CCH IN DESPERATE NEED OF DONATIONS - Goal Reached!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poor little guy. Are they going to remove the whole leg or just the foot?
I'll be thinking of you both tomorrow morning.

jorats said:
I'm wondering if perhaps the vet set that price because he's unsure of the exact procedure.
When my vet did an amputation she too had quoted a large number but in the end, it wasn't that much, she was surprised at how little time it took and how well it went. Hopefully it won't be so much once the surgery is done.

I really, really hope this is the case *fingers crossed* :hugs: for Chelle, Graham and Clod :heart:

jorats said:
I'm wondering if perhaps the vet set that price because he's unsure of the exact procedure.
When my vet did an amputation she too had quoted a large number but in the end, it wasn't that much, she was surprised at how little time it took and how well it went. Hopefully it won't be so much once the surgery is done.

I hope so, $800 is ridiculous, I mean it's a baby rat, how much anesthetic will it need really, and such a tiny limb shouldn't take all that long to remove...vets are all money hungry in my eyes, how many people avoid vets or opt for euthanasia instead of surgery because they can't afford it.

pscychopomp said:
jorats said:

I hope so, $800 is ridiculous, I mean it's a baby rat, how much anesthetic will it need really, and such a tiny limb shouldn't take all that long to remove...vets are all money hungry in my eyes, how many people avoid vets or opt for euthanasia instead of surgery because they can't afford it.

Actually this vet has gone out of his way to make everything as cheap for chelle as possible. I'm wondering if it's maybe like Jo said and he quoted a higher number because he wasn't sure of the length of the surgery... Because so far he's been the most reasonably priced vet I've ever heard of! Aheh.

pscychopomp said:
jorats said:

This vet is NOT money hungry at all. When I took in Tilly, he took 2 x-rays, charging me only $10 for them, and did not charge me an exam fee. I ended up having her PTS that day, and he didn't charge me for that either. All in all it was about an hour of his time, and he charged me $10. For a tumor removal on a female that I have here, he charged me $80, for the ENTIRE procedure, and the medication afterwards and taxes included. So, no, my vet is not money-hungry one bit.

It's got to be quite a long procedure, to cut through bone and tendon and muscle and vein, to make sure everything is severed at the right spot, making sure everything gets connected back together properly so he can still move the stub of a leg he'll have... And to top it all off it's basically at microscopic size!

I don't really know where people take there rats buts in this area treating rats isn't cheap by any means. I can tell you guys that this is certainly a discounted price. I have to keep at least $500 floating around in case one of my rats needs immediate surgery, and yes that's just for one of my four boys. My vet isn't expensive I don't feel and he's the only one in the area I trust with my babes...funnily enough a lot of vets in this area (yet even with the vet school right around the corner) don't know a thing about exotics, so when you find a good vet you stick to them like glue.

smilez_n_hugs said:
Currently Donations sit at $377.43, we are $422.57 away from our goal!

This is what made me cry when I got home tonight and checked my email. People are wonderful, amazing, kind... there really are no words strong enough to describe... you are all so generous. :hugs:

You guys are too much, everyone has been so supportive and helpful. More so than I ever would have imagined. Chelle and I took on being a rescue, well aware that there would be some very difficult times and decisions. Each and everyone of you has helped us along the journey in your own way, and we are both very very appreciative.

That being said, this show of support for Clodhopper really has gone above and beyond. Given that it is Christmas and all that encompasses, and you all have your own critters to take care of, I can't thank you enough. You literally brought Chelle to tears with your generosity and caring and you are all such wonderful people!

I really do thank you from the bottom of my heart!

FH (Graham)

I sneaked a pic of sweet little Clod in my lap yesterday. he's a brave sweet boy...

Clodhopperdec13.jpg

Much love to the little man this morning!! ALL of us will be waiting to hear how he is and how it went. :panic:

Chelle, you and Graham will not be the only ones breathing shallowly today. :cuddle:

Sneaky, Shelagh!!

He's in surgery right now. I'm updating this thread from my phone, while waiting at the vet's office. The vet actually told me not to drive because I was shaking so much. Gah!

Expect an update soon...

:joy: He made it through surgery with flying colors! Everything went TOTALLY smooth and he woke up fine from the anesthetic, which was both my vet and my biggest worry.

I'm going to pick him up later today, around 5:30, so I'll post pictures tonight.

Thank you EVERYONE for your thoughts, well wishes, prayers, and support. It clearly got through! :happydance:

Back