories in just two bags of popcorn which is your calorie intake for two days!

I will make it the one year because I've set my mind to it and I'm too stubborn to fail when I set my mind to something lol

I'm not trying to be confrontational or mean, and I know I'm probably driving people mad by pretty much shoving my anti-diet mindset down their throats, but 1100 calories is NOT enough for one day. That it NOT a healthy way to eat unless you're well under 5 feet tall. 1200 should be the absolute minimum for most.

To lose weight aren't you supposed to only have 1200 a day? That's what I meant. If you're trying to lose the weight. If you're stayingthe same weight then you need way more then that of course.

lindsayfawn said:
t's still possible to cook even when you're on vacation.

I'm going on a cruise in a month... and there's no possible way to cook there. The rooms don't have kitchens! Haha. Plus it's not like I can bring food with me. I'd love to try this, but like I said, with my life style (3 or so vacations per year, usually two of them cruises) I still say it's impossible.

It is not possible for many people, but it certainly is a great idea! As I said, my family almost never ate out when I was growing up. No wonder they were able to save for retirement! I love my annual vacation, where we go to somewhere quite remote. I do most of the cooking, because the nearest restaurant is ten miles away, which makes the holiday affordable.

Linds & Ang should keep a tally of how much they probably saved. They will be able to have a great vacation or other wonderful treat with the money they save!

As for the movie popcorn, it is crazy how much the stuff costs and about how much high-calorie goop (and it's not even real butter!) they put on it. Great idea to take your own.... just conceal it, because they don't like people bringing in their own food. [I heard a recent comedy show in which a guy joked that he had to choose between buying a snack at the movies and paying his rent]

So, good luck!

xxchelle said:
lindsayfawn said:

I'm going on a cruise in a month... and there's no possible way to cook there. The rooms don't have kitchens! Haha. Plus it's not like I can bring food with me. I'd love to try this, but like I said, with my life style (3 or so vacations per year, usually two of them cruises) I still say it's impossible.

You go on up to two cruises a year!? Lucky girl! I'm hidding in your baggage next time, kay? :wink2:

Godmother said:
It is not possible for many people, but it certainly is a great idea! As I said, my family almost never ate out when I was growing up. No wonder they were able to save for retirement! I love my annual vacation, where we go to somewhere quite remote. I do most of the cooking, because the nearest restaurant is ten miles away, which makes the holiday affordable.

Linds & Ang should keep a tally of how much they probably saved. They will be able to have a great vacation or other wonderful treat with the money they save!

As for the movie popcorn, it is crazy how much the stuff costs and about how much high-calorie goop (and it's not even real butter!) they put on it. Great idea to take your own.... just conceal it, because they don't like people bringing in their own food. [I heard a recent comedy show in which a guy joked that he had to choose between buying a snack at the movies and paying his rent]

So, good luck!

Yeah we're thinking that every time we have a craving we will put that money in a jar for our computer fund! Should be interesting to see how much we put in there lol

KaraY said:
xxchelle said:
lindsayfawn said:

You go on up to two cruises a year!? Lucky girl! I'm hidding in your baggage next time, kay? :wink2:

Bwahaha. Okay! Next one is February. You free? :p

I love my Wendy's and Harvey's WAAAY too much to give it up!
I did notice though, since moving to the remote location we have moved to, we don't eat it as often. Plus we can't afford it ATM, lol.
It's a nice treat for us.
:D

Dahlas said:
OMG I just saw...no popcorn at the theatre!!!!Is that even possible....to watch a movie without popcorn. No it can't be.

Actually, the "no popcorn at the theatre" part of this challenge is doable for those willing to follow the little trick I discovered last Tuesday!

While waiting in line to see a movie last week, I decided not to get popcorn. Shortly after sitting down though, I changed my mind and decided to get a large drink and popcorn. Cost: About $11.00.

