HELP!! How to keep sick/dying rats comfortable.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isabelk

I have two ratties, one is names Eloise and she is a dark brown dumbo rat with an adorable white belly. My other rat, Aylie, is a grey fancy rat, with pretty blue eyes. They have lived together all their lives and are close like sisters. They are approximately 18 months old. They have always been happy, healthy little explorers.

This summer, Aylie, who has always been a little chubby, and had always loved her treats, became lethargic and lost interest in food. Before this happened though, she and Eloise were both very itchy and Aylie was losing some hair on her head. I took them to the vets and they suggested Eloise was pulling it out, because she has a tendency to be an aggressive groomer, and the tests they took were negative for any skin infection.

They were fine for a couple months, but now Aylie is doing very badly. Within the past month she lost more hair, her tail started looking scraggly, and she lost weight. What started as slightly less interest in food resulted in a dramatic weight loss in a matter of days, because of her fast ratty metabolism. Unfortunately, the same time she lost weight, my other rat Eloise, developed two mammary tumors. I took them to the vet immediately.

He told me Eloise's tumors were most likely benign but that they could operate, and that Aylie had a very serious respiratory infection, and that the hair loss was only the beginning. I scheduled an operation for Eloise, and started Aylie immediately on anti-biotics. I was informed that Eloise's treatment would cost 800 dollars!! And I simply don't have the finances to support an eight hundred dollar surgery. After much discussion with their other mom, and even asking my parents for help, we were forced to make the tough decision that (even combined) we couldn't afford surgery, but that we would start saving up in the event that her tumors grew exponentially. They have stayed relatively stable.

After fourteen days of antibiotic, Aylie has shown little improvement. And, as I discussed with the vet, this suggested that she had cancer of the lungs.

Accepting that there is not much I am capable of doing in terms of treatment, I now have decided that I just need to keep them as comfortable and happy as I can. Eloise has been fine. But Aylie will not eat or drink. She was good about taking her meds but I can barely get her to eat one tablespoon of food a day. I have tried hand feeding her, and she just refuses after about 5 mL of food. She has diarrhea and barely moves, I can feel all her little bones in her body. This is breaking my heart, I am so close with my two little girls. I care for them so much. And the care Eloise gives Aylie just makes it so much more sad. She grooms her and cuddles her more than usual, making sure she is warm... I know their time is near, but what can I do to keep them comfortable? How else can I feed little Aylie?

Rats do not have blue eyes so I'm wondering if she's got cataracts/glaucoma.

Did you ever try Revolution in case the scabs and hair loss were from mites? Mites can really wear down their immune system if left untreated and make rats very ill. Whenever we get rats with thinning fur or scabs in the rescue we immediately do a treatment of Revolution to rule out mites/lice. It's fairly inexpensive and it's just a small drop applied topically to the back of the neck, so it's very easy.

I was browsing this online store last night, and saw this http://www.ratwarehouse.com/shop_detail ... 326&cat=11
which you might find helps, if you can find it quickly in your area. There are some other products in the health section of that site that could help, like supplements for sick rats, and probiotic formulas for rats that are on antibiotics, if you can manage to get hold of them. I think that's a UK store unfortunately but I'm sure someone has these products available in the States.

Good luck with your rats, and remember that they rely on you to make even the most difficult of decisions for them.

Hi and welcome to the Shack, I'm so sorry it's under these circumstances.

Respiratory illnesses are so common in rats and usually what takes them from us. But, 2 weeks of meds is not long enough for a proper treatment.
Most likely, your girl has pulmonary abscesses which can be maintained and not progress if caught early enough.
I'd try Baytril with Zithromax as well as metacam to bring down the inflammation and keep Aylie comfortable.

For Eloise, you could put her on a strict diet of low fat and no sugar, those things can make a tumour grow faster. Many rats can live a few months with a tumour, in fact, as much as 8 months.

Thank you so much for everyone's replies.

