Could this be PT? Please help

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pheeewie !!! I gave Doodles Some of the Gerber soy for the 1st time.
She obviosly had gas from it !!! :eek:mg2: :yikes:-- To my knowledge she has neve has gas before, at least not that I noticed. I mixed it just like it said....adding the same amount of water as soy. Now it does have on the label Plus Iron in very small print. Hope THAT was not the issue. I do believe I am hesitant to give it to her again. Of course she ate it up just fine. I mixed it with baby rice cereal & some baby food squash. Maybe should have watered it down more than it suggested as it is concentrated.
Any thoughts on this ??? Don't want a gassie rattie - & it smelled like rat poop - just the " air version " Yogurt has never has that effect on her.
Oh yeah - I too have worried abt drowning in the baby food mixtures when she is doing bad. When it is at that point - I tilt & hold the dish while she eats or just syringe feed becuz she has takena a few nose dives into it........

Last edited:
I've made an appointment with the vet for 3:30pm today to have Milo PTS. It's not been an easy decision but i feel it's the best one for him. His quality of life is non existent, he sleeps all the time and is only awake for not even an hour a day to try and eat. This morning he can barely stand up, he's rolling out of the beds and looks so lost and helpless, i think helping him cross over is all i can do now. :sad4:

I've made an appointment with the vet for 3:30pm today to have Milo PTS. It's not been an easy decision but i feel it's the best one for him. His quality of life is non existent, he sleeps all the time and is only awake for not even an hour a day to try and eat. This morning he can barely stand up, he's rolling out of the beds and looks so lost and helpless, i think helping him cross over is all i can do now. :sad4:

I'm so sorry it is the hardest yet most loving decision to make! Just hold him and talk to him the whole time - let him know how loved he is. That is what I did. You might want to bring his buddies with so they can see he is gone. I wish I had done that since my boys seemed confused for quite awhile wondering where their cage mates were. I'm sure my boys will be there to great him - he won't be alone there are many great rattie over the bridge..... :sad3:

Pheeewie !!! I gave Doodles Some of the Gerber soy for the 1st time.
She obviosly had gas from it !!! :eek:mg2: :yikes:-- To my knowledge she has neve has gas before, at least not that I noticed. I mixed it just like it said....adding the same amount of water as soy. Now it does have on the label Plus Iron in very small print. Maybe should have watered it down more than it suggested as it is Don't want a gassie rattie - & it smelled like rat poop - just the " air version " QUOTE]

Rattie gas - yep that about discribes it!! Try having 15 boys - it can get a bit stinking and they don't get formula! The iron might have done it, the soy never bothered my guys.

I checked the forum @ work today - and found out about Milo.
I am so deeply sorry khalirats :cries:....you made the decision that is so hard to do , but was the right thing to do. They have such short little lives and then something so terrible cuts it even shorter. But Milo was loved and had a great mom. What more could a fat rattie boy ask for?

I know my dreaded day will come. I really appreciate talking with you & the others , as it is nice to have people that understand the greif we go through & the great love we share for thes wonderful critters.

God bless & may your broken heart heal with all the fond memories you will always have of him:flowers::flowers3:

Thankyou all for your kind words, and for your support and advice here to help me give my sick boy the best care possible, i appreciate it so much :heart:

You're right 2rats, its really nice to have somewhere to talk with people going through the same things and know how you feel. I hope Doodles is still doing okay at the moment?

How many more rats do you have khalirats ?

Doodles , unfortunately has started another crash - her 5th one I believe since early January this year. That's ok - I am becoming a pro with a syringe! Today will probably be the last day she can eat on her own so she'll be smuggled into work with me the rest of the week. If the "usual" pattern continues - a week from now she will be back to as normal as she can be under the circumstances.

When you feel a bit better - I would like to see pics of your other rats:balloons3: hang in there ........

Sorry to hear Doodles is on another crash, fingers crossed she improves again soon, and sending lots of hugs and kisses to her from myself and my boys! :rathugz:

I've got 2 rats left now, Tyrion and Dexter. Here's some random photos of them :)

Tyrion
20131125_153228.jpg

Dexter
20130501_184522.jpg

Snuggled together
20130228_152653.jpg

and this is Tyrion yesterday
20140401_194021.jpg

W:kisses:W - you have some great lookin boys there !

It's so nice you have them especially since your loss. Again - I am so sorry:sad-p:.