Close to an hour or so into the movie, I grabbed a handful of popcorn and accidentally bit down on an unpopped kernel that was in the bag. Instantly, I felt a sharp pain on the side of my mouth. After getting home, I realized that I had broken the side off one of my molars. Tomorrow afternoon, I go to the dentist to get the tooth fixed. Interestingly, I've now discovered that I don't have the same desire I used to to have popcorn at the theatre.

So, for a small investment of only $11.00 at the theatre concession stand (your cost may vary), hundreds of dollars in unplanned dental work AND lots of pain and discomfort, YOU TOO can eliminate - or considerably lessen - the need to have popcorn at the theatre! Cost: Priceless.

xxchelle said:
lindsayfawn said:
it's still possible to cook even when you're on vacation.

And even in places like the Dominican Republic, I would never consider trying to make my own meals while on vacation in a place like that especially since you cant even drink the water from most of the hotels down there (most hotels will only use bottled water even for cooking).

I also could never do this but good luck!!

lindsayfawn said:
Yeah we're thinking that every time we have a craving we will put that money in a jar for our computer fund! Should be interesting to see how much we put in there lol
This is a very good idea :)

you can still have junk... but only stuff you get at the grocery store.. the goal for this is to be a bit healthier (no fast food..) but mainly to save $$$ ... if you go to the movies you can sneak in some snack you brought from home. :giggle: like a sandwich or make your own popcorn and put it in a bag and bring it in your purse or backpack or somthing lol .. this challenge/competition is something we want/need to do so we reduce the impulse buying..... like my weakness is pop from the pop machine from work.. or a treat from the dollar store.. it makes no sence that i buy that crap because i have pleanty of food including snacks at home that i can bring.

KMG365 said:
Dahlas said:
OMG I just saw...no popcorn at the theatre!!!!Is that even possible....to watch a movie without popcorn. No it can't be.

Actually, the "no popcorn at the theatre" part of this challenge is doable for those willing to follow the little trick I discovered last Tuesday!

While waiting in line to see a movie last week, I decided not to get popcorn. Shortly after sitting down though, I changed my mind and decided to get a large drink and popcorn. Cost: About $11.00.

Close to an hour or so into the movie, I grabbed a handful of popcorn and accidentally bit down on an unpopped kernel that was in the bag. Instantly, I felt a sharp pain on the side of my mouth. After getting home, I realized that I had broken the side off one of my molars. Tomorrow afternoon, I go to the dentist to get the tooth fixed. Interestingly, I've now discovered that I don't have the same desire I used to to have popcorn at the theatre.

So, for a small investment of only $11.00 at the theatre concession stand (your cost may vary), hundreds of dollars in unplanned dental work AND lots of pain and discomfort, YOU TOO can eliminate - or considerably lessen - the need to have popcorn at the theatre! Cost: Priceless.
OMG! I have had a similar thing happen to me, and I too no longer get popcorn at the movies! I opt for NACHOS!!!!
I got a piece of the kernel stuck IN my gums, and it caused a gum infection. It wasn't very costly, to me, I had a job with GREAT benefits back then, they paid for it! but the PAIN of it all was enough for me. I hardly eat popcorn ata ll anymore...

henry's_mum said:
KMG365 said:
Dahlas said:

OMG! I have had a similar thing happen to me, and I too no longer get popcorn at the movies! I opt for NACHOS!!!!
I got a piece of the kernel stuck IN my gums, and it caused a gum infection. It wasn't very costly, to me, I had a job with GREAT benefits back then, they paid for it! but the PAIN of it all was enough for me. I hardly eat popcorn ata ll anymore...

This happened to me too Lynds... except I didn't have benefits!

We're doing good so far. I haven't even had one craving! Though I did have a random OMG moment when I just rememberd that I won't be able to have any Peaunutbutter fudge crunch icecream from my fav icecream place in the summer. I think I died a little in side.
But it's ok. I will live...I'll just make my own or something lol

Back