Arrests at the THS

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
God, that's messed up! How can you not notice a cat in a live trap for god-knows-how-long ESPECIALLY when somebody obviously put it up there in the first place?!! The cat would have been meowing and meowing while it was alive and then it would have stunk like crazy after it had died...then again, cries for help and the smell of death were apparently everywhere in that place... :redhot:

I went to the shelter in September 2007 to adopt a dog and was absolutely horrified at the conditions the animals were kept in. It was all I could do to not start crying. It was because of this that I was 100% on board when Vanessa put out the call for people to join the protest against Tim Trow and his group of nut bars.

:congrats!: Vanessa!

Well, I guess that most people who know me know how thrilled I must be at the events that took place late this week at Toronto Humane.
It has been a long time coming, and there are many, many people who were involved in making this happen behind the scenes that have dedicated their lives to helping the animals down there. Marcie and Melanie Laking have been tireless in their efforts to bring about justice for those animals at the expense of their families and personal lives. To a lesser extent, the members of the Toronto Humane Society Protest Group have dedicated dozens of hours to try to bring awareness to the conditions that those animals had to endure, as well as hundreds of dollars out of their pockets.
There were times when all of us were tired and getting very discouraged at how slowly things were unfolding and we all questioned whether we were ever going to see anything come to fruition before the statute ran out on December 2nd - making the events of this week an unbelievable relief to every single one of us.
I want to take this opportunity to thank some people. I want to thank Marcie and Melanie and their families for all their patience and support, I want to thank everyone in the Protest Group who hung in there through it all - both the good and bad, I want to thank the press who helped us and kept our story alive in the public eye - especially Daniel Dale at the Toronto Star, I want to thank the investigators from the Investigators Group for being as thorough as they were in obtaining and pouring through the hundreds of hours of testimonies and the reams of transcripts from those who testified - the stories and images that they were forced to endure will probably stay with them for the rest of their lives, I want to thank those current employees and volunteers who stuck their necks on the block to get us information from inside - even though they were facing harsh punishment if they were ever caught, I want to thank all the vets who quietly told their stories but struggled to stay in the shadows, and I want to thank all those members here who always stood behind me and never let me down in their support. Shelagh, Ashley and Elizabeth, a big thank you from the bottom of my heart for being there with me and always finding the time to come out and show your support with us.
It isn't over yet, and we still have lots of obstacles to overcome, but already things are in play to ensure that the Toronto Humane Society will again be a safe haven for Toronto's homeless animals.

'Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.' - Saint Francis of Assisi

toronto_humane_s_354308gm-a.jpg

Toronto Humane Society officials arrested, face animal-cruelty charges

Arrests Made At Toronto Humane Society

79c08a2b46b18175f61ea41f8878.jpeg

Humane Society President Tim Trow is shown inside a police car after a search warrant led to charges on Thursday, Nov. 26, 2009

Cruelty charges at Toronto Humane Society

Mummified cat found at Humane Society **Warning Graphic Video**

Congratulations and thank you to you all!

:joy: You did an amazing thing getting these conditions brought to the public eye, AND charges brought against the monsters responsible! :joy:

That poor cat in that trap :cry4: That is horrible, what a horrible way to die starving, thristy and alone. Poor thing. I hope all these animals will have better care now that they have taken those boys out of there. Maybe will all this poblicity on the topic will make people go and adopt some animals. Such a sad situation, you think shelters are supposed to be the helpers not the Grim Reaper.

Someone was asking for Canadian input on this situation with the arrests so I joined ChicagoNow and posted, I also just put up a brief timeline on the whole situation if anyone is curious? I missed some other stuff but wasn't sure how many characters were allowed to be posted in ONE comment...hehehee

1) May 29/09 – Kate Hammer of Globe and Mail published the first of her expose series on the THS…it is the best of the articles and one that should be read (warning about the pics, they are sad and horrific)
2) http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nat ... le1160810/
3) The OSPCA got involved and the public were encouraged to contact them with their stories on a confidential basis.
4) June 2/09 – the OSPCA executed a search warrant on the THS, finding 4 animals in immediate distress and issued orders for them to get medical care, they also suspended their affiliation status as cruelty investigators. We were told it would take a few weeks for the investigation.
5) June 3/09 – Kate Hammer puts up another article this one on donations that are not recorded and finances. The information was from people who had left the THS.
6) http://www.reformths.com/060209.html
7) June 11/09 – the Board reaffirms its support of Tim Trow (most of them had known him from decades), more financial matter
8) http://www.reformths.com/061109.html
9) July 23/09 – OSPCA puts up a press release saying they have been overwhelmed by the number of people coming forward and had to retain services of the Investigators Group to support in the sheer volume involved
10) The THS start denying applications to be a member, even to critics that never applied. The critics start telling the public to apply to