Hello! I'm new, to here, but not to rats!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BelldandyShanny

Figured I'd get myself on a rat forum as I'm on a fishy one too. I'm not new to rats but there's always someone more experienced to tap for help if I get baffled.

I have a small selection uploaded to my personal gallery! and my avatar is one of them! He's my only rat for now, I call him Rat/Ratty/Rattle any of those sub R for W, but his "full" name is Ratty Ninja Duncan (kids and daddy helped name) He technically belongs to the oldest kid, but...yeah we got him cause I wanted him! also I do 98% of the work (for now anyway)

yeah it's supposed to be a leash harness set, but even though it "fits" he won't stay in it, bugger. Trying to train the kids how to properly handle him, and I'd feel better about it if he couldn't get too far away.

we are considering it, I've never had more than one at a time, and daddy is hesitant to put two males together. Little brother has expressed interest in his own rat so maybe! They both love this little guy so much, "rat time" is a reward for if they have been good! ages 4 and 6 both boys. Rat gets plenty of snuggle time with me, I like to wear a hoody so I can pack him around in my rat storage pocket! Also want to get my hands on one of those tent style hammocks. Right now he sleeps in a little pouch I had previously made for the sugar gliders we no longer have. So cute, he's actually made himself a little mattress out of paper towels too, instead of tearing them up and stuffing them in his little cave he just folds them neatly and curls up like a puppy.

Rats are social creatures who would do a lot better with a buddy (its like you or me never seeing a human again). And many of us here have successfully intro-ed males to other males and etc. You just have to do it slowly etc. If you do get another rat, (which would be best) we can also help you out on how to do intros and what steps to take etc.

I'd like to, around birthday time (april) we are considering it

Also I'd just like to say his favorite snack is rice cakes (and popcorn) he can hear me open the bag and knows what it means.

Funny story about when we got him, I picked it out cause I just like black rats, and it was the only one, it was in the female cage. They missed that I guess.... so he was "hesitant" to leave his harem, and probably has about 8 litters on the way now.

Your boy would love to have a buddy, and if he's blond, it will be so easy to tell them apart! LOL
Another option would be to contact rescues in your area - perhaps you could find a spayed female to live with him. Then he could have a girlfriend. :cheeky:

Yes I'd like to be able to tell them apart! More importantly I want the kids to be able to tell them apart. I'd also like to get him fixed but it's a lot of money.

Back