Babies and updates

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sorry you have had a trial by fire in the rattie business. I think one of your top priorities after things settle down is to find a reliable vet that is sympathetic to rescue and has knowledge about rats or is open to learning. You need this resource if you are to go forward with rats.
I'm sad that you had to take five babies to the reptile guy, but I do agree it is more humane to put them out of their misery quickly rather than having them suffer for days and days before dying.
I'm sorry Mattiee died. I was hoping she would bounce back and be able to enjoy her new home for a while.
Are there more babies you are suspicious of having MC besides one of the minis?

So far all the babies seem fine except the one mini who's a bit constipated sometimes, but Mae's babies only just started eating solids, I won't know anything for sure for awhile.
I do have a vet for my rats, and she's not exactly sympathetic to rescues because she's trying to keep her business alive, but she's the only person around who can do anything for rats besides put them down. I called 12 or 13 places in total and they either told me to go to her or offered to put Mattiee down (when she was in labour and I was looking for help)

Then I would second guess a rescue until you can find a vet and more funds to help them with. A rescue cannot be successful without a good vet by their side. I am stunned that Mattie passed. She probably shouldn't have died. If you take in rats you have to have money for espays... tumor removals, sicknesses and much more. Did the vet even look at her when she was sick? Did they even try to save her? zithro is safe for nursing moms i am pretty sure and there are numerous other things that can be treated while being a momma.

You're right, I should have left her with the guy breeding her for food and feeding her cat chow. Spending a crazy amount to get her in a huge cage where she can be comfortable and well fed and cared for isn't enough

There is more than well cared and feeding. Vets are needed. When you take in a rescue that is sick, that make you responsible to take them to the vet and get proper care that is what you do when you rescue.

I agree with Hopefloats, you meant well and did well except that all sick rats need to see a vet and get the proper meds. You also need a vet who do a humane euthanasia.
I think at this point, if you are still interested in rescuing, you should wait and save up some money first and perhaps get yourself set up, maybe do a bit more research and when you are better prepared you could start again.
This was a harsh ordeal for you. You were thrown right into the thick of it, our rescues here deal with that on a regular basis so they are more experienced and seasoned, I would take their advice, they've been there and done that many times before.
I'm so sorry for your losses.

I know I need a proper vet, I want a proper vet, but I've already been eating ramen noodles for the past month so I can pay for their food and housing and food for my other critters. This is way more than I can handle, but I'm not the kind to give up on something because it's not easy. And as an admin on a forum with a lot of kids, trying is better than sitting back and doing nothing, like most people do. Most of the babies are healthy, I have some nice homes lined up for them, Mattiee was in a nice home with good food and a lot of love and I'm grateful for that much.
Next week a retired lady who wants to get back into rats is coming over to pick up Mattiee's remaining girls, my little cousins rats passed away in the past year so my uncle is getting him set up to take in three boys for his birthday, and I have another possible adopter coming to look at them this weekend hopefully
Mini baby has diarrea, I've been giving him warm baths and massages it helps, but I don't think it looks good. I'll be separating Mae's babies next week sometime. The rest of Mattiee's babies seem completely fine and they're almost at 8 weeks, so I think they're going to make it
Also everyone got new liners in the critter nation today

Please let adopters know that they may develop late onset mega colon, symptoms and what to do about it.

I am sorry Mattie died ... it is doubtful she would have died if she had received the care she needed.
Glad that she had love and care with you.
And I am glad the babies didn't suffer too long but it is horrible that they didn't have a humane death.
I understand you did the best you could but it doesn't change the suffering :sad3:

As others said, rescues have a responsibility to be able to provide a min. of decent care to the rats they rescue.
Animal rescuers are responsible to care for animals they rescue for their entire lives if unable to find good responsible adoptive homes. You have posted that you are not able or willing to do this.
Responsibility for decent care includes basic medical care and humane death with a good vet.
You are unable to provide that.

I hope you continue to help animals but you are a very long way from being in a position to be an ethical or responsible rescue.
I am very sorry for what has happened and your loss.
I hope the remaining rats continue to do well.

You have to access to a good vet. There is no way around it. I have had so many come in with tumors and some pregnant. I have a "emergency" for those just in case. The "electives" I work on slowly with donations or anything else I can pull together. I use my adoption fees for my rescues that will end up coming in and for a dent in the food cost. I spent a ton on food alone. I just put in a 200.00 order for them and a few weeks back i did a 150.00 order. I save money up for electives and in will come a girl with a huge tumor that has to be removed so i had to split it up and make sure I had something set up for thos emergencies so I can put the electives that I scrounge for aside and it wont be touched. I took donations and a christmas gift card to save up for a 3 male neuters that they must have done in order to be happy. I have pretty cheaps spays and neuters but it can add up fast.

Meds are another thing taking in rats runs you at risk for getting viruses which will need meds fast the virus we got hit with come me over 100.00 in meds alone and that was just them giving me what I needed and not a office visit for them. when I open my door to animals I have to make sure that I can feed them, give them a surgery when possible and medicate them. It isnt easy. I set 10% of my paycheck a week aside for them alone but one food order will wipe that out in a minute.

It is great to rescue but it is only a rescue when their fate is changed. If you take them in with the mood well they died but had food, their fate was not changed only the place they died was. It is sad to see it and this is the 2nd momma this month and now another one that was bred on purpose has surfaced. i can give a 100 faces of why not to bred and I can give a 100 bills of why you have to have a vet if you are going to take in a pregnant momma. Rats shouldnt be pregnant to begin with but they are constantly.

That's a bit much to expect from a 17 year old, I'm not some official fancy rescue, I'm just trying to do what I can to help. So I'd appreciate it if people would lay off and realize that I'm doing everything I can, I'm not making excuses, I just don't have any money right now. I do not. I don't have a job anymore and I've sold my beater car, I came here looking for advice and people to relate to, not a constant reminder of what an awful person I am. I bit off more than I can chew with this and I'm aware of that and I'm trying to deal with it instead of giving up on them and selling them as snake food or something, which from what I can tell locally, most people do. Berating me isn't helping.
Honestly the only reason I've been coming back to update is because people have asked how the babies are doing, because logging in here is becoming depressing. I tried to just ignore it and not respond but I wonder how many new owners lie to you guys to avoid feeling attacked. I see it on the HCA :/ Just a thought.

RockyGurly said:
That's a bit much to expect from a 17 year old, I'm not some official fancy rescue, I'm just trying to do what I can to help. So I'd appreciate it if people would lay off and realize that I'm doing everything I can, I'm not making excuses, I just don't have any money right now. I do not. I don't have a job anymore and I've sold my beater car, I came here looking for advice and people to relate to, not a constant reminder of what an awful person I am. I bit off more than I can chew with this and I'm aware of that and I'm trying to deal with it instead of giving up on them and selling them as snake food or something, which from what I can tell locally, most people do. Berating me isn't helping.
Honestly the only reason I've been coming back to update is because people have asked how the babies are doing, because logging in here is becoming depressing. I tried to just ignore it and not respond but I wonder how many new owners lie to you guys to avoid feeling attacked. I see it on the HCA :/ Just a thought.

I don't think anyone wants to attack you, I think they are mostly responding to this statement you made earlier:

[quote2="RockyGurly":2dlkt75d]This has all been really awful, but I guess it's what I'm in for if I'm getting into the rescue business. I just wish I could of done better with these babies, but believe me when I say I wasn't prepared for this[/quote2:2dlkt75d]

by reminding you that you *want* to be better prepared, and you *want* things to turn out better if this is what you're planning to do in the future.
I think they're just passing on helpful information and the hard stuff you really need to think about if you want to get into the heart breaking & very expensive work of rescue.

We know your heart was in the right place - you certainly didn't intend on having two pregnant ratties, and then to have sick babies on top of things really topped the cake. It was and is a lot of work, and you ARE making a difference in the ratties' lives.
Petunia said:
I think they're just passing on helpful information and the hard stuff you really need to think about if you want to get into the heart breaking & very expensive work of rescue.
Having your heart in the right place, and wanting to help, doesn't necessarily mean you are ABLE to help. Everyone here loves rats, and wants nothing but the best for them. You are obviously an intelligent person, and people are trying to let you know what they have learned from their own personal experiences. You love rats with your heart, but you need to use your head when you take on rescue work, and the number one thing is, it is expensive! I work full time, and I have spent literally thousands of dollars on rats. And I'm not what I would call a rescue. If you talked to someone like Hopefloats or Lilspaz68, I would bet they have spent over $10,000 on rats.
So I guess I would encourage you to absolutely help out with rescuing, but don't put yourself in the position of having to be financially responsible for the rescues, until you are employed and have enough money to do it. There are ways to help, like fostering, that still let you participate, but not have to shoulder the burden of paying for vet care.
Anyway, off my soap box now! Good luck, and I hope you hang around here...

Yes, I do want to rescue, someday. Next year I want to go for a two year vet tech program and I'd like to go on with that. So I tend to gravitate towards the critters who I think need help (and it bit me in the butt)

Back