In terms of Aylie's eyes-- they are not blue in the main part that you see, they are completely black but when she looks to the side I can see (only what I guess is) her iris, which is pale blue. I don't know what else this would be besides her Iris. It's just a tiny sliver of blue, that I only get a glance of from time to time so I don't think I could capture a pic of it.

When I took Aylie to the vet initially they told me they took skin tests to see if it was mites or infection and they said it was negative. But I would really like to know more about mites and how they effect a rat's health. I'm starting to get the impression that perhaps the vets I have taken them to don't have a lot of experience.

The one I took them to most recently, seemed more knowledgeable and has own several rats himself. He listened to Aylie's breathing, which is very labored, and said that the congestion sounded like it was more than a simple infection and that if treating her with Orbax for fourteen days didn't make any improvement than most likely she had cancer in her lungs.

I called and made an appointment with the vet to address the option of using Revolution, to investigate the possibility of pulmanary abcess, and to address the length of treatment. What is an appropriate amount of time to keep her on antibiotics?

I'm really not educated about rats, but I really love my little girls and I have tried my best to learn what I can offline, so any suggestions are really appreciated!!!

Also, I currently have Aylie on a diet of Nutri-Cal, fruit yogurt, and cottage cheese. I read online that these help her maintain her weight and help her stomach problems. I also read online that Pedialyte helps rats who aren't drinking enough. Any other dietary suggestions? Like what kind of food specifically should I give Eloise to help stablaize her tumour?

Thank you again!!

The skin test for mites is usually painful for the rats and almost always gives a false negative, my vet never does it for those reasons. It doesn't hurt a rat to treat with Revolution if they do not have mites so we usually do preemptive treatments just to rule it out.

I've never heard of the antibiotic Orbax, but from looking it up on Rat Guide (http://ratguide.com/meds/antimicrobial_ ... oxacin.php) it seems to be useful in urinary tract infections. I would definitely recommend a combination of Baytril and Doxycycline, as this is usually the most effective antibiotic combination for URIs. I would recommend treatment for at least four weeks.

I would not be giving any dairy, as many sources say rats are lactose intolerant. Is she the one having diarrhea? This is likely the cause of it. I would get her on a good high quality lab block, such as Harlan Teklad 2014. You want to keep protein low, and for your girl with the tumors, you want absolutely no added sugar, as that can feed the tumors.

Oh no! I'm afraid I have been misled by the countless differing opinions of what's best for rats online. It's hard to know what to do right. I gave the dairy because I read on multiple sites that yogurt would give her calories and active cultures would help the diarrhea. (And yes, Aylie is the one with diarrhea). Also, I have had trouble in the past with them eating their rat blocks. I usually find them stuffed in corners or other hiding places. They seem to nibble very little on them. I'm not sure what to do in terms of them eating rat blocks, especially when Aylie won't eat them when she is healthy, and now that she is sick I worry she wouldn't eat at all. And should nutri-cal be mixed with something when I give it to them? What's the best thing to mix it with?
Also, what is your opinion on hand feeding rats with a liquid syringe? I also read online that this method could help sustain a sick rat.
I'm definitely going to talk with the vet about Revolution, Baytril, and Doxycycline. Is Revolution available via prescription only?

Yes, Revolution must be purchased through your vet.

I've heard that yogurt can help rats with diarrhea, but I've also heard rats are lactose intolerant and it can CAUSE diarrhea, so I personally always stay away from anything with dairy. You can give them Ensure and baby cereal, this has lots of nutrients and will help keep weight on them. You can also soak blocks in water to make them a bit mushy, which might entice older rats to eat.

I'm not sure what Nutri-Cal is, is it a brand of food?

