Boys' RI-update 06/05

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am sorry to hear about sweet Rosie moving more into the twilight. She may surprise you and stabilize where she is and just keep going, happy, old, frail but still your beloved girl. :heart:

How's the swelling? I wonder if its circulatory rather than injury?

she very well might do just that actually. she is still with us today. no worse off then yesterday but no better either breathing wise. her poor foot is swelled up even more but i just can't find where she could have gotten hurt. so maybe it is circulatory. my grandmother's feet used to swell every so often because of her poor circulation. i think she just suffered through it though... at least i can't remember if she did anything to make the swelling go down. rosie doesn't seem upset about it though at least. she's not really putting any weight on it but she's not licking at it or pain bruxxing or doing any pain stretches at least.

that would make sense. she's been sleeping even more today. still happy and attentive when awake but those times awake come less and less and stay a shorter time. :(

update on rosie: mixed news tonght. she is feeling up to helping me type this and to climbing up the outside of her cage to watch me give meds to the boys and her breathing doesn't sound as bad as it did the other day. however the swelling in the back left aw is worse again and her left front is swollen now too. she has again been sleeping even more and is tiring easily, she also feels cool to the touch. i will be adding more blankets for her to cuddle with when she goes back to the cage but righ now she's napping on the laptop as i finish writting this. i can not use the number buttons now. she is no longer interested in her noodles but will work away at thinly made ensure and baby cereal. the rat that wouldn't eat unless she can chew it has decided that drinking her food is preferable now.

so there some good news tonight and some bad. her spirits are still high but it seems her body is continuing to fail on her. 414350olk;dfaf <--she says hello, she's napping again now

she is not on any medication. they never had any affect on her and she struggled so hard that it really wasn't worth it when they weren't having an effect anyway. her panting after trying the meds was terrible. we went through the dosages to make sure but there was never any effect other then stressing poor rosie out.

it was warm and sunny out this afternoon so i took rosie outside to experience the world a little bit today. she LOVED IT! the energy level, the light in her eyes as she sniffed and explored! it was wonderful! she was BOUNCING again. she tired out pretty fast and had a nap with me holding her under my neck. after her nap she wanted to explore again. it was a nice afternoon.

pictures! :joy:

rosie did not like us disturbing her nesting....
IMG_2409.jpg

her poor swollen paw...
IMG_2415.jpg

her scuffiness contemplating giving mommy a heart attack by jumping to the table...
IMG_2414.jpg

"aren't a doll...? :wink2: "
IMG_2426.jpg

"innocent! ..."
IMG_2424.jpg

"... i swear!"
IMG_2425.jpg

"is she looking? good! ..."
IMG_2427.jpg

"... now to dive off the couch to hear mom scream! :devil: "
IMG_2428.jpg

rosie update: i was gone most of the day yesterday getting the fosters and though she got to hang out with daddy she was VERY upset with me. she had never really bugged the set up in her cage before. left the towel flooring mainly alone and her cushion and hut were never moved. i get back and she has her food spilled, her towel bunched in one corner, her cushion hiding the empty dish and her hut overturned. she was sitting by the door looking rather ticked off. i opened the door and she DIVES out and climbs up on me; up to the shoulder where she starts nibbling my ear. not enough to make it bleed but enough to send the message across that i'm a "very bad mommy." :lol:

today i seem to have been forgiven. we had a nap and she had me pinned down by my neck as my newest ratty necklace. i don't know what it is about sick rats and my neck but that is where they like to sleep.... :roll: :lol:

stewart and bribery update: they seem to be breathing even easier again. this medicine really does seem to be working well for them. they are still not perfect breathers yet but they will be fine.

magic update: his surgery was done yesterday. i had a call from theratlady telling me about it. i was told that he had to be put under twice. once for the surgery and once for bleeding. he had no appetite and looked miserable. there was also spotting. the incision was closed with glue but looks fine. i have not gotten an update yet today but am hoping he's doing better. and the cheap neuter that was going to be $46 after taxes turned out to be $85 after antibiotics and pain meds... :doh: for $10 more i could have had him done at home including the pain meds and antibiotics.... :wallbang: so much for cheap... :roll:

i will make a new post for the fosters and our newest babe Chop-Suey (formerly known as Napoleon)

That Rosie is quite the little diva, but so wonderful that she can still show you when she's upset and then forgive you. She's still got some life in her!!

I can't wait to see pics of Magic at home and the Chop Suey, love that name!

What a sweet little character Rosie is. I love rats with an attitude! lol

Nice to hear Stewart and Bribery are doing a bit better.

Hope Magic starts to eat soon. :tumkiss:

Back