Eye secretion

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bronwyn

epq6mu.jpg

I don't mean to sound paranoid but...is this normal?
Nuage seemed kind of off ever since he arrived but this is new as of today and the red secretion continues to build as the hours go by. He generally seems lethargic, uninterested in anything but sleeping in his house and just...not what I would consider normal.

I was attributing the other symptoms to stress as he's been bounced around a lot over the past month, getting to me, but this...?

First thing I'd point out is that carefresh can be really irritating to some.

Hopefully some of this is still just new home stress. Best wishes to the new handsome.

Maybe he is coming down with something, Is his breathing normal? I would think he is getting sick with the porphyin build up and lethargy, I think you have reason to be concerned. I am not sure what it means, but maybe he should see a vet...

Hmm, how long would it take for the Carefresh irritation to set in? He arrived in Carefresh so I assumed it to be okay, but I've never used it before him.

His breathing seems clear to my ear. He's also bruxxing and boggling a lot so I'm confused about the mixed signals. He'll be heading to the vet clinic on Tuesday in Toronto for his neuter so I'm hoping he's healthy enough. :( Either way he'll get checked out. I just wonder what it could be. He's in my room which is very quiet and I don't disturb him very often. When I do I just...well talk to him, coax him out for a minute, then he'll return to the wooden house.

Again, the carefresh was just a thought. I wonder if he got some debris in there and it's just making him uncomfortable. Being lethargic could be a stress sign, and bruxxing can be a sign of discomfort as well.

But, I am trying to be optomistic and would be worried also. Hopefully it is all just stress stuff and he'll get over it with a bit more time.

I'm all for thoughts and theories. :D

I did wonder about bruxxing! I recall my girls doing it in times that I didn't think would be all that pleasant, so thank you for shedding light on that one, lol. He boggles too though...could that also be stress?

I wish there were a way to make things calmer but by not handling him and keeping him up in my room where it's completely quiet I'm not sure what else I can do other than hope he's alright. I'm wondering if neutering him later on, perhaps during the Christmas break, might be better. To move him to Toronto and have him undergo surgery (though yes, it's minor) doesn't seem like a brilliant idea at this point.

He is an incredibly quiet laidback fellow so don't be concerned about that fact. I had him on aspen here with no porph, but I know Sarah beds hers on carefresh ultra (was it white?). The grey stuff is what makes me and my rats sneeze and I find very dusty.

Can you bed him down on towels or fleece and see if things improve? He was very very quiet when he got here...I worried over him too a bit. He was in his house or on the shelf and that was it. He takes awhile to adjust to new things but unless you start hearing anything or seeing other symptoms I would consider it new home/possibly carefresh dusties.

You have to remember this fellow in his cage was on my bed for a week (because of the new fosters coming in for 2 days) but he loved it so much I let the cage stay. He was sooo quiet, all night long, I often forgot he was there (he was by my head where the pillows would be on a double bed)

Not white, more condensed looking and browner. I mixed it with the carefresh I bought (when I transferred cages) which is a tiny bit lighter but what you see in the photo I think is mostly Sarah's bedding. I haven't heard a single sneeze though. I just have a bad feeling, I wish I could shake it. He seemed more bright and alert the first couple of days and now I'm fretting since he doesn't move much and when he does it's very slow and seems to take effort. He's been on my bed today and yesterday, mostly sleeping. The wire cage part isn't there, he just sprawls on the pan which works...no duvet pee marks, lol.

I'll keep a close eye...I just can't shake the feeling that something's up. :( I was downstairs for a long time making dinner and such and left him on my bed, no cage to keep him in one spot, but he was exactly where I left him when I came back. : /

Not really. :( He doesn't even know there's another floor to his cage. It was a big deal today when he went all the way across the cage to get an HT block. I believe that was the highlight of his day, the rest was spent sleeping either in his house or sprawled out like a dog or cat on the floor.

Oh ok, he's in his cage. I thought he was on your bed and didn't move. Going through all the changes, I'm not surprised he's got porphyrin and not really moving. Give him more time.

Well, both, lol. I picked him up and set him on the quilt to which he seemed to say, "Well this smells prettier. I think I'll just sit/lie here for a while." He moved about a foot over the past few hours, and is now partially under my quilt nibbling on a block. So he is eating and drinking.

I'll try not to worry too much. Does it seem crazy to want to move the surgery? More stress seems like the last thing he needs right now.

The problem with moving the date is that you get him all happy and used to you and then BANG he gets this shock. Or he's still skittish, gets the surgery and then you can work on him for good, as well as getting your females to work on him too.
See how he is in the next couple of days. When did he come home to you?

Hmm, I see a good argument for both sides! I suppose I worry that by being super stressed his immune system may be weaker but perhaps it's minor enough that it wouldn't actually matter. I worry too much. ;)

He arrived bright and early Saturday morning at the farm, then on Sunday we drove back to Guelph so starting then he wasn't moved.

I nearly had to share my bed last night. He loves the quilt! I haven't seen him yet today (as in taken him out), I've been bouncing around campus so I'll see how he's faring tonight. The ride would be tomorrow to Toronto, the neuter on Tuesday morning.

Just a little update for anyone who's interested. : )

I'm currently in Toronto (as of Friday) and brought Nuageux with me. The porphyrin did clear up but other signs are disturbing me. His sides seem a little sunken in, though he is eating and drinking. His coat isn't being maintained anymore and feels almost greasy now. He's set up on my dresser beside my bed on the pan part of the cage, the actual cage part removed. He doesn't leave the house if I don't make him. It reads more as disinterest rather than fear.

My boyfriend was bonding with him tonight, handfeeding him, and Nuage was calmly eating in his lap and even washed his face afterwards. But as soon as he's aware he's near his house he wants back in and acts like any disturbance is a bother. I do wish he'd perk up a bit. : /

Back