Betcha Didn't Know...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lilratsy43 said:
Betcha didn't know (ok maybe you did, but I wanted to post it anyways :giggle: ): You can't sneeze with your eyes open!

this doesnt really have to do with anything but my boyfriend punches the air (and sometimes kicks) when he sneezes! haha sorry i just think its funny and wanted to share.

Betcha didn't know: That many organisms including mammals, birds, reptiles, marsupials and many others share very common skeletal structures. This is strong evidence that indicates that all life shares a common ancestor (evolution), it can also be used to say that intelligent design is what determined this similarity (creationism).

I am of the Darwinist persuasion lol.

Julien said:
Betcha didn't know: That many organisms including mammals, birds, reptiles, marsupials and many others share very common skeletal structures. This is strong evidence that indicates that all life shares a common ancestor (evolution), it can also be used to say that intelligent design is what determined this similarity (creationism).

:D Even Giraffes have the same number of cervical (neck) vertebrae as other mammals - 7 - they're just a heck of alot bigger!

So cool :)

(and yet horses have 18 ribs when so many other species have 13....but horses are SO strange in so many (ANATOMICAL!!! :giggle:) ways....lol it could be an entirely different thread!)

Cityratt said:
[

(and yet horses have 18 ribs when so many other species have 13....but horses are SO strange in so many (ANATOMICAL!!! :giggle:) ways....lol it could be an entirely different thread!)

I personally think horses are just plain strange, LOL

Julien said:

I highly recommend the book Your Inner Fish, it explores these similarities in a very easy-to-read for not-very-sciencey-people. It even talks about the imminent doom of oysters and the peril of the common banana.

I highly recommend the book Your Inner Fish, it explores these similarities in a very easy-to-read for not-very-sciencey-people. It even talks about the imminent doom of oysters and the peril of the common banana.

I am currently reading The Selfish Gene, Why Evolution is True, and The Origin of Species... The Selfish Gene and Why Evolution is True are relatively easy reads, but I can barely read the Origin of Species lol... I will definitely check out Your Inner Fish. Another book that I would recommend is The Panda's Thumb. But these books are all about evolution, so if that is not your cup of tea then you can ignore my post.

Betcha didn't know: That the majority of the Universe's mass is uncounted for, therefore we must be missing some kind of matter that we are unaware of, this has been hypothesized as being dark matter. It has been theorized that only about 4-5% of the universes mass is "regular matter."

Oh and as an interesting side note: Mass and matter are not the same thing, Mass is actually a property of matter, not a synonym.

actually i did know that but you forgot amalyse is also found in saliva that starts starch digestion in the mouth

Julien said:
I am aware NOW!!!

Hahahaha!

Betcha didn't know: That Lysozyme is an enzyme found in your saliva that initiates the digestion process as soon as you put food in your mouth, it is also used in protein purification to destroy unwanted cell walls of bacterial cultures, allowing us to get at the juicy insides.

just walking shouldnt cause bloat, thats why diet is important. the dry food should not swell up much when put in water.

lindsayfawn said:
Betcha didn't know that you can't walk a Greyhound an hr before or 3hrs after they eat as they can get Bloat and die!

theratlady said:
just walking shouldnt cause bloat, thats why diet is important. the dry food should not swell up much when put in water.

lindsayfawn said:
Betcha didn't know that you can't walk a Greyhound an hr before or 3hrs after they eat as they can get Bloat and die!

I guess I should have said more vigorous exercising before an hr to eating and 3hrs after eating. Makes it kinda scary when you think about it. I guess the rescue had one Grey die of this just the other day. So sad.

I betcha didn't know that these Grey's that are rescued off the track are only fed veggies, cooked rice and the best quality cooked fish so for the first week you have them they are only allowed to eat cooked rish and hamburger then you gradually add a few kibble pieces to their diet.

Moon said:
Greyhounds do phenomenally well on raw diets. You should look into it.

As a foster we have to do what they say though lol but if we adopt maybe down the road I might look into it. Would it be more expensive for a raw diet then kibble?

Betcha didn't know that I'm REALLY excited for tomorrow's info session!

Betcha didn't know that there are such a thing as clinal species. These are populations of a species of animals that can interbreed along a gradual distance, while the populations at further ends cannot!

To better illustrate:

A - B - C - D - E

These represent populations along a large distance. A is at the furthest north, and E is the furthest south. A and B can interbreed, B,C, and D can interbreed and D and E can interbreed. However populations A and E cannot, even though they are the same species!!!!

This can be taken as a mechanism of evolution, where the two polar species have accumulated enough genetic differences that they cannot interbreed. This could be an image in evolutionary divergence!

One last note, A and E might be able to breed, but the offspring would not be viable (i.e. Sterile and/or die quickly).

Betcha didn't know it can also be taken as change within a "kind" caused by a loss of genetic information usually through breeding .... thus creating A and E. (Intelligent Design theory)

Edit: by loss of genetic info., I mean less genetic diversity in the offspring.
For example: if parents are Hh x Hh then mathmatically, 25% of offspring will be HH and 25% will be hh, having less genetic diversity then their parents.
Combine this with other factors such as natural selection and you can get changes such as you described.

SQ said:
Betcha didn't know it can also be taken as change within a "kind" caused by a loss of genetic information usually through breeding .... thus creating A and E. (Intelligent Design theory)

Um I'm not sure what you mean by "loss of genetic information" through breeding.... nor do I understand how that is intelligent design theory.... When you mention genetics all I can visualize is Evolution... since that is what I study...

Just for future reference, I do not want any of my posts to offend people who may not share my belief in the radiation of species through natural selection and evolution... I am just putting things here as interesting facts...

But if someone would like to debate me sometime (i.e. Friendly debate)... that would be cool, I find both sides of the argument enjoyable (though I only debate "for" evolution lol).

Back