Nutri-Cal is to rats what flinstones gummy vitamins are to kids-- very nutritional and yummy. They will eat it on its own but I was wondering if that was bad for them like it is with some medications. I did a little more research though and it seems that it is okay for them to eat it plain. I will definitely try the other anti-biotics and Revolution. Looking online it really seems like Aylie might have mites- but then why doesn't Eloise show any symptoms of them? And they really don't have a lot of protein in their diet, I made sure of that when they were young because Aylie's fur was browning a little bit and articles online said this was a symptom of too much protein. But with this recent onset of illness there is still some browning in her coat, and on her tail-- it is not dirt, and the vet said that this would happen when there is stress on her immune system. Could mites cause a prolonged URI? I treated them with a shampoo for this about six months ago-- maybe the mites were killed but Aylie was already affected? And this is why Eloise doesn't have the same symptoms? She used to itch a lot as well, but she showed improvement after the shampoo. If this illness is as simple as mites, I really hope it's not too late.

I'm not sure if shampoo will help mites, but I know it really dries out and irritates rat's skin.

Mites will affect rats with weaker immune systems. In a whole cage, sometimes only one rat will show symptoms of mites. And mites can definitely lower a rat's immune system to the point where they can get URIs, which could then turn into pneumonia.

Rusting (brownish or reddish tinge to the coat) can happen with poor diet, or with age.

Bananas are good for them, with the potassium, but not too many. Blueberries are another amazing fruit that is wonderful for them as well...its an anti-oxidant and its supposed to help prevent cancers.

I thought the same thing of the shampoo and only used it maybe three times over a period of two months. the vet recommended using it three times a week!!! Which I thought was just really crazy-- if I had done that they probably would have gotten incredibly dry skin. I'm starting to think that mites might really be the cause. Aylie clearly has the weaker immune system of the two, and because this has been such an ongoing problem that started out with just itchy skin, I think that mites are responsible for the cause of Aylie's URI. So now that I'm really not trusting the vets I've seen- if it is mites, why wouldn't the vet do a remedy for them just in case before telling me my rat probably has cancer of the lungs?!!!-- is Revolution something I can buy at the vets without an appointment, and would it be safe to administer it myself before meeting with them, or should I pay (which I don't mind) to have him confirm this idea first? Also, if it is mites, and I treat the mites and administer the recommended antibiotics, would Aylie have a chance? Or is she too far gone? The vet I saw, our first visit, said I needed to start facing the fact that I would have to euthanize her. He gave her a very bad prognosis and considering she's lived another month since he said that, I'm really wondering if he is reliable... For the past month I've been operating under the assumption that everytime I leave them, that could be the last day I see them alive. The hope that Aylie does not have a terminal illness has absolutely made my day.

Basically what has already been said.
Treat both with revolution (4 to 8 mg/Ib applied to the back of the neck), wash out the cage and all cloth. Freeze anything wood for at least 72 hours to kill parasites.

Treat as suggested by jorats.
Baytril is 10 mg/Ib of rat twice a day for at least 6 weeks, azithromycin is 10 -15 mg/ Ib twice a day for at least 4 weeks. Metacam is 1 - 2 mg/Ib twice a day. Azithromycin can be purchased at a drug store with a perscription from your vet.

If you decide to try Baytril + doxy:
Doxycycline is 2.5 - 5 md/Ib twice a day for at least 6 weeks. Do not give anything containing calcium within a few hours of the doxy.
(Med dosages taken from the Rat Health Care book)

Try one combination of antibiotics and if you do not see improvement after a few days, try the other combination.

For putting weight on ill rats, try baby cereal mixed up with soy infant formula. As previously mentioned soak blocks in cool water to make mush and add a few drops of olive oil. Harlan Tech blocks work best. I feed Harlan tech. 2014.
Health food stores sell probiotics as do some grocery stores.
Yogurt is usually ok to give occassionally for the probiotics in it but it sounds ike you need to stay away from dairy.

Thank you so much everybody. I am going to start them on these treatments ASAP. You have been so much help to me and my little girls. I'm so glad I joined this forum. Thank you!!!

Wow-- did more research tonight. Found a website talking about mammary tumors vs. skin abscess. I didn't want to get my hopes believing Eloise did not have cancer til I picked her up tonight, and one of her 'tumors' had burst. Holy cow, I don't think my rats have cancer. How am I supposed to trust a vet?

Back