Could this be PT? Please help

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Khali / 911:

First I am so sorry to hear Milo is not doing well & 911 I know it must have broke your heart about Curley.

Do/did your babies have crash spells where you thought they may not make it & then they kinda bounced back to some kind of normalcy?
That just makes me a nervouse wreck & I stay stressed during that time. Usualy lasts 4 - 7 days for my Doodles. Bless her heart - but she is just so sweet and cuddly during this phase. I too don't know if it is because she feels comfort from me or if she just really does not have a choice. I would like to think that it is because I can offer her some sort of comfort:kisskiss:.

I have 7 of her & Possum's offspring that will be a year old on Easter. I cannot even imagine going thru this 7 more times... surely they would not all get a PT:worry: Are they hereditery ? Say "no"

First of all this is Curley's story. No, he never really showed days of improvement - hours maybe a day, but not days. We didn't catch it until really late.
http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27850

Sorry to say yes, and like you we still have three of Curley's sons. I panic with every little thing they do that could be a PT symptom. Bumbles and Kona have been on PT watch for months since both get dull eyes and one bulges on occasion, which may or may not be an early symptom since Curley had that too.

I just read Mr. Curley's story. Wow - you certainly did everything you could:love4:. He sure was a handsome boy:love4:.
I know you were so ready to pull your hair out & probably pull all the different vets' hair out too !!!
I bet he's scampering over & under the bridge with tons of ratties !
Dreading the day I eventually face . . .

:hug4:​

I just read Mr. Curley's story. Wow - you certainly did everything you could:love4:. He sure was a handsome boy:love4:.
I know you were so ready to pull your hair out & probably pull all the different vets' hair out too !!!
I bet he's scampering over & under the bridge with tons of ratties !
Dreading the day I eventually face . . .

:hug4:​

I reread his story last night and it was heartbreaking all over again, but I wanted to see if he had bursts of good times that I didn't remember. Just make sure you stay with your baby during the whole process that is what we did. We also had him pts with Finn so they went together and neither was alone. You will feel an emptiness for awhile - not gonna lie and cleaning the cage may take some time - I didn't do it for awhile made the hubby do it. Get paw prints whether it be on paper or plaster - we get plaster ones made at the crematory. I don't know what your plans are, but we cremate privately and purchase tiny urns for each our boys.

Milo hasn't improved at all since this started, just declining all the time. He's active for maybe 20-30 minutes in the evening when he will run around the floor, apart from that its just eat and sleep. He doesnt even use the litter tray anymore. He's been feeding himself quite well since yesterday though. I'm getting all my babies' paw prints on paper soon, im designing a tattoo and want one of each of their little paw prints in it :heart:

Edit: I also weighed them all last night, Milo was always my big hunky boy at almost 800g (in January this year), he's now down to around 580g. Tyrion has also lost 100g since his respiratory issues have gotten worse. Dexter on the other hand has gained 50g and is now my resident chunky hunk.

Milo hasn't improved at all since this started, just declining all the time. He's active for maybe 20-30 minutes in the evening when he will run around the floor, apart from that its just eat and sleep. He doesnt even use the litter tray anymore. He's been feeding himself quite well since yesterday though. I'm getting all my babies' paw prints on paper soon, im designing a tattoo and want one of each of their little paw prints in it :heart:

Edit: I also weighed them all last night, Milo was always my big hunky boy at almost 800g (in January this year), he's now down to around 580g. Tyrion has also lost 100g since his respiratory issues have gotten worse. Dexter on the other hand has gained 50g and is now my resident chunky hunk.

Its sad when they cannot do anything anymore. Curley would pee and just lay in it and of course he would need the plugs cleaned out since he could not groom himself. Its so sad to watch them end up this way. I'm glad he's still eating and showing some, yet brief time of enjoyment for you. Glad the other two are doing alright.

It's so heart breaking to see them unable to do things for themselves. I had two boys before the three i have now, one of them - Sam, lived to almost 2 years, he had HED in the end and i did everything for him, including cleaning plugs, trimming his toe nails, cleaning his ears and so on, it was the hardest thing ever to decide his quality of life was too poor for him to carry on, he was PTS just a few days before his 2nd birthday :(

Milo can still groom himself at the moment, though he tends to do it while lying down, or when he's out he leans against me and i support him so he can have a good wash without rolling over. I've noticed Dexter grooms him quite a lot too :heart:

It's so heart breaking to see them unable to do things for themselves. I had two boys before the three i have now, one of them - Sam, lived to almost 2 years, he had HED in the end and i did everything for him, including cleaning plugs, trimming his toe nails, cleaning his ears and so on, it was the hardest thing ever to decide his quality of life was too poor for him to carry on, he was PTS just a few days before his 2nd birthday :(

Milo can still groom himself at the moment, though he tends to do it while lying down, or when he's out he leans against me and i support him so he can have a good wash without rolling over. I've noticed Dexter grooms him quite a lot too :heart:

I remember setting up the cage with items Finn could lean on/prop himself up on so he could groom/eat by himself... He had kidney disease, but that is a whole different thread... but just as bad a disease.

