Cabotine - PT - She's gone

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unepuce

She has not been diagnosed just yet, my appointment happens to be tonight, but since last night, I have no more doubt. Just a little bit of hope that maybe it would turn out to be an inner ear infection, but given Cabotine is on abs since last Friday... I don't hold on to that hope very much.

I have been watching Cabotine for a few weeks now, as she turned 2 and started exhibiting new behaviors. I my heart I was dreading a PT, but besides being more active and cuddly and losing weight - which I could attribute to a light URI - I was trying not to be paranoid for once and just wait and see. Then last evening, she started walking in circles. And acting frantic, which is very unlike my bouddha girl. I had noticed the head butting, but couldn't tell it was involuntary until yesterday. Her front paws are weak. She loses her balance. She has problems eating. All classic symptoms. Not much hope for a different diagnosis.

I have always had mixed feelings about treating a rat with PT. The issue is fatal no matter what, so I kind of leaned towards not treating it and euthanize when symptoms were life threatning (unability to eat or drink, etc.) or there was obvious pain somehow. Now that I am facing it, I feel I need to try. Given my vet does go that route (I never had to ask before), I will ask for Pred etc. for a week and see if it helps. I'll give us until my next appointment next Thursday to decide whether it's worth pursuing treatment or not.

I just needed to come and share. Not many people at work I can talk about this to... and I am feeling pretty low, especially since I expect to announce later tonight that Tanner will go back to the operating table for repeat abcess. Blah. Can I go home and sleep now? :(

Try this my sweet...

get your vet to give her one injection of dexamethasone, take home the oral pred and start it the next day. The dexamethasone should improve things enough to be a bridge medication to the pred. And you will get your answer as to whether its PT or not.

After this IF she responds really well, maybe your lovey could be a guineapig for bromocriptine? it won't hurt, but it also may really help as some of us are finding. It has to be the right kind of PT for the bromocriptine but when you get it right, it truly can be amazing...ask Stella and Shade :wink2:

Thank you Shelagh. I am printing this and will make sure to mention to my vet. I honestly don't know what she does with PT, Victoria would know better than I do. Whatever is the best course of action for the coming week, I'll seize it. And you know how much I trust your judgement :hugs:

:hugs: Butterscotch responded really well to Pred and we had two more months together. It doesn't go that way with all of them but there is hope. (I've asked about Dex injections before and didn't get them, but Nancy seems to have a way of convincing her vet that I don't. They will do oral Pred plus antibiotics if they suspect neuro though.)

Thank you... she has been so healthy her whole life, despite being obese... it think I'm in shock that it all goes down the drain so fast...

victoria said:
I've asked about Dex injections before and didn't get them, but Nancy seems to have a way of convincing her vet that I don't.
It's a good thing I printed the thread before you posted! :giggle:
I'll sure ask, but if she refused for you, there's definitely no guaranty she'll accept for me.

Unepuce said:
It's a good thing I printed the thread before you posted! :giggle:
I'll sure ask, but if she refused for you, there's definitely no guaranty she'll accept for me.

LOL I think it was Dr. Brieger that said no actually, because it depresses the immune system even more and he wasn't convinced it would be that much more effective than Pred, so she may do it. It's not her usual treatment for PT though, she's treated my rats before and it's always been Pred plus an antibiotic, although sometimes I have had to ask for the latter.

lilspaz68 said:
Just explain you want the one injection so you can kickstart the oral prednisone before she fails too much.

OK... added the note!

Victoria - we'll see then. I hope she'll accept. Cabotine is not very young anymore and her time is already counted, so I won't feel too bad pushing a little harder if the weakening of the immune system is raised. Plus, she has been on abs for a week now, so has a few defenses on her side, and I have Booster at home if I need it, and she gets Missing Link every morning at breakfast - and Dr Beaulieu views Missing Link as a MIRACLE supplement as she has had her own experiences with it.

I should be up to the battle. Just will need to dare put on my boxing gloves if we come down to that :giggle:

victoria said:
Missing Link? I've never tried that, which formula is she taking?

Hum... not sure what you mean. I get a herbal powder in a prescription bottle... but don't know about any formula...

The website has three formulas - a cat, a dog, and a bird one. I'm going to guess bird, since they are also omnivores. Is it just a nutritional supplement or are you giving it for a specific issue?

Nutritional supplement, I give it now instead of Booster as they enjoy it more. I can ask her which formula it is tonight...

It's not a big deal, I was just curious. (There's also an equine formula on their site I forgot to mention but I'm sure it's not that they're giving to a rat.)

You'll never guess what happened - we didn't see the vet today. My usual 20-30 minute ride took today - close to 2 HOURS!!!!! :shock:

Of course, I get there, they are closed, but luckily, the receptionist saw me run to the door as she was closing the stores... dah.

Tanner and Cabotine are spending the night at the clinic (for free, thank you so much!!) and I was in luck for at least one thing - it's my vet's turn to work on Saturday this week. She will see them tomorrow and I will go talk to her at 2:40.

I have 3 rats tonight... it's almost scary. The DCN looks so empty...

victoria said:
Aww, that sucks! Was it the protests/Grand Prix that slowed you down?

I have no clue what was going on. The only thing the construction signs would say is that there was only one lane opened on the Mercier Bridge... but it was backed up all the way to Marcel Laurin (before you get to the highway). I tend to believe that it was the blinding thundershower we had downtown at 4:00 pm that started it. Add that to rush hour and construction, and bingo!

Ah well... frustration has calmed down after my exhaustion nap after supper. My weekend plans had to be completely rearranged... not a very good day today. Tomorrow is another day, and it better be good! :wink2:

Back