Betcha Didn't Know...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Betcha didn't know: That all polar bears are left handed! Like me ;)

Also
Another betcha didn't know:
A statue in a park with a soldier on a horse with it’s 2 feet in the air means
the soldier died in combat.If the horse has only 1 foot in the air,the soldier died of injuries from combat.
If the horse has all 4 feet on the ground,the soldier died of natural causes.

Betcha didn't know: that it's pretty much pointless to avoid glucose/fructose is favor of real sugar (sucrose) because glucose/fructose is just what sucrose breaks down to when dissolved in an acidic liquid, so when you eat regular sugar, it will just be broken down into glucose/fructose in your stomach acid anyway.

And: one of the most common acidic liquids used to break down sucrose for commercial food products is sodium benzoate...check just about any pop can

lilangel said:
Betcha didn't know: That all polar bears are left handed! Like me ;)

Actually, polar bears don't have a paw-preference. The notion that polar bears are "left-handed" is an Internet meme (an idea, often a rumour or hoax, that spreads quickly on the Internet). :D

From the website, Polar Bears International:

"Great white bears are not left-pawed. Scientists observing the animals haven't noticed a preference. In fact, polar bears seem to use their right and left paws equally."

Betcha didn't know: That the Rex rats have a condition known scientifically as "defective planar cell polarity." This means that the hair cells on the rats are not in "sync" with the whole body, for that reason the hair seems to grow in multiple directions (the curly tufts). A "normal" rat has their hair growing from nose to tail, and therefore do not have the condition. This is a non-fatal condition when dealing with epithelial cells (skin cells) but the condition can become much more damaging if found in other parts of the body. One such example is poly-cystic kidney disease. Since the cells in the kidneys do not properly arrange themselves, the kidney becomes inflamed and filled with liquid due to all of the cysts that form.

P.S. - you can Google this, but if you have a weak stomach you might not want to see what poly-cystic kidney disease looks like, I regretted it.

Betcha Didn't know: The chances of a male Tortoiseshell cat are 1 in 3,000. :) When a male Tortoiseshell is born, they typically have an extra X chromosome, a condition known in humans as Klinefelter syndrome.

Scythe said:
Betcha Didn't know: The chances of a male Tortoiseshell cat are 1 in 3,000. :) When a male Tortoiseshell is born, they typically have an extra X chromosome, a condition known in humans as Klinefelter syndrome.
Oh!! I actually did know that...I used to annoy my family when I was a kid, because An American Tail was(is lol) one of my favorite movies and in the song "There are no cats in America" the irish mouse refers to the calico that ate his girlfriend as "he" I always used to say "I found a mistake!! It's impossible for calico cats to be male!" (But, like you said, it's not impossible...just extremely unlikely)

Looking back, that must have been really annoying lol, especially considering I watched that movie all the time. So now my poor mother probably has it beaten into her head lol

Betcha didn't know: I've been a geek all my life :wink:

Betcha didn't know that The Greyhound is "one" of the first canine breeds from which virtually all-domestic dogs descended from and they can be traced back over 8000+ years!

lol this made me laugh

Betcha didn't know that Greyhounds were pack rats! Some greyhounds like to collect your items and take them outside or put them in their beds. They seldom damage the items, they just collect them. So if you're missing something, check with your greyhound!

Julien said:
Betcha didn't know: That the Rex rats have a condition known scientifically as "defective planar cell polarity." This means that the hair cells on the rats are not in "sync" with the whole body, for that reason the hair seems to grow in multiple directions (the curly tufts). A "normal" rat has their hair growing from nose to tail, and therefore do not have the condition. This is a non-fatal condition when dealing with epithelial cells (skin cells) but the condition can become much more damaging if found in other parts of the body. One such example is poly-cystic kidney disease. Since the cells in the kidneys do not properly arrange themselves, the kidney becomes inflamed and filled with liquid due to all of the cysts that form.

P.S. - you can Google this, but if you have a weak stomach you might not want to see what poly-cystic kidney disease looks like, I regretted it.

Betcha didnt know that PKD is also seen as an autosomal dominant disorder in cats - predominantly in persian breeds, 80% of these cases can be isolated to PKD1 gene mutations and a genetic test is now available!
It is a late onset disease thus until this point was very difficult to eliminate from breeding colonies as it usually would show up AFTER a cat has been used in the breeding program. It affects up to 6% of the total feline population is the most common inherited disorder in cats.

Also...betcha didnt know that I have a 70% final tomorrow...and an overwhelming sense of impending doom :coffee:

Back