Hi Ladies ::

Yes - it is sooo sad that they have all these problems. I guess it stems from inbreeding huh? "Back in the day" when I was a teenager - I had a black hooded rat that lived to be 4 + years old - NEVER had a single problem. As a matter of fact - he died from a heart attack. He was having problems breathing - but NOT congestion or anything like that, so my mom took us to the vet and he literally died as soon as I put him on the table! Up until that day he never had any problems. The vet said his lungs were clear and seconds after that he just fell over and died. It's been 38 years & I still remember that!:crazy2:

Anyways - back to our babies .... Khalirats ~ Can you post a pic of Milo?
Doodles still goin strong - for now. 911 ~ I definately do spend all the time I can with her, for sure. I remember the 1st crash she had- I was in such a hurry to get home from work that day hoping to be able to hold her & spend time w/ her before she passed, as I was sure she would. She is my little "puller-througher" ( I know it's just temporary ), so now when she is in crash mode she goes to work with me so that I can syringe feed her and have her near. No one knows @ work but one lady. It's a risk I take but I don't care. I am sure everyone would freak out & my anal boss would tell me to take her home:mad:. NOT happening:soapbox:

This was Milo when he was healthy, my chubby little monster

1654186_10151869658320951_667006277_n.jpg

1621963_10151869658515951_1447297002_n.jpg

This is him last night
20140328_182000.jpg

With his brothers last night - Milo on the left, then Tyrion and Dexter on the right
20140328_223718.jpg

And a rat pile from the other day, Milo is on the bottom
20140326_112626.jpg

I would take my babies to work too if i had to, sod what anyone else thought! Luckily i work from home anyway so im with him most of the day, but i would absolutely smuggle him into a desk to look after him!

@ 2Rats that is awesome that you can sneak her into work. I have taken my boys to work and put them in our locker room when I have to have them at a vet appointment or something and have no time to go home. No one has a problem with that - in fact, they sometimes get played with. The guys at work however, freak out. So I guess if you want to get out of a speeding ticket or something - carry a rat in your car - they run away screaming like little girls!

Today while @ the grocery store I bought some soy - see attachment.
Is this good for her? I think I have read where it is. I am stocking up on different stuff, I think she gets bored with the same ole same ole !

Snapped a couple of pic of her wide eyed & bushy -tailed last night too. I love it while it lasts cuz I know in a few days she won't be that way:disbelief:.
Also I found my clay paw print stuff that I received for Chirstmas last year ( thanks 911 for the reminder haha ). I will be taking some paw prints .

I dont know what happened to my post before this last one -
But I had posted that Milo is ADORABLE :love6:- I love his coloration! Isn't it awesome how the brothers enjoy piling up together - I just love to see that. They are all cuties..... I send all my most positive thoughts his way. What a handsome guy he is. Ratties are special - very special creatures :heart::heart::heart:

Today while @ the grocery store I bought some soy - see attachment.
Is this good for her? I think I have read where it is. I am stocking up on different stuff, I think she gets bored with the same ole same ole !

Snapped a couple of pic of her wide eyed & bushy -tailed last night too. I love it while it lasts cuz I know in a few days she won't be that way:disbelief:.
Also I found my clay paw print stuff that I received for Chirstmas last year ( thanks 911 for the reminder haha ). I will be taking some paw prints .

She is so pretty and its good that she seems to be grasping the side of that plastic container. I used similac soy formula, but I'm sure that is fine too. I just love nakies!!

Thankyou for the lovely comments about my handsome little monkeys! Doodles looks beautiful in those pics 2rats! I do love nakies :heart:

We had an awful night here last night. At play time Milo didn't come out, i got him out so i could see him and he was just hanging limp while i was holding him, he hardly ate anything, couple of mouthfuls at most, then just slept all night. He was falling while standing still, walking in circles and rolling around, the worst i've seen him so far.
I upped his pred to the maximum dose, and gave him some bromo again which i stopped the other week as it didnt seem to make a difference, i thought, hey, what's there to lose in trying again?!

Anyway, this morning he was a little brighter, he was seeking out food and had a good amount of banana and rice baby food from my hand, a small bit of apple he managed to nibble and a little porridge. I've noticed he struggles with any solid food now, he's only really getting baby food, mashed banana, mashed avocado and smushed up eggs. Any suggestions for other soft/liquid things i can give him that would be good for him? I'm not sure what brands of soy are okay for him here in the UK, is there anything particular to avoid?

My heart breakes for you & Milo - I know exactly what you are going though. The falling & rolling over really gets to me when Doodles is doing that - Uggggh - it is so hard to see:( - I just hate it ! I am tearing up now just picturing it, I HATE Pituitary Tumors !!! and what they put our ratties & us through!!!

One good thing about naked ratties is that they are SO easy to run under the water for a quick bath - they dry almost instantly -

khalirats - I think the baby food route is probably the best thing you can offer Milo along with mixing it with the baby cereals. Maybe some yogurt too. When Doodles is doing bad - I am always so worried she is going to choke on stuff that is not moist enough.... OMG - I worry all the time when she is bad off:pale:

Sorry again guys PT just sucks! Just stick to mushy foods, but watch them when eating. I was always so afraid Curley was going to drown in his ensure, etc since he was just plopping his face into the dish and laying there.

Back