Help! Rat's testicles is swollen and purplish...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

BibiBaby Rats

We noticed that our male rat's testes got swollen and purplish! We noticed it yesterday and we are alarmed as to what is wrong... Please do help us.

Yesterday, from morning to noon, he showed no signs of anything wrong. His testes was the same pink bulk; definitely not swollen nor purplish. By the afternoon, we noticed his testes' changing color and starting to swell. It was kinda brownish at first then it became purplish over time...

Today, the purplish coloration and swollen state have settled. I cannot decipher which state was worse; whether he was in a worse case yesterday or today... But his condition is alarming us!

Normally, he is very active. Yesterday, he was still the rat who cannot keep still at one place (even in broad daylight) but today, as far as I have noticed (it's still morning and I know rats are nocturnal but...), he is less active. He sleep more too but once in a while he goes running around his cage to get food and to drink.

Speaking of drinking, he drinks more than what he drinks normally. Though I think the environment may have been affecting that factor (summer here is hot), I cannot rule out that this may have been due to his testes.

My estimation of my rat's age is around 4-5 months now. I believe he is still young... and I do not want to face the inevitable early.

I've tried researching but only one forum about the same thing was what I found... So I thought about posting this here to get some advices... and hopefully, assurance... I'm desperately hoping he just somehow hurt his butt at some point...

I know going to the vet would be the best choice, but in my place right now, I don't think there are any vet out there specializing to rat health. (I don't even think there are any in our place.) Especially, my rat is only a lab rat. (We were supposed to use it for an experiment but I got attached to it, especially I was the one who took care of it for a week! So I kept it instead and the experiment was done with another rat...)

Please help me. Any helpful advice would be much appreaciated! Professional ones would be much more appreciated!

Attachments

• 20190424_120717.jpg
    20190424_120717.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 657
  • 20190424_120623.jpg
    20190424_120623.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 568
Do you have a pic of them today? Also, check out www.ratguide.com there is lots of good medical info on there. It's a vet approved site as well. I've also heard of a group on Facebook, something like, "real rat owners" something. There are medical folks on there, and I think Lilspaz is a medical contributor on there as well. Hope your boy is doing better. Also, you need to get him a buddy or two around his age ASAP. Rats are social animals and don't live alone. :)

You need to lay him on his back for a proper picture. Are his testicles cool or cold or normal? We are looking for blood flow with this question.
Do they look bruised or are they one solid colour?
Have you tried any pain medication like ibuprofen?

Thanks for replying! His testicles are starting to get pinkish from the last few days. The purple hue have been decreasing gradually. And I'll note all of your advices. Hopefully it'll heal soon!

Do you have a pic of them today? Also, check out www.ratguide.com there is lots of good medical info on there. It's a vet approved site as well. I've also heard of a group on Facebook, something like, "real rat owners" something. There are medical folks on there, and I think Lilspaz is a medical contributor on there as well. Hope your boy is doing better. Also, you need to get him a buddy or two around his age ASAP. Rats are social animals and don't live alone. :)
Thanks for the references! I'll read through it for advices. :)
Actually, he has a 'brother' and he's never really been alone. So worry not ;)

You need to lay him on his back for a proper picture. Are his testicles cool or cold or normal? We are looking for blood flow with this question.
Do they look bruised or are they one solid colour?
Have you tried any pain medication like ibuprofen?
I honestly would have wanted to take better pictures but sadly his figure is small. He's not the standard size one but a dwarf rat instead. And he's too active for a quick pic too :confused:
Anyway, he's getting better now. Hopefully, it'll continue. :) Thanks for replying!

Back