Bagel - Not Well at All :( 05/08

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kristy,

How does it work? My vet writes a script and...? I don't have a nebulizer right now. Should I got get one? Or can I make up an oxygen tank like people make up nebulizer containers?

Help? I'll get the O2 if you can help me figure out what to do?

My vet once asked if we wanted the O[sub:1aol0aiy]2[/sub:1aol0aiy] at home. They were going to send us home with a small tank and such.

You don't need a nebulizer for the O2, but if you can get one to give him albuterol and/or atrovent neb treatments, that will help open up his airways. For the O2, I'd use a simple mask and just hold it up to his face. He won't have to work so hard to breathe, and it will oxygenate his blood. Start slow on the O2 and watch his breathing, because if it is COPD and not CHF, too much oxygen will knock out his respiratory drive because his body is used to having more CO2 than O2. If his breathing rate slows down too far, turn down the O2.

Doesn't sound like he will need the O2 constantly, just when he's having trouble breathing.

I'm just going from what I know of human medicine here - I've been a cardiac nurse for 6 years, but I don't know for sure just how much translates to rats, but from what I've read, the treatment is basically the same. But I'm glad to help any way I can.

Bagel seemed much happier last night, and amazes me at how active and exploring he is. He could be absolutely anywhere...climbing up to the top of the Pen, climbing up onto the kitchen chairs, etc...he's having a ball!

This morning at about 5:00 am I could hear him chewing...it was keeping me awake and I checked to see what he was doing...chewing the bars..."Out, out, out!"

I took him and put him on the bed with me, and he continued exploring quietly...mostly letting me sleep. :roll:

Right now he's had his lasix and enalapril and is on the livingroom floor yet again. :thumbup:

He seems less distressed, I will call Dr Munn and ask her about the eventuality of oxygen treatments but at this point he's doing well. Did I mention he's eating and drinking too?!! :bliss:

Arlene has assured me he is extra special (like I needed to be told *pfft* :wink2:)

He actually helps Adia. Literally. She often falls onto her side and flails her feet to get up. He goes behind her and uses his head then his body to lever her up. :shock: Its very deliberate and not always totally gentle, he has even used his paws to pull at her head and body. Its like he is a Health Care Worker...and she is his job. LOL

She smiles as she sleeps in her hammock. I know her time is almost at an end but I am very pleased its ending up surrounded by a new friend :heart:

I'd love to see pics or video of that if possible! It sounds absolutely precious ^_^ Looks like he was sent to you to help out your lovely oldie as well as get better in your care :happydance:

My vet was talking to my mom about heart disease in rats and she said that you can really hear it through the stethoscope if the heart is having problems. Was Dr. Munn able to hear anything? mamarat has brought Jedy in because he's not responding to meds so now they are trying doxy and baytril, in four days if no improvements, he goes back to the vet. She said his heart sounds really good and strong so it can't be that.

She didn't even listen, she just checked over his blue bits...He was this blue his skin, everything...but because he responded to the lasix/fortekor it pretty well clinched it for her.

Awww poor Jedy :(

Woohoo!!! :happydance: Great update!

Feetie pics from today!

Bottom
bagelfootbottommay6.jpg

bagelfootmay6.jpg

Look at that beautiful (and slightly out of focus) front foot...very little residual cyanosis there!!!
bagelfrontfootmay6.jpg

I am soooo happy!!! :laugh3:

Back