Cabotine - PT - She's gone

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK. So... Tonight, starting full dose of Pred again. I guess I would be able to get the Bromo by Wednesday or Thursday next week.

My concern - would the benefits of the Pred mask the effects of the Bromo, so one week would be too short a trial period? Plus - I was planning on going the Godmother way with Bromo, which means starting with a half dose and increasing, to avoid side effects?

Unepuce said:
OK. So... Tonight, starting full dose of Pred again. I guess I would be able to get the Bromo by Wednesday or Thursday next week.

My concern - would the benefits of the Pred mask the effects of the Bromo, so one week would be too short a trial period? Plus - I was planning on going the Godmother way with Bromo, which means starting with a half dose and increasing, to avoid side effects?

How is she on the pred? Totally normal? Or does she still seem not quite right?

lilspaz68 said:

She was doing so well on the Pred, that's why we decided to try and wean her off to see. And writing this, I am just realizing that she did go downhill a lot since we started the reduced dose :(

I got a call from the clinic. I have my Bromo prescription that I can go an pick up as soon as I want to. I have to get the Bromo from the pharmacy, but it's expected to cost $47 for 30 days. They also confirmed the price for the generic Cabergoline, which would be $163 for 30 days.

Should I start her on the Bromo along with the Pred or try the Pred only first to see if she gets as good as new like she did before? (I kind of expect the answer, but I'm still trying...)

Unepuce said:
lilspaz68 said:

She was doing so well on the Pred, that's why we decided to try and wean her off to see. And writing this, I am just realizing that she did go downhill a lot since we started the reduced dose :(

I got a call from the clinic. I have my Bromo prescription that I can go an pick up as soon as I want to. I have to get the Bromo from the pharmacy, but it's expected to cost $47 for 30 days. They also confirmed the price for the generic Cabergoline, which would be $163 for 30 days.

Should I start her on the Bromo along with the Pred or try the Pred only first to see if she gets as good as new like she did before? (I kind of expect the answer, but I'm still trying...)

both...then later on you can taper down the pred when the bromo is well established until you are at a nice low maintenance dose.

It's good to know that I could reduce Stella's Bromo. The Pred never helped much, but I was afraid to stop it. Stella has been doing very well, and I'd rather reduce the Pred and just stick with the Bromo.

Got the Bromo today. Cabotine had her first very low dose. I am doing things Godmother's way in order to get my girl's digestive system eased into the medicine before we hit full dose. I really hope it works... I now have 3 months worth of Bromo at home.

Will keep you guys posted

So... Cabotine was put back on full dose Pred on Friday evening, and started Bromo gradually on Saturday. She is slowly getting better again - ears up, more strength in her back legs, able to groom better, brighter eyes - probably due to the Pred kicking in again. During out time yesterday night, I even found her lying on a low shelf and then on a bunch of tubing she had to climb on to, and she looked pretty proud of herself! :heart: I gave her a peach puff last night to see if she was able to eat it - last attempt, we had to moist it so she would be able to - and she ate it almost like a pro. I am so relieved she responds so well to treatment, and so happy I threw my old PT mindset out the door and tried and treat her. She is a lovely, smart little (old) girl, and I will do all I can to make her good and happy as long as her condition permits.

Thank God for small (even temporary) victories!

You should see the bromo kick in soon or already. :) Had she lost any weight initially? If so she will gain it back.

And I too am very glad you tried to treat her... :thumbup:

She did lose weight prior to treatment - a good 140 g but don't worry, she still has more reserves than she needs! :giggle: She actually started losing weight in April, way before the PT hit her, probably due to a respiratory infection. My vet and I think the same way - she said she almost didn't want to treat the infection since it was getting her to shed off the fat - that thought actually had crossed my mind too, eventhough I would never (nor my vet!) leave an infection untreated! :lol:

She has already started gaining a bit back since she's on Pred (full and low dose). Sadly, that's one of the side effects and we know my big fat pancake does not need an increase in appetite...

Just a quick update on Cabotine.

The Bromo kicked in at the beginning of the week! :dance: Cabotine is now on full dose, and I am happy to report that thanks to Godmother's guidance, there was no GI issue whatsoever! She is doing great - I even caught her once or twice nibbling on a block! :thumbsup:

She walks around - almost zooms around, she always seems in a hurry! - her ears are up, her tail is straight, her eyes are much much brighter, although I believe they could be more relaxed... the only downside is that I believe she started HED, which is not a real surprise as she has now turned 27 months. And she did make it to that 2 year anniversary of living with us... sooooo happyyyyyy!!!!! Bromo was definitely worth trying!!!

Ohhh fantastic!!

If it works for that rat's particular PT (I usually find if dex makes a difference than the bromo will take it the rest of the way) its an amazing treatment!

Shade is still going nicely herself...I think her chest tumour is the thing that is going to affect her before her PT does...

If Cabotine keeps going the way she is, I too believe something else will get her. The Pred is not helping with her URI... she's starting to breath abdominally. So she keeps on a combo of Baytril and Doxy, and Pred and Bromo. So much fun!

So glad that she is doing OK. I have kept the full Bromo dose but it back Stella's Pred dose after she got an abscess. So far so good.

May Cabotine have some good quality time with you!

Cabotine passed away last night. :cry4:

I will write a memorial later... I am at work now, with no access to my pictures nor the heart to start writing about her life...

She was doing perfectly fine all evening, zooming across the office and resting in her favorite places. She was coming to me when called for scratches and cuddles, and ate like a little piggy - she had yogourt, mushed blocks with a bit of olive oil, and baby cereal mixed with Ensure. She even had a puff. When time came to take everyone home, I did my run of benebac, which she took eagerly. After a few more minutes of one on one cuddles, I put her back on the desk to try and get her to eat more mushed blocks while I was putting the benebac back into the fridge. That's when I heard BF panicked voice saying " Hey, what's wrong! Don't panic, don't panic!" I ran back into the office and he was holding her above the desk, she was quiet for a few seconds and then squirmed to escape. I asked him to put her back on the table and she started running in circles, but then stopped and positioned herself like she was going potty, so I relaxed a bit, and noticed her front right paw seemed very weak. Then she started running in circles again, so I grabbed her and secured her onto my chest... she calmed down right away and stayed in my arms 'til the end, while I was petting her and telling her she could go now, that I loved her and was happy I got to know her for 2 years, that she would go meet with her Maman, her adoption sister Lili, and her beloved Pollux. She twisted twice into my arms while I was talking to her to reassure her, and she passed. The whole thing lasted about 15 minutes. :sad3:

I held her into the cage for a few moments so that her friends could come and say goodbye. This is the very first time I introduce a passed rat to the remainder of the colony, and it was heartbreaking. They all came to her, smelled her, trying to figure out what was wrong, and then walked away with what looked like a heavy heart - I cried my eyes out.

I had another rat, Chipie, that passed overnight, and whose only warning was being very limp before bedtime - and I found her dead in the morning. She had foaming mixed with blood on her nose and mouth, I was told that she probably died of a very aggressive PT; in the end, Cabotine was the same - there was lots of foaming mixed with blood, that seemed to have come out of her nose and mouth... is this something common with PT or is it possible they choked to death? Those are the only two I lost to PT, and Chipie was not even officially diagnosed...

Blah... This brings me down to my goal of 4 rats. As expected, I don't feel like celebrating... I'd rather go home and go to bed, with all my remaining ratty friends... :(

Back