Chilly Rats Home (baby pics Pg4+)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asheka

Their story starts here: http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&p=292938#p292938

So, decided since I definitely want to be kept updated on these ladies, to start their own thread. Today, we drove out to rescue these poor girls that Sapphy-San helped gain info for after being able to take home their father.

I must say it took A LOT of effort to keep my mouth shut while at this woman's place. It's worse than originally though. The cage wasn't IN a shed...it was outside of a shed, completely open to the elements and predators. It look almost like a small Martin's cage set up but galvanized and only one door...There were DOZENS of other cages of various sizes around....She claimed she just started breeding them and people would buy them and then she ended up with 17 babies at once and had to get rid of them....Although she toyed with the idea of keeping the one (who I believe is very pregnant) for the babies...She was the first I scooped out and the calmest of the three...

Apparently she has (or had, I'm not sure...) ferrets, GPs, rabbits, chinchillas...along with dogs, geese, turkeys, and goats...all in the same area I might add....oh and I know I saw a couple cats not far from the cages....I didn't get a look inside the shed the rats were near, but I assume there's more cages with possibly more animals....I mentioned the male and other female that were gone, and she seemed to avoid the subject....so either she didn't want to tell me what happened or she's stupid enough to keep them to breed again... :redhot:

As we were leaving she commented that I was nuts coming out all that way just for rats....and that she loved them but "they just breed too much" :emb: :emb: :emb: :emb: I hate people.

Anyway, all three of these lovely girls are now here with me until Stacey can pick them up. Two, in my opinion, are himis, one looks to be a PEW. All red eyes and dumbo ears though...Gorgeous. The PEW is the one I believe to be pregnant, and the calmest of the three. The bigger of the himis is slightly calm and is actually out and about looking at me from the cage right now. Besides some sneezies though they seem alright...Although I'm getting a closer look and the PEWs one eye as she's gulping down water ( :rant: ) and one looks a little watery and almost partially closed...but she hides when I try to get a closer look.

Well, I know this is what you're waiting for. I took a bunch of pics for the ladies involved in this rescue, but here are two group shots and one of the PEW...she didn't want to get off my arm when I took her out of the box... :sad3: hmmm...she's out a bit and might have some light markings...but I'll let the experts decide on all this.

IMG_2127.jpg

IMG_2134.jpg

IMG_2130.jpg

These three girls will have an appointment with the rescue vet on Wednesday. My vet and I will figure out who is a candidate for an e-spay and who's not. We'll also figure out if anyone is sick.

Thank you Asheka for picking these girls up, and Stacey for getting them closer to me!

xxchelle said:
These three girls will have an appointment with the rescue vet on Wednesday. My vet and I will figure out who is a candidate for an e-spay and who's not. We'll also figure out if anyone is sick.

Thank you Asheka for picking these girls up, and Stacey for getting them closer to me!

Awesome news Chelle!! I personally think the one is too far along, but I'm not an expert or a vet lol I hope they are all alright as they are absolutely beautiful!! Really makes me wish the circumstances were different :heart:

Oh they are beautiful<3 I didn't know it was that bad out there. >_< I feel bad for leaving them the first time now. As you can tell, they get their good looks from their papa. Ears and all.

Edit: He's been sleepy and sad looking. My question is would he miss his girls?

Sapphy-San said:
Oh they are beautiful<3 I didn't know it was that bad out there. >_< I feel bad for leaving them the first time now. As you can tell, they get their good looks from their papa. Ears and all.

Yea, in the dark it would've been hard to tell if the cage was in or out of the shed...and definitely couldn't see anything without light either...

He could miss them, yes...but once he's neutered and intro-ed with your girls I'm sure he'll be happy as clam! :D

Asheka said:
Sapphy-San said:

Yea, in the dark it would've been hard to tell if the cage was in or out of the shed...and definitely couldn't see anything without light either...

He could miss them, yes...but once he's neutered and intro-ed with your girls I'm sure he'll be happy as clam! :D

I knew it was outside..I was standing in the mud trying to get the missing male for 10 minutes. My pants are stil muddy and covered in blood from when he bit me. And I knew there was a turkey...It was sitting on he fence that night. My mother is trying to resist calling and reporting her, but her reasoning is that the rats have homes now and are safe and karma will bit Jayne in the butt eventually.

