Babies and updates

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright, I'll bring them all in :( They're already unhappy when I touch their bellies, and seeing how fast the other baby got to where he is now... Still waiting on a call, she said she'd do it, but only when she's not busy. It is a clinic, it's just a really small one. We have a ton of small ones here.
I do think she knows what to do, but even if it's not completely perfect it's better than this. The big baby is making noises now, I put Old Man with him for some comfort :( (old man is my huge old male, he's very gentle and sweet with the babies, he mainly likes to groom them)

Speaking of Old Man, he's having the time of his life in the critter nation. When I first put him in with the babies, I thought he was going to attack one, but he just held him down and groomed him (he has this thing about grooming, he did it to the other older boy too) he loves to sit in a pile with all the babies getting his fur cleaned. Mattiee is acting better too, but it's probably partly because she only has 4 babies with her now (there are six girls, but the MC babies are separated right now in a 20 long)
The babies are going nuts, I was a bit worried about the height of their hammocks and climbing toys, but seeing as they climb upside down on the bars without the help of the toys.. they're doing great though, lots of room to excercise and run around on the bars and on their big wheel. They love all the fabric toys they have now, especially the fleecy tunnels I made

MC babies would likely do better in with a loving adult who will comfort them ... like their mama ....

Hope you get a call soon, if not you should call the vet to let her know how badly the babies are doing/suffering.
Hope you ask questions .... for reassurance that it is being done right
.... and also because the vet may not be completely sure about how to do it but sounds willing to do it humanely.

:hugs: to you and the poor little ones

I'm so sorry you are going through this, but I am glad you are bringing in all the babies because there may be some that are not really bad yet, but will be in a few days. It's so much better to let them go than to let them suffer. I'm glad you seem to have found a vet that will euthanize them for you. If she is going to charge you a fee, then let us know the vet's information so we can cover the cost for you. We just really want the babies not to suffer. Hugs to you :hugs:

She emailed me, she changed her mind! Gah :/ More calls tomorrow, more emails, peeps haven't gotten back to me yet so I'm calling back. It has to be soon
The biggest baby hasn't really moved all day, she's just sitting there with her eyes half closed :/ I feel so bad for her. I had her out today and she just hung out on my lap, I tried rubbing her belly but it didn't seem to help, it made her fall asleep though.
My room is a bit crowded with all these rat set ups, the critter nation is huge, but then there's Mae's nursery tank, the two MC baby cages, and I had to separate my other older male tonight, he was attacking the babies! I mean, he just would not stop, I had to tear him off, and I was so scared the baby was hurt. He seems ok, a bit shaken up, he went to go cuddle with old man, who they basically treat like a big lumpy blanket. I tried re-introducing him tonight and he just went beserk, I guess he hit puberty. I hate to leave him alone in there, but Old Man's never been this happy and animated, he seriously adores these babies. I walked in today and had a moment of panic where I thought they had escaped, but I found him and all the babies in a pile under their blanket in the corner. Mattiee seems better too, although she's still thin and she spends a lot of time resting, at least she's cozy. The girls still keep her clean, which is nice since she won't let me touch her with a tushie wipe. It's definitely an improvement since she was getting so filthy before the babies started cleaning her
Another baby has a hard belly today :( It's small, but it's like they swallowed a rock. I tried belly rubs but he wouldn't hold still
I did get an email from someone who's interested in taking a couple babies next month, we're trying to arrange a visit. It's too early to know which ones will be ok and which ones won't be, but the best way to seal the deal is to cover her in fluffy babies, so that was a nice thing that happened today
Thanks for the virtual hugs, I'll send them along to the babies. I'm fine, seriously. It's these guys who aren't :/ (I guess that sounds ungrateful, but it's just like when one of my hermit crab lost all her legs and I had to feed her and water her, everyone kept telling me how sorry they were for me, but I wasn't the one who had been turned into a worm. I don't know, I'm weird)
My super old camera is acting up, so no pictures today :/ or at least, nothing anyone would recognize as shapes

Email her and ask if she'll do it if you pay? Get us a price and we'll go from there.

Have you tried ANY of the babies on the Woody's Diet? They cannot have regular food, and fibre will kill them...the cooked veggies in baby foods are almost pre-digested for them. Did you read the article? It might make them more comfortable until you are able to help them from their pain.

lilspaz68 said:
Email her and ask if she'll do it if you pay? Get us a price and we'll go from there.

Have you tried ANY of the babies on the Woody's Diet? They cannot have regular food, and fibre will kill them...the cooked veggies in baby foods are almost pre-digested for them. Did you read the article? It might make them more comfortable until you are able to help them from their pain.
They're on different foods, that's why I said they're separated
What kind of dosage would I give them for the pain meds? I can ask dad about it

jorats said:
At this point, I think it might be best to discuss euthanasia with your vet and find out what she would charge you.

