Hello all!!!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jorats said:
If the little guy is only 9 weeks old, it would be the best time to give him a buddy about the same age. Intros are real easy then. :thumbup:

My hubby will KILL me!

I know, I know :whip:

But with 2 dogs, 3 rabbits, Henry, and our fish George, plus the son...
:gaah: LOL!

I'm not sure it'll happen... It took alot of convincing him about Henry, and then it was only because he was going to end up in a shelter, and my son fell in love with him right away, that changed his mind...

Two isn't anymore work then one....trust me. Plus then you won't have to feel guilty about all the times he is alone and it is so much fun watching them play. You will really enjoy two.

What about intros and such, i've only got the one cage, and not a ton of time or money.
Where would I get a healthy guy the same age for little to no cost?
and how would I quarintine him with only the one cage?
How long does it take to do intros?
:panic:

Finding you a rescue won't be that difficult, there are always homeless rats in need and finding a young boy shouldn't be hard at all. We could possibly loan you a temp cage as well for the newbie. We are that type of community. :mrgreen:

Intro's for a young boy to a baby boy are the simplest thing ever. I took a 3.5 weeker and popped him in the cage with a 6 week old and a teenager boy. They adore each other :)

Alicemcmallis said:
I'm glad you made it here henry's mom! :)

Hello my friend, how are you?

lilspaz68 said:
Finding you a rescue won't be that difficult, there are always homeless rats in need and finding a young boy shouldn't be hard at all. We could possibly loan you a temp cage as well for the newbie. We are that type of community. :mrgreen:

Intro's for a young boy to a baby boy are the simplest thing ever. I took a 3.5 weeker and popped him in the cage with a 6 week old and a teenager boy. They adore each other :)

what if they don't get along? where does the little guy go, back to the rescue? and I try it again?
I'm SOOOO new to this whole rat thing, sorry for the newbie questions, but I need all the advice, and know how I can get right now.

My cage I have, will it be big enough to house 2 rats in it?
I can't find the measurements right now, but i'll attach a pics for now...

Measurements are best. Then you can use a rat cage calculator

http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/information ... alculator/

I notice you have a wire bottom to that cage? You will want to cover that or remove it if possible...dangerous and not good for rat feet at all.
A hammock will make your little Henry much happier...you can even use a washcloth or towel with safety pins for babies to hang it :)

Being a newb is nothing to be ashamed of, we all were there at one point, and we don't care if you as a million questions as long as you want to learn :)

Baby intro's are often just pop them in the same cage and its usually love at first sight :) Males are much harder to intro when they are older. They hit a teenager stage where they can end up hormonal and territorial, but right now all they want to do is play and all they see is another playmate! :D

I put crochet sheets ontop of the wire bottom, that's what the white stuff is. Henry uses the tiny open space on the very bottom to go to the washroom. He poops and pees there everyday! (such a clean little man!)

I went and got supre pet shelves today to move his cage flooring around, and hopefully open it up a bit more.

What are adoption fees like? are there adoption fees, how would I find a little guy around my area needing rescue?

:wink2:

Between lilspaz and I we can find you someone for sure. I run Guinea Pigs R Us and am often contacted by shelters who have little guys they need to get out.

Adoption fees vary, but generally from shelters they're $6 and from rescues are anywhere from $10-$20. I don't think I've heard of any rescues asking for more than that but I could be wrong.

Some rescues offer foster to adopt options - where you would foster the new rat until he's living successfully with your guy, then the adoption happens. If it doesn't work out he would come back to the rescue and another one can be tried.

If he's pooping and peeing in one spot that's awesome! You could put a litter pan there with something like Yesterday's News in it to make cleaning easier. :)

And we can help you figure out how to do it cheaply, safely and lots of fun for your Henry. :)

Alliston is not that far out of Toronto, do you have any way to travel or no transport at all?

I'm north of Peterborough. In the teeny tiny hamlett of Ennismore... :nod:
What's in ALLISTON? :? I've got a car, but i'm a stay at home mum, so Cole comes with me EVERYWHERE!

I'm trying to figure out how to rearrange Henry's cage...
I bought a large platform, and a small today for the cage. I think it's made by Super Pet?!?!?
and then obviously what's already in there...

any suggestions????

So while Henry ran like the wind, and my son squeeled with happiness, I re-arranged Henry's cage, and I think it better than it was, but i'll definatly have to add some tunnels, a REAL hammock, and well just spoil him in general! :D

Here it is!!!Let me know what you think!

Much better :)

Make sure those clippy things on the hammock will hold his weight, I use metal shower hooks from Dollarama myself. :) Plus you can buy fleece for a buck there as well, and baby link toys (I adore my Dollarama).

You might want to put your metal water bottle holder up higher on the bottle, it will hold it better and straighter. :)

What does Henry think?

He ran up and down the ladders, he moved all his toys around, ate, drank, and went to bed!
Typical boy I guess! LOL!

We've got more links, but my son said he NEEDED them last night, so...

I LOVE my dollar stores too, best invention EVER!LOL!

So what's in ALLISTON????

Back