Boys' RI-update 06/05

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good news about sweet Rosie! That girl has character! I'm glad to hear that Bribery & Stewart are doing well, and I do hope that Magic will be eating OK by this evening. Poor sweetie. He is such a dear boy; he will be awfully glad to be at home with his buddy.

rosie update-i'm afraid we're getting close now. rosie has stopped eating. she will not touch her ensure and the last couple days she refused taking anything from a water bottle. she ran out of her chocolate ensure the other day and won't eat strawberry, hazelnut or orange which are the other flavors i've had on hand. i was able to get her more chocolate today but she's not interested. all she wants is to be held and to sleep. with a full day of not being able to get anything into her she is still not dehydrated though. yet her swelling has also gone down since she stopped eating. i think she's using up the fluid retention she had going. she doesn't have breathing sounds hardly at all anymore but it is more of an effort to breathe. she was gaspy last night.

what kills me though, is that she is still bright eyed and recognizes me and is eager to be with me. she still grooms herself and me, especially after i have handled the fosters. i'm not allowed to smell like them i guess :roll: :giggle: her spirit still wants to be here it seems but her body is getting worse and worse. i don't want to take her in when she's not ready but i don't want her to starve herself to death either. she's trapped in her body and her body is failing her... her spirit is so bright and strong and her body is so frail. i'd like to think that her not eating is a sign that she is ready for me to help her let go but in everything else that is rosie she shows that she doesn't want to let go yet. her eyes are still so bright...

Ooh, what a dear. It's awful that her body isn't able to keep up with her beautiful spirit. She still seems to enjoy what amount of life she's able to experience though, I've saw that both times I've been over. Whatever happens I hope it's gentle for her, and you, Raven.

i took rosie in. her body was just too frail and even if she wanted to i couldn't let her torture herself in it anymore. she was going to starve herself or dehydrate herself to death. but that special light was there all the way to the end. it didn't leave until she did the sweet girl. i held her the entire time. its all she wanted anymore was to be held and i couldn't let her go. it was the least i was able to do for her.

on the drive there a song played on the radio called "everyday miracle" by some lady singer. lets just say its a good thing that i have the level of control on my emotions as i do. it fit rosie so well. she lived one day at a time and saw joy and wonder in even the simplist breeze on a warm sunny day.

you weren't with us for long and you sick for most of it, but rosie, you were one special girl and you will be missed. you are back with all your special black berk friends that went before you to get things ready just for you. they knew how special you were too.

Awww hun, I am soo sorry to hear about your frail but brave little fighter. :(

She's healthy and happy again, and you gave her the love she was desperate to have. You gave her closure on her life.

Take care of yourself. (((hugs)))

magic is home!!!

and what a BIG boy! he's on par with notorious for size, though still smaller. his poor incision looks painful! he's still swollen up, even more then chop suey who was just done on friday. the incision runs width-wise and so is larger then the two tiny ones on chop suey. there also appears to be stitches still in. they look dark purple in color, does anyone know if those are the kind that dissolve?

his breathing seems pretty good. he doesn't seem to be breathing fast or making noises but there is a small crackle that i could hear when i put him against my ear. his baytril came with him but no instructions on how much to give. i'm going to pm theratlady to ask for how much he needs.

we got pictures of him meeting the other boys. i was relying on clark to send the foster cages today and was going to put chop suey and magic in one while they heal and i find foster homes. however clark i guess forgot completely and was not home to give my uncle the cages. when my uncle called he said that it seemed that clark didn't even know what he was talking about. i guess it was a busy day. in anycase, because i was expecting those cages i didn't go up to my parents to get out my spares. so for the time being they are all in together in the martins. its one rat over compacity but there are lots of hammocks and hidys for everyone. there's been no fighting and everyone is getting along great. that's one thing i must say for clark's rats, they intergrate easily!

and did i mention that i LOVE my uncle!!! :happydance: he paid for the difference on the bill. he refused to let me pay him back. he said to consider it his contribution to the rescue effort! :mrgreen: so LOVE MY UNCLE!!! :bow: :joy: :bunnydance:

once i have teh pictures loaded (my comp is VERY slow) i'll post some of them here. you can expect them sometime tomorrow probably.

bribery and stewart update: they have NO breathing sounds now. they both seem back to normal activity levels for each of them but their breathing does still seem a bit on the fast side, bribery more so then stewart. they still have another 2 days of double doses and then another 14 of single doses though so i am very pleased with the progress. i have it down to a science in giving these boys their meds now. if they are in the cage its a breeze! the tricky part is keeping the other rats from stealing it! :lol2:

Godmother said:
Sweet Magic--- I'm glad he's home, hoping he's soon going to feel better. I hate to think of him still swollen after almost a week.
that concerns me to. really he should not be so swollen. chop suey was done just friday, two days after magic and isn't nearly as swollen as magic is. in fact chop suey is barely swollen at all now. could this be a sign of impeding abcess? it doesn't seem to bother him, he moves fine and doesn't seem lethargic at all as if he was in pain.

i'm not sure. but i was able to get pictures this morning. what do you think?

100_0841.jpg

100_0842.jpg

the swelling is due to the bleeding that happended after surgery. they had to put him under anesthetic second time. he had a hematmoa there and that will take time to go down. essentially its like a large bruise now.
as a whole im less then impressed with this vets work!!

well that makes sense. how long should i expect it to take? i'm not greatly impressed with this vet either and want to keep on the ball incase there is any complications later on.

Back