Cooper had surgery (graphic pictures) Dec 2002-Apirl 11 2010

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dahlas

A week ago I noticed a lump on my dog Cooper's elbow......we took him to the vet and she did x-rays and determined it was a tumor. A biopsy determined it was cancer and so we scheduled surgery the next day to remove it. Unfortunately it was so entwined in the joint the vet was unable to remove it.....We sent the tumor away and is was determined it was a soft tissue sarcoma and that our best course of action was amputation IF the chest and lungs where clear. Our vet x-rayed Cooper's chest the next day and checked the liver and everything was clear.....so we went ahead with the amputation. It was one of the longest days of our lives. Cooper came through the surgery with flying colors. That night we went to visit him.....it was heartbreaking to see our boy with his front leg cut off laying so still on the floor. But the next morning he was back to normal. It was simply incredible. I went to pick him up and he jumped to his feet when he saw us.......he jumped in the van by himself and looked so happy to be coming home. It is amazing that less then 24 hours after major surgery this dog can jump up and get around so good. He is resting a lot...content to lay by my hubby's feet. His appetite is great and he is in very good spirits. He is an amazing dog. We love him so much. He was a foster dog over 5 years ago. He came to us very thin and covered in whip marks......but still he loved everyone.After nursing him back to health we just could not part with him. Everyone who meets him loves him.....
We are thrilled our boy is home...and doing great.

This is Cooper last winter.....
20090322_45.jpg

Here he is less then 24 hours after his amputation
DSCF4383.jpg

The day he came home...look how good he is moving!!!!
http://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s30/ ... CF4381.flv

Today.....a day and 1/2 after surgery
DSCF4401.jpg

DSCF4408.jpg

That is amazing! I can't believe how alert and happy he looks! Thank you for sharing his story.

The cat in the background makes me laugh, I can't decide if she looks content to have him home or wishes you'd send him back. LOL

Aww Dahlas he looks amazingly well :)
It will be no time before his fur is growing back and his stitches are out and he looks just as good as he did before. Legs? pfft who needs legs!

he looks AMAZING hun!
it always shocks me, how as humans we'd be down in the dumps with an amputation, but with animals, it's like nothing ever happened!
Give him a snuggle for me.
:heart: :heart: :heart:

StaceyM said:
That is amazing! I can't believe how alert and happy he looks! Thank you for sharing his story.

The cat in the background makes me laugh, I can't decide if she looks content to have him home or wishes you'd send him back. LOL

That is my girl Minnie. She is a real nursemaid and wanted to lay next to him.....but I think he was worried she would hurt his incision......because he looked uncomfortable every time she snuggled in....finally she took the hint and laid on the couch...close but not to close.

Thanks everyone. I know I can always count on my rat shack friends for kind and encouraging comments..You guys are the best :hugs:

sausage4ever said:
He looks so good!! Hopefully that will be the last of his cancer troubles!

I hope so to!!!! The vet thinks it was just in the elbow.....chest, liver and lymph nodes all look good. So we will pray for the best.

He looks great! It is so amazing to me how quickly they adapt to any change. They don't become disabled at all!

Here is to many more happy (3 legged) years with Cooper!

I was reading somewhere about how some dogs can detect cancer through scent. Perhaps he knew there was something wrong with his leg, in which case, he'd be very happy that you fixed it for him. He has such a handsome smile. :heart:

Yay :happydance: for Cooper and it doesn't look like he is about to be "out run" by any 4 legged dog...anytime soon.
P.S. he's so cute, reminds me of a "black" golden retriever. :D

Your dog is gorgeous! He reminds me sooo much of my neighbors dog (just smaller), he did not have such a good outcome.

I love how fast animals recover, most times they act as if nothing ever happened... :joy: :joy: for Cooper!!!

My neighbors dog:
[spoiler:1hyxolks]Just so I don't rob your thread, but here are the pics of the dog I was talking about

November2007020.jpg

December2007092.jpg
[/spoiler:1hyxolks]

My old dog Zeus had bone cancer, and we amputated his leg. It's amazing how quickly they adapt to it, as if nothing ever happened.

Wow!! Cooper is amazing, I love hearing about how these poor dogs who have been abused still love people, its amazing that they would ever trust another human being. (though I do know some never come right :( ) Cooper is looking so well after his op. :heart:

It looks awful, but he's gonna adapt to it a whole lot sooner than you will. You'll quit seeing it when the fur grows back, he'll have forgotten it long before then. Speaking from experience...
Yeah, it's a big deal alright to you and the kid, but not as big a deal to the kid as getting across the room for a treat or something interesting. :D My kid was my cat Sierra, she climbed trees, stairs, and my esteem missing a back leg. Kisses to Cooper!

Thanks everyone.....your support means a lot to me.
We had a bit of a rough day on Friday.....Cooper would look at me with the saddest eyes. So full of uncertainty...it was heartbreaking. But I didn't let him see how sad I was.....I kept up a brave face. I layed with him and we cuddled and I sang to him.
Today is was so sunny here and very mild...so Cooper and I sat out in the sun for a bit.....then he came in and had a nap..when he woke up we went out and sat in the sun again.
He really is doing good. His appetite is good....he sleeps good and doesn't need any help getting around. But he is very tired and rests almost all the time......He has a lot of bruising and fluid, which the vet says is normal. I know he will be fine and everyday he is a bit better but it has been a very long couple of weeks......

He normally wears a modified T-shirt but I took it off so he could get some fresh air.
coopday6.jpg

Back