I hope he'll cheer up...but first to find a vet. Be sure to pass one with a GREAT service and a low price around if you can....^_^;

*saves the girls pictures* <3

I would definitely talk your mom into reporting her cuz there's other animals there too....

I know lj has an amazing vet, he's in London. That's where I'll be taking mine.

so...after closer inspection finally...what we have here are two girls and one boy.....The biggest himi is definitely male and I feel quite stupid for missing it....
The pregnant one seems to be laying around somewhat weird positions and breathing slightly harder...I'm worried she may pop before getting to you.

Stacey and I are gunna talk in a bit as she may be able to come out tonight instead.

From those butt pics, the shading and the colouration I am thinking those 2 other rats are siamese not himilayan. Himi's are PEW's with points basically. :)

Awww so it was 2 females that disappeared :(

lilspaz68 said:
From those butt pics, the shading and the colouration I am thinking those 2 other rats are siamese not himilayan. Himi's are PEW's with points basically. :)

Awww so it was 2 females that disappeared :(

ah, I thought it was the other way around! lol

Yea, I guess it was two more females that vanished.... :sad3: If she was right anyway....

Asheka said:
so...after closer inspection finally...what we have here are two girls and one boy.....The biggest himi is definitely male and I feel quite stupid for missing it....
The pregnant one seems to be laying around somewhat weird positions and breathing slightly harder...I'm worried she may pop before getting to you.

Stacey and I are gunna talk in a bit as she may be able to come out tonight instead.

Watch it..he can be grumpy. >_>;; My finger still hurts when I bend it.

It's sad if she has to be e-spayed before...But if she has the litter, it a lot for work, wouldn't it be? I remember the problems my mice gave me when they kept getting knocked up. I was too young to really seperate them and such so they kept reproducing.

The mama is stressed and that could be the cause of labour. Madame went into early labour because her mate attacked her and the babies were smaller then normal and were picked off. Some made it, but they were small. Poor Peewee...

If she does pop, then what?

Sapphy-San said:
Asheka said:

It's sad if she has to be e-spayed before...But if she has the litter, it a lot for work, wouldn't it be? I remember the problems my mice gave me when they kept getting knocked up. I was too young to really seperate them and such so they kept reproducing.

The mama is stressed and that could be the cause of labour. Madame went into early labour because her mate attacked her and the babies were smaller then normal and were picked off. Some made it, but they were small. Poor Peewee...

Keep in mind, you were trying to get him in the dark and he was scared out of his mind. I'm actually more worried about getting bit by the smaller female, but no biting or even attempts yet.

Yea, I was thinking all the stress could bring on early labor....course, I don't know how far along she is either...she could be ready for all I know.
If she pops, well, Chelle's gunna have some babies on board I guess...

Oh, and on a side note, litter training these guys should be a snap! I've already noticed them all going to the same spot in the cage in one of the far corners from their hiding box to poop :D

Sapphy-San said:
Asheka said:

All up to Chelle/Stacey/Ronda but lots of people have transported new litters. Mice are a bit different than rats.

From the look of her, the PEW is likely beyond e-spay time.

Those poor sweethearts. I am so glad that you were able to get them. Great team effort, for some rats who really needed you. :thumbup:

Hard not to get cynical when you run across things like that. :(

lilspaz68 said:
All up to Chelle/Stacey/Ronda but lots of people have transported new litters. Mice are a bit different than rats.

From the look of her, the PEW is likely beyond e-spay time.

Yea, she's pretty huge....I just hope she holds out until she gets to Chelle so it's a lot easier on her and the babies...

Asheka said:
Sapphy-San said:
Asheka said:

Keep in mind, you were trying to get him in the dark and he was scared out of his mind. I'm actually more worried about getting bit by the smaller female, but no biting or even attempts yet.

Yea, I was thinking all the stress could bring on early labor....course, I don't know how far along she is either...she could be ready for all I know.
If she pops, well, Chelle's gunna have some babies on board I guess...

Oh, and on a side note, litter training these guys should be a snap! I've already noticed them all going to the same spot in the cage in one of the far corners from their hiding box to poop :D

Lol Yes I've noticed Rhett goes in one corner alone unlike my girls... I might litter train him. Hopefully we'll continue to get updates till they all have homes. :)

Back