Doodles is kinda loopy right now - no balance, squinty eyes and her crazy yoga positions! She also makes the cutest & strangest noises during these phases. From peeps to squeels and sometime strange breathing. I have had her on a "maintenance" dose of Baytril for a while due to all the Prednisone she takes. Ugggh - I DO hope it passes as all the other bad phases have. Her appetite does not slow down though - but it takes forever with a syringe. I have measured that about 6cc's equal a teaspoon full of baby food ( what I call porridge ). As long as she can & is still willing to eat I will be ok with going through all this as she seems to be content, Once she comes around in about 4-7 days she is able to climb & pretty much do anything except use her front paws normally to eat - Oh & she will not use her excersice wheel anymore. I would say her balance on her good days is right at about 85%. So off to the office we go every day ....we spend my lunch hour - or most of it in the parking lot in my truck making sure she gets nice & full & then throughout the day I manage to sneak her a few syringes here & there when no one is looking:whistle:

I am very late responding to this, but just learned of it. I'm very sorry you lost Milo. With your other rats, if you experience symptoms like that again, it could very well be an inner ear infection. I lost a few rats this way thinking it was PT, and finally did a necropsy on one and it wasn't a tumour. That's when I started being aggressive with amoxicillin in these circumstances. Along with pred or dex. Baytril doesn't really do anything for an inner ear infection. However, you can give baytril and amoxicillin together, so you're not messing up your medical regime for myco, for instance.

BTW, Metacam is bad for rats and should be used only short-term for a few days - five days maximum. And you have to wait 48 hours between using a NSAID and a steroid in a rat or guinea pig. A week if it is a dog or cat. (Metacam is very bad for cats too, but is drug of choice for guinea pigs).

You have to give at least 24 hours between pred or dex as well, btw.

If you have a rat that is experiencing a myco attack, Dex is a better option than pred because they've recently learned that Dex just doesn't act as a steroid, it also actively attacks myco.

With rats, if they have active myco, the recommended course of action is to start them on baytril & doxy at the most mild of symptoms, including a grunt, which we shouldn't hear, and keep them on baytril & doxy long term as in a minimum of 6 weeks and for older rats, for the rest of their lives.

and with old rats where there is noisy breathing, keep them on steroids long term too. Low dose, or do pulse therapy with steroids. This site http://ratguide.com/
has some very good medical advice with treating myco and other rats issues. A vet who works with a rat rescue help them do the medical portion of the site. He has done hundreds of necropsies on rats. The rescue is operated by a vet tech.

http://ratguide.com/

The woman who runs the site isn't as big on amoxicillin or bactrim as I am with regard to secondary infections, but I have had a lot of success lately with intermitent use of bactrim or amoxicillin in conjunction with doxy/baytril. Secondary infections are common in rats too. But keeping Myco in check with more aggressive and longer term use of baytril and doxy is also helpful with helping keep secondary infections at bay. But adding a secondary infection drug like amox or bactrim has proven to be very effective with my previous groups of rats and with really sick rescue rats.

My current & healthy group - they are turning two in a few weeks - I've noticed that when I take them off min dose baytril & doxy now, the symptoms start up again within a few weeks. So... I've made the decision to keep them on it for the rest of their lives to prevent myco from doing its dirty work behind the scenes. Even when rats are relatively symptom free, myco can still be very active and causing scar tissue etc. The site has good information regarding exactly HOW myco damages the lungs. Frightening, actually.

After communicating with Lyndsey from the site last Sept, I followed their advice and this group remains in good shape. It will be interesting to see what happens six or nine months down the road. I think if I follow through with doxy/batril at this point, I might be lucky and get to avoid steroids all together since this group has never been sick, other than showing extremely mild symptoms a couple of times.

I used pred for two months on a old rescue rat and it kept him comfortable and active until the last day. Then long term use of pred caught up to him, along with everything else, but he would have had to have been euthanized many weeks earlier if not for pred.

He and his brother arrived in bad shape, and the first time I weaned one brother off pred because he was symptom-free, his symptoms exploded and I had to euthanize him a day later. Putting him back on pred didn't stop the progression at that point. The vet who works with the rescue said that steroids are an extremely important part of keeping a rat comfortable and improving quality of life. He feels strongly that a lot of vets are not using them enough, or long enough. There are side effects with steroids, of course, but in most instances, the rat would have been PTS earlier without use of them.

http://ratguide.com/

Khali,
I just saw this thread last night and starting reading about Milo and watching his video, having no idea that he had passed away, until I kept reading and realized what had happened. He touched my heart so much and I was so very sad about what happened. I am so sorry he could not pull through and I know how extremely difficult it was for you to think of his quality of life and make the decision to help him along to the Bridge. I have gone through "the decision" before with two of my rats and it hurts like hell, even knowing I was doing right by my boys, who were suffering. I feel for you and again, I am so sorry about Milo. He was just a beautiful boy and I feel like I got to know him through your thread. I send all my love up to him and I know he is happy and pain free now, with lots of friends to play with. You did right by him and I know he is smiling down at you. Play free, sweet Milo. I miss you.

Back