Bronny - hard lump on face :( Update wi' pics 03/05

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

Ahh darn, my lovely little rescue momma. The rat that comforts me.
I have found this before on I beleive Portia a long time ago, but wanted to know if others have seen this as well?

Bronwenfeb25.jpg

Bronwen2feb25.jpg

You can see the protruding cheek, well its actually very hard, almost like bone. There's no scab to indicate an abscess, so I am trying to prepare for the worst.

I put her on baytril, metacam, and am trying enalapril because of those very dark nailbeds.
She slept with me last night, she slept in that pile of holey old pillowcases for the most part but around 4 am came out and insisted on sleeping either tucked under my cheek/neck like she used to, or being held and cuddled.
She's 35 months old, and I know we don't have long together but I was hoping for something simpler than this. I told her she had to make 36 months for me, and I am hoping still. :heart:

Has anyone seen this before and what did you do? :sad-p:

You never seem to have a break do you :(
I hope the meds work, and that she will be ok, or atleast not in pain. Is there anyway you could ask your vet without having to pay for the consultation? via. email or something.

What would the dark nailbeds mean? I seriously need to save cash so i can buy that Rat health book you all talk about >< Then maybe i wouldnt ask so many stupid questions

ryelle said:
You never seem to have a break do you :(
I hope the meds work, and that she will be ok, or atleast not in pain. Is there anyway you could ask your vet without having to pay for the consultation? via. email or something.

What would the dark nailbeds mean? I seriously need to save cash so i can buy that Rat health book you all talk about >< Then maybe i wouldnt ask so many stupid questions

The dark nailbeds mean lack of oxygenated blood getting to the extremeties...it could be respiratory or it could mean heart issues.

None of these are stupid questions. A lot of answers are IN ratowners heads rather than in books or online sites. Its best to ask :thumbup:

Her incisors are nice and even, there's no smell, so I don't think its a tooth abscess.

I just made an appointment for her to be dropped off tomorrow for a looksee/possible FNA (fine needle aspiration). Precious will be her travelling companion, because Preshy is not frightened of anything, no signs of illness besides her PT, so I don't have to worry about her in the least.

As my UK friends say "I am gutted" over this one. :(

someone on another forum posted this

It's probably an impacted molar abcess. In some lines, older rats are actually fairly prone to them, in the back of the mouth. I've only seen three of them, but once you see them, they're pretty identifiable. Your vet may be able to drain it.

I keep emailing Dr. Munn with further instructions and pics for him :cheeky:

I find her face kinda looks like what Willow's did. We weren't sure what she had either becuase there was no scab or hole. But When we took her to Dr.Dunnett she took her out back to poke a needle in her cheek and lo and behold it was an abcess. We were able to get all the stuff out of the hole Dr.Dunnett had made. Cleared right up after that big ordeal.
I hope you find out what it is. :hugs:

Oh, no, not Bronny. :( That's just too much after all you've been through lately.

I hope hope hope that it is an impacted tooth. Kisses and banana mash to Bronny, hugs to you.

Back