Crumbilina's Rattums

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would try the children/infants advil and see if you notice a difference.

As for the spay Dr. G is in the $200+ range but he's fairly cheap for tumor removals. It might be worth calling Rockwood (they do cheaper spays) to see what they would charge for a tumor removal and spay.

smilez_n_hugs said:
I would try the children/infants advil and see if you notice a difference.

As for the spay Dr. G is in the $200+ range but he's fairly cheap for tumor removals. It might be worth calling Rockwood (they do cheaper spays) to see what they would charge for a tumor removal and spay.

Will do! thanks!!!

How do their tumor removals look? Are they good?

I haven't seen a tumor removal that was done at Rockwood (I don't think Chelle has ever had one done there because she hasn't been in a financial position to have a spay done at the same time) but they do a great job with the spays and neuters.

Cocoa is refusing food. She will try and eat a yogurt drop but she can't quite eat all of it. Almost has trouble grasping it.

I think that she might have a PT :(

Not sure what to do...

She would not take Ensure, water or even her favourite treat. She did take a bit of vitamin water. I don't know if it is good for her, but I figured its liquid so... hopefully it will be ok.

She is also not forming proper raisins... it is like everything is runny, and i gathering on her fur :(

My poor girl :(

Unfortunately I only have Advil which I gave to her since it is an anti-inflammatory so it could help her. I don't normally home dose, but I had no choice in this case.
According to the website my vet is "open" from 9-12 tomorrow. I will be calling them and seeing if someone... anyone could see us.

I dunno what will happen though. She is refusing all food - even those that she would never refuse ever before (she DIDN'T even take part of my cookie!). If she isnt bright eyed and cheery and willing to eat tomorrow, then I think that I know what I have to do. Even if I could get her Pred, she still may not eat. *sigh* I wish things were different.

BUT I got her to drink!!!! She wouldn't drink out of the syringe. So I kinda thought, OK well she is a licky rattie, so maybe she will take it off my fingertips, so I ran 2mL of water down my finger so she could lick it off and she did!!!!! I'm so happy, I don't want her to be dehydrated. I've been badly dehydrated before and it sucked so much.

So at least I can go to bed on a happy note. I will be up every little bit to give her more water/make sure she is drinking but she was just drinking from the bowl in her cage so I think she might be ok...

::hugs:: I'm so sorry about all this... I know you'll do the right thing no matter what. Just know that all our hearts are with you and Cocoa (including all our ratties' hearts).

Back from the vet!

She came home with me :) But I'm certainly not in the clear yet. The next 24+ hours are going to be scary.

He took a look at her and said that she is not in pain, she is just tired. Good. He said, it could be a number of things. She could have organ failure, just because she is old and her system is just shutting down. Her breathing is very laboured and he thought that could be because of a uri, pneumonia, or she could have masses in her lung that migrated from her other 2 masses. And her heart rate is low which could be a result of compromised lungs or organ failure.

SO he said since she isn't in pain, he didn't feel it was necessary to euthanize and we decided to give the antibiotics a go. If she seems to be in pain tomorrow he said just call and he will take her in whenever necessary.

So all in all, I'm very lucky to have more time with her. I thought hard when I was on my way home for things to tempt her to eat and came up with cheese sticks or cream corn baby food. Well the cheese sticks she didn't bother with but she had almost a full 1mL of cream corn baby food so I couldn't be happier now. I know that that means nothing, but I am happy just to get food into her :)

crumbilina said:
Back from the vet!

She came home with me :) But I'm certainly not in the clear yet. The next 24+ hours are going to be scary.

He took a look at her and said that she is not in pain, she is just tired. Good. He said, it could be a number of things. She could have organ failure, just because she is old and her system is just shutting down. Her breathing is very laboured and he thought that could be because of a uri, pneumonia, or she could have masses in her lung that migrated from her other 2 masses. And her heart rate is low which could be a result of compromised lungs or organ failure.

SO he said since she isn't in pain, he didn't feel it was necessary to euthanize and we decided to give the antibiotics a go. If she seems to be in pain tomorrow he said just call and he will take her in whenever necessary.

So all in all, I'm very lucky to have more time with her. I thought hard when I was on my way home for things to tempt her to eat and came up with cheese sticks or cream corn baby food. Well the cheese sticks she didn't bother with but she had almost a full 1mL of cream corn baby food so I couldn't be happier now. I know that that means nothing, but I am happy just to get food into her :)

Be happy Jenny, that IS wonderful!!

Cocoa has been with me all day. Her condition has not changed all that much though. She is still having a hard time breathing... problem is that I think it may be getting worse slowly.

She also has a lot of eye discharge. Her eyes kind of well up, like tears would. So I groom it off with a Kleenex for her.

She has been eating a bit... she has had a total of about 2mL of cream corn today. I will try again a bit later. I won't force it. She hasn't had any liquid though... I got some grape rehydration formula and she started but stopped. I'll give her some time. Consuming things seems to tire her out.

My poor girl.

Thanks for all the well wishes guys!

Back