Huge infected wound **very graphic**

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

notarat

I was at a pet store today and saw a very sick rat in the window. I don't know anything about rats and took her without thinking. The manger said someone brought her there and dropped her off and that she is 2.

I don't even know what she has going on. Its a massive thing on her thats open, bleeding and smells horrid. There are no emergency vets that see rats. I made an appointment to have her put down Monday. I think that's what she needs? I don't have money to spend on more than that and the store refuses to take responsibility (but were willing to sell her for $5). Never shopping there again.... What do I do to make her comfortable? I washed it out with saline solution and put her in a small cage with a blanket. She's friendly.

View attachment uploadfromtaptalk1425772169226.jpgView attachment uploadfromtaptalk1425772189989.jpgView attachment uploadfromtaptalk1425772203306.jpgView attachment uploadfromtaptalk1425772219004.jpgView attachment uploadfromtaptalk1425772242597.jpg

That is a necrotic tumour...I doubt even a removal would save her. I think just manage any discomfort this weekend until she's put to sleep on Monday. Do you have (or can you get) infant liquid ibuprofen? Advil, grape-flavoured, dye-free is one rats will readily take from a syringe. Poor love :(

And give her a good name, so she does not pass from this world nameless like so many others.

I have berry flavoured infant Advil and white grape Tylenol infant. How much does she need? I have 1ml and 5ml syringes.

Oh my god.. thank you for saving this little one.. I think putting her to sleep would be the best thing for her... I can't believe they wanted money for her?? Keep your receipt:

I would go after the pet store and report them for neglect. That right there is severe neglect, withholding of vet care and animal abuse and they should be punished for it. I'd also post these pictures on social media/yelp reviews etc. to get the word out.. Ugh

I don't know what to give for doses, but there are many on here that can tell you.. I would give her some of that for pain and then offer her all the treats in the world and cuddles if she likes them until she can go in for her appointment.. she shouldn't have to suffer her WHOLE life, so a name and some love for a few days would be nice.. poor thing

OK she looks to be in the 300 to 400 gram range to me...
what are you giving her for food? see if you can get her to eat before you give her the ibu, it will help prevent stomach upset.

Lilspaz would be able to tell you better than I but I figure any amnt of pain meds is better than none at this point, these are mid range doses
here's the dosing for infant ibuprofen based on wt:
450 grams 0.22 ml
400 grams 0.2 ml
350 grams 0.17 ml
300 grams 0.15 ml
250 grams 0.12 ml

can be given every 6, 8 or 12 hours

Last edited:
I bought "oxbow adult rat". It was the most expensive so I hoped it would be the best. And I gave her mixed veggies. She is eating a lot. She is 280g on my kitchen scale. So about 0.14ml?

yes that sounds good, if she seems to be in a lot of pain you can repeat the dose sooner rather than later
that's great that she's still feeling well enough to eat. and oxbow rat food is wonderful, one of the best foods,

thank you for caring for this girl, have you thought of a name for her?

Poor little sweetheart! I am so glad that you took her out of that store. I have never seen a tumour like that in one of my rats, thank heavens, but I had seen photos here. Please give her kisses and scritches from me and my ratties.
And I agree with lilspaz68: she needs a beautiful name.

Because she looks like a sweetheart to me, I looked up how to say sweetheart in a couple of languages:
Gariad (Welsh)
Novia (Spanish)
Libeling (German for darling)

I won't list the Greek one; it was a mile long! Besides, I like the Welsh one.

Last edited:
I'm spending some time with her trying to think of a name. She is really sweet and energetic. It's sad. She licks me a lot. But she keeps making a grinding noise when I have her out? Is that a pain thing? I gave her some Advil and she took it right up.

THAT IS JUST HORRIFIC! You are so wonderful to take her. Bless you.

I hope that you have some time with her & that she can have at least a bit of a great life w/ you. A vet visit would be best. As long as her pain can be controlled and to get an opinion from a vet that knows about rats, might give her some time to be loved. I just can't believe anyone would let something get to this point. Again you are so wonderful to take her:rathugz:

She's not acting like she's in pain...her fur is down, her eyes are bright and not dull or squinty...best to give Advil like you did, but I think your new friend is bruxxing...she's happy. :heart:

Is there anything that could be done for her to save her? She is so sweet and even with this thing she's still eating and active. I have a cage called a ferret nation that I put her in, its a huge cage, and she was moving around the whole cage bruxing. Its so sad how happy she is even now and not to try anything.

Is there anything that could be done for her to save her? She is so sweet and even with this thing she's still eating and active. I have a cage called a ferret nation that I put her in, its a huge cage, and she was moving around the whole cage bruxing. Its so sad how happy she is even now and not to try anything.

See if your vet thinks she's saveable, then get a quote for the surgery, and we'll see if there's anything that can be done. No harm asking right? She looks like an absolute darling! Is your vet rat savvy?

Sounds like she is loving her new life :) She is probably very grateful to be out of that pet store. From what I have seen it doesn't look like there is much that can be done to save her.I think if there was a chance of her surviving it is gonna require aggressive antibiotics and flushing...probably surgery to remove the dead tissue....it would take alot to bring this girl back to good conditions. It never hurts to ask the vet if there is anyway to save her. She sounds like she really has a great will to live :)

She is so very sweet :love4:

I hope that you are able to take her to a good vet experienced in caring for rats and that there is something that can be done for her.
So glad that she is at the very least enjoying a few days with you, being loved and well cared for.

Bruxing (grinding teeth together) can indicate happiness or pain, but, like lilspaz68 wrote, she doesn't look like she is in pain.

Here are some signs of pain in rats http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14736

And in case the worst happens ... since most vets do not know how to humanely put rats to sleep please read: http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7652

So very very glad that this sweet little girl is with you

Just looking at the photos again... Her feet look quite pale? Rattie feet are usually quite pink. It may just be the lighting though, and you say she's energetic.. But does she feel cold to the touch at all?

Thanks for the links. She isn't showing signs of pain I don't think, though thats hard to believe. She licks it a lot but that's it.

Her feet arent pink, they look closer to the shade in the pictures but she's not cold.

I'll be taking her to my vet who sees my ferrets. He said he sees rats as well and does spays and tumor removal (along with other non surgical things). He's always been really good with my ferrets so hopefully he's good for rats too. I'm in a place called Moonstone, ON.

Can she eat too much? I gave her 1/2 cup of veggies and she ate it all accept the carrots.

Fingers crossed that your vet will be able to do something. If not, she has finally known love and mercy, and she's getting lots of love beaming her way from lots of us.

You are in Canada! There are a lot of Canajuns on this forum. Jorats was the originator of it, and she's in Ontario. So is lilspaz68.

Back