Hannah *Update on Implants*

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally wouldn't wait til the January 3rd check up just in case it's an abscess and that way she can be started on abs. But I wouldn't recommend starting abs until your vet confirms whether or not it's an abscess.

smilez_n_hugs said:
I personally wouldn't wait til the January 3rd check up just in case it's an abscess and that way she can be started on abs. But I wouldn't recommend starting abs until your vet confirms whether or not it's an abscess.

Well, my vet is on Holidays until the 3rd, I have no other vet to go too, soo

smilez_n_hugs said:
Oh :( then I guess I would try warm compresses to see if it comes to a head.

This might be sound stupid, but what do I do to warm compress? Iv never done it before :emb:

Thanks. How will I know if it's an abcess, and if it is, when is it ready to pop, what do I pop it with? gah :panic:

Got two pictures of the lump and the incision.

The incision is not very nice anymore ..someone scratched it yesterday and now it's all gross, I have been cleaning it with Saline.

IF I could go to the vet before the 3rd I would ..but my vet wont be in until then, and I have no one else to go to.

Thats the incison from the tumor remoals on her side, shes not scratching at it, it was fine until yesterday, one of her cagemates must haae scratched it, iv been cleaning it with saline, no smell, should I start baytril?

She was gien this the day of surgery: Hosp Inj - Antibiotic - Baytril: $15.23 (0.10 ml) - 6 days ago

It could an abcsess... Or scar tissue or something else altogether. I'd keep an eye on it. If it grows then bring her in sooner or if it changes in appearance.

I can't bring her in any time before Jan 3rd. Theres no vet that looks after small animals in until then, my vet and the other vet are both off until then, I do have baytril here, doxy here and metacame here (only 3 days worth of metacam)

xxchelle said:
I wouldn't give any meds until you've consulted a vet.

Well I guess I will have to wait 6 days until my vet is back. The only other vet who sees small animals is off until then too. There is no ER small animal vet as the clinic is a cat/dog clinic and there are no other small animals vets in this damn place.

The location is definitely one that is more seroma or hematoma-like. Do you know how they form Ratty Momma or do you want us to tell you?

The wound looks scabby to me, but they always look not so nice days later. Its the turning point right now...now is when it will start to really heal. When you get your dopey rat back aafter the surgery the incision looks pretty and clean. A few days later because they are moving and stretching, its been pulled open a bit, may look like its been bleeding etc. That's normal. As Jo taught me, just keep your nose in there. It should be fine in 6 days but if not take her in.

lilspaz68 said:
The location is definitely one that is more seroma or hematoma-like. Do you know how they form Ratty Momma or do you want us to tell you?

Yes, please.

lilspaz68 said:
The wound looks scabby to me, but they always look not so nice days later. Its the turning point right now...now is when it will start to really heal. When you get your dopey rat back aafter the surgery the incision looks pretty and clean. A few days later because they are moving and stretching, its been pulled open a bit, may look like its been bleeding etc. That's normal. As Jo taught me, just keep your nose in there. It should be fine in 6 days but if not take her in.

It don't look the nicest, but it looks worst in the picture than it actually is.
I will continue to do the warm compresses on the lump, and I will continue to keep the incisions clean with saline.
Her incisions don't smell, not painful to touch.

Thanks guys.

Back