Deno the rat! *intros done + more seizures. :(*

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pred can be given (orally) long term, dex is given (by sub-Q injection) for a max of 5 days, although I think some have given it for longer.

Dex has had dramatic effects
antibiotics must be given with both as they lower the immune system

SQ said:
Pred can be given (orally) long term, dex is given (by sub-Q injection) for a max of 5 days, although I think some have given it for longer.

Dex has had dramatic effects
antibiotics must be given with both as they lower the immune system

What kind of dramatic effects?
Dex has to be injected by the vet right?

mia9_28 said:

Dex relieved Rachael's pt symptoms for awhile. Mamarat had good results with it. I believe lilspaz68 did as well.

No, the vet can show you how to inject it, and sell you the meds.
It is just sub-Q, I give sub-Q injections, as does Lilspaz68 and others.
Lilspaz68 may even have instructions posted on here about how to do it.

SQ said:
mia9_28 said:

Dex relieved Rachael's pt symptoms for awhile. Mamarat had good results with it. I believe lilspaz68 did as well.

No, the vet can show you how to inject it, and sell you the meds.
It is just sub-Q, I give sub-Q injections, as does Lilspaz68 and others.
Lilspaz68 may even have instructions posted on here about how to do it.

Thank you!

I'm anxious for the vet appointment tomorrow...
I just hope that the vet will be able to diagnose him good, as she is new to rats..

I have noticed that Deno's sense of smell is pretty bad... we put treats basically right under his nose, and he couldn't find them....
Which is another sign of PT, am I right?

mia9_28 said:
I have noticed that Deno's sense of smell is pretty bad... we put treats basically right under his nose, and he couldn't find them....
Which is another sign of PT, am I right?
I found my rats got pretty confused after a while, and kind of forgot how to eat sometimes.

I'm at the vet right now and they think it could be due to a kidney issue other than pt?... anyy ever had these symptoms for kidney problems? I'm not sure what to think..

To Victoria: I didn't think so either... and no, he hasn't.

Soooo....as for Deno's appointment... I came back with nothing.

Here is how it went: I told her all the symptoms: seizures, confused, head shaking, clumsy, nose bleeds, and on and on...
And with that, she went out back and did her little research and came back saying it could also be caused by a kidney problem and that she would like to do a blood work to check if they could find anything in his blood that would tell them what's going on. The only problem is: that would cost me another 100$.. which is insane and she had already charged me for two visits since I brought Smokey along to get his leg checked (ugh!). So I asked her if she could simply prescribe the steroids or Bromo or something and then I could see if there's any improvement with him. She then said that they were big drugs, that they would need to be ordered, they require monthly checkups and she wouldn't prescribe them until she was sure of a diagnosis. So, she told me to think about getting the blood work and that I could go back any time to get it done..

So Deno is back... with no meds and no blood work... but still the possibility that he has pt...
And now I don't know what to do. :(

mia9_28 said:
To Victoria: I didn't think so either... and no, he hasn't.

Soooo....as for Deno's appointment... I came back with nothing.

Here is how it went: I told her all the symptoms: seizures, confused, head shaking, clumsy, nose bleeds, and on and on...
And with that, she went out back and did her little research and came back saying it could also be caused by a kidney problem and that she would like to do a blood work to check if they could find anything in his blood that would tell them what's going on. The only problem is: that would cost me another 100$.. which is insane and she had already charged me for two visits since I brought Smokey along to get his leg checked (ugh!). So I asked her if she could simply prescribe the steroids or Bromo or something and then I could see if there's any improvement with him. She then said that they were big drugs, that they would need to be ordered, they require monthly checkups and she wouldn't prescribe them until she was sure of a diagnosis. So, she told me to think about getting the blood work and that I could go back any time to get it done..

So Deno is back... with no meds and no blood work... but still the possibility that he has pt...
And now I don't know what to do. :(

Can you see the other vet when you go home for the holiday and have them fax their diagnosis over? She really shouldn't charge you for another check-up... at the very least only a reduced cost re-check. I would speak to her about it, explain you're a student and it's already so hard to pay for one visit let alone multiple ones to figure out what's wrong with the rat.

She said that she wouldn't charge for another check-up for when I go for the blood work... I would only pay the 100$ fee for the test.
I just hate to have to pay 100$ for her to realize that it was a stupid idea and then maybe consider trying the treatment for pt.

And it's easy to say "set up another appointment"... but today cost me 210$ for Deno and Smokey (really, why couldn't it count as one visit?) and it all came right off my student loan. That little vet fund I had found is long gone.

And what if she doesn't accept the other vet's diagnosis? I can't get the meds from Scott in Freddy, since I wont be able to keep going to him after Christmas, so it has to come from someone near me... there is another vet here in Shippagan (the one I go to is in Tracadie, 30 minutes away from me), but she knows absolutely nothing about rats.
But my vet in Tracadie today proved to me that she's pretty ignorant about rats as well. (she didn't know rats could have pt as well... and I told her about HED and she thought that it had something to do with his bones.. then I said no, and she guessed muscles... I had to explain to her :emb: ) The technician even said that I know more about rats than they do... if only the vet could agree.

And Joanne, if by "Santa" you mean my parents, that's out of question. :/
They both don't have a job.... and I do my best to hide the fact that I bring my rats to the vet most of the time, or else my mom starts to bitch at me about money..

Some meds can be purchased in large amounts as they have expirery dates a couple of years from now.
Some meds can be purchased from the drug store with a perscription from the vet.

Vets will often consult with more experienced vets, or upon request provide meds for another vets patients.

You many be able to get a month or two worth of meds though. Sometime vets can give you meds unmixed or a prescription to fill at a local pharmacy.

Alright... I'll try to get an appointment with Scott over Christmas break (saying this is making me sick to my stomach, just thinking about the $$) and I'll ask him to either give me lots of meds or a prescription to the pharmacy. And maybe beg my mom to death.. lol

OMG. this is horrendous for you! worse to be suffering such desperate worry about your babe, let alone the monetary stuff at this time of year. My heart goes out to you and for what it's worth I'm praying hard that an answer & help come soon and with no more cost. Let's hope Santa really can and does do magic for you. Hugs to you & your babe.

Back