I did. Awhile ago. It's 90$ per baby which is why I'm trying to find another way, which isn't easy because it has to be this special way apparently

the gas is expensive, see if the vet would be willing to give a subQ injection of xylazine and follow that with an IP injection- it should be considerably cheaper

the xylazine is a sedative with analgesic properties so that the IP injection won't hurt

can you post a video of these babies. I think before we speak about putting them to sleep we should see taht it is in fact mc. It is hard to say from those pictures for sure so I think a video of the babies would be helpful.

See if the vet will do it if you pay ... it shouldn't be that expensive ... if she uses the gas mix which you said was her suggestion, then they would all be done at the same time with each being injected after unconsciousness ... which it sounds like she also suggested. The same needle could likely be used for all and the amount injected wouldn't be that much.
It also shouldn't take much time ... likely a couple of appointment time slots.

I don't have any advice, but I have been reading through your thread, I was so excited when babies were born and sad when you found out there was problems.Sorry if it's not okay to ask questions, I have no idea what MC is but why do they have to be put down because of it? is it deadly? is there nothing that can be done to help? If I had money to help you out I would, if I lived closer I'd take in a baby or ten lol.

I got a vet who wanted to help but backed out again when I told him about the money. I brought five babies who were well along the way to a reptile rescue a friend of mine runs in Abbotsford, he used a gas chamber, it's not the way you guys wanted but it was almost instant and I can't let them suffer. One of the babies didn't make it in time, I found her torn apart and the other babies were making a mess with her.. yea. this is better. It happened the day before I had arranged to bring them in last week.
One of the mini babies is having tummy troubles, but it's very easy for me to get him to poop when I stimulate him, so I have high hopes for him. He's sweet, and perks right up after he poops. His poop isn't irregular yet so.. but I do have him and his other mini brother separated and back on formula/starter foods/soft oxbow. Mae and the bigger babies are bullying them and it was freaking me out
This has all been really awful, but I guess it's what I'm in for if I'm getting into the rescue business. I just wish I could of done better with these babies, but believe me when I say I wasn't prepared for this
Mattiee passed away last night, curled up with her girls, I had been hand feeding her for a couple days before that
I have a retired lady who wants all my girl babies and will be coming to see them in a couple weeks, so I'll have 8 boys, four I'm keeping if I can find homes for the others I like
Everyone else is doing great in the critter nation, I'm exhausted

RockyGurly said:
I got a vet who wanted to help but backed out again when I told him about the money. I brought five babies who were well along the way to a reptile rescue a friend of mine runs in Abbotsford, he used a gas chamber, it's not the way you guys wanted but it was almost instant and I can't let them suffer. One of the babies didn't make it in time, I found her torn apart and the other babies were making a mess with her.. yea. this is better. It happened the day before I had arranged to bring them in last week.
One of the mini babies is having tummy troubles, but it's very easy for me to get him to poop when I stimulate him, so I have high hopes for him. He's sweet, and perks right up after he poops. His poop isn't irregular yet so.. but I do have him and his other mini brother separated and back on formula/starter foods/soft oxbow. Mae and the bigger babies are bullying them and it was freaking me out
This has all been really awful, but I guess it's what I'm in for if I'm getting into the rescue business. I just wish I could of done better with these babies, but believe me when I say I wasn't prepared for this
Mattiee passed away last night, curled up with her girls, I had been hand feeding her for a couple days before that
I have a retired lady who wants all my girl babies and will be coming to see them in a couple weeks, so I'll have 8 boys, four I'm keeping if I can find homes for the others I like

isnt mattiie the mom of the first litter? what happened to her and why did she die? I am confused. I thought there was just problems with the babies.?

hopefloats said:
RockyGurly said:

isnt mattiie the mom of the first litter? what happened to her and why did she die? I am confused. I thought there was just problems with the babies.?

Mattie was the momma and was sick for a while..

RockyGurly said:
Well the last 24 hours have been a rollar coaster. Last night the guys called me to tell me that not only have they not shipped out my cage, but they want an extra 200$ before they do. So obviously that's out, I got my money back at least. Mae's small babies have opened their eyes and gone back with Mae since I'm back in school now, and they're doing great now that they're mobile. Some of Mattiees babies have megacolon in a really bad way, I'll be bringing them to the local SPCA this weekend to see if they can help.
And then today, after lots of panicking, freaking out and a bit of crying, me and my friend scoured the internet and found someone 10 minutes away from me selling their used critter nation, two levels, for 200$. I called her and I'll be picking it up tomorrow or thursday! So that's JUST in time to separate Mattiee's healthy babies and get them out of the bathroom before dad comes home.
Mattiee is on her way out, her breathing is becoming laboured and her fur is thin and her eyes are watery. I brought her to my vet and she told me there's nothing I can do but keep her comfortable, it's just because of the overbred life she's lived. Despite having plenty to eat, she's very thin and slow. Even the babies are gentle with her, they groom her and snuggle her. I'm really glad I'll have a proper cage soon, full of soft beds and fleece and her babies to love, so at least she'll be comfortable in her last few weeks or months
I got my computer back and once I'm done sorting through, uploading, editing and uploading 500 pictures to photobucket, I'll post a bunch everywhere of the babies and some long overdue shots of Mattiee's babies

I just read through this...what a terrible tragedy...poor ratties.

Back