CCH IN DESPERATE NEED OF DONATIONS - Goal Reached!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All 4 legged animals do just fine on 3 legs. :heart: Was there a reason they took the whole leg as apposed to just the foot?

UPDATE

The whole ordeal has come to a total of $770 so we are only $343 short...thanks to all who have donated.

Maple said:
All 4 legged animals do just fine on 3 legs. :heart: Was there a reason they took the whole leg as apposed to just the foot?

They ended up removing it at the knee because of how far the damage from the blood loss went up the leg and because you wouldnt do the amputation half way up the shin. He still has his whole thigh you just dont see it because of the way rats hold their upper leg.

Maple said:
I wouldn't say all :wink: (horses come to mind)...I just wasn't sure how well a rat would get around, they walk a bit different than a dog.

For lack of a better way to describe it, he now moves more like a chinchilla (moves more with his front paws and hops with his back), while keeping his tail to one side for balance. It's absolutely adorable! He's such a trooper!

This update will be kind of all over the place, as it's 5:45 in the morning, and I haven't slept yet, or much at all in the past few days.

I have so many bags of thawed mushy peas now from icing his foot when it was all swollen. HAHA. *tosses in garbage*

I've been up all night with Avatar and smilez_n_hugs, sewing hammocks and visiting and what not. Clod isn't picking at all at his stitches, which makes me happy. I can sleep in peace tonight (well, what's left of the night...) and know he's okay.

I think he misses his siblings, he sits and stares longingly at the cage and all the frolicking. He had play time tonight with all his siblings, he really really enjoyed it. I'll try to get another video tomorrow of them all running around. From above, when you just see them running, it's SO hard to tell which one is Clod! He runs just as fast as the others. I feel bad that he can't go back in with them yet. But the vet said the majority of the time, the culprit for chewing out stitches is cagemates, and with hyperactive babies, it's a recipe for disaster. And I don't need any more disaster for a LONG time!

I need to sit down and have a very serious talk with my rats about avoiding emergencies. I've seen entirely too much of my vet lately. :lol:

Alright. Bed, I think? Sounds good. :nod:

A few years ago, our Sven was amputated at the thigh. Our vet didn't want to leave a stump in case it would get used too much and become infected. Sven acted like nothing happened and he remained alpha of his colony, this was done to him when he was 24 months old.
Will you be keeping little Cloddie? I would love to see updates of this wonderful little man throughout his life.
My donation is from myself, my mom and sister... it's too bad it was still that high. :(

The thread he got caught on, was it part of a cotton or flannel hammock? A couple of years ago, I found a thread winding around one of my rats' necks. Fortunately, I caught it before it got tight. I shudder to think what I would have found if I had not gone to check on them.

jorats said:
A few years ago, our Sven was amputated at the thigh. Our vet didn't want to leave a stump in case it would get used too much and become infected. Sven acted like nothing happened and he remained alpha of his colony, this was done to him when he was 24 months old.
Will you be keeping little Cloddie? I would love to see updates of this wonderful little man throughout his life.
My donation is from myself, my mom and sister... it's too bad it was still that high. :(

The thread he got caught on, was it part of a cotton or flannel hammock? A couple of years ago, I found a thread winding around one of my rats' necks. Fortunately, I caught it before it got tight. I shudder to think what I would have found if I had not gone to check on them.

Clodhopper's thanks to you, your sister, and your mother! Every little bit is appeciated. I'm about 90% sure that it was a flannel and fleece hammock that he got caught on, but there was a small bit of hand-sewing done on it, and those threads + the frayed edge of the hammock combined to be a horrible mix! (Or at least, that's the story I have managed to garnish, I'm sure chelle will be on to correct me shortly ;))

Also, thank you to everyone else that had made donations thus far, or thought about him in his time of need! Clodhopper sends his love and his thanks! His spirits are high and his eyes are bright, and I'm sure it's thanks to all the good vibes sent his way during surgery! Thank you again, everyone. You are a group of truly wonderful, kind, and giving people~

I personally feel blessed to have met you all, and I know that chelle, Graham, and especially wee little Clodhopper feel the same.

So one more time:

THANK YOU

:joy: I am SO relieved everything turned out okay! The little guy looks GREAT! You are all amazing people! :hugs:

pscychopomp said:
Maple said:
I wouldn't say all :wink: (horses come to mind)...I just wasn't sure how well a rat would get around, they walk a bit different than a dog.

:D
Can you imagine how fast he'll be going by this time next week! :shock: Something tells me he should have been named "Roadrunner" Beep Beep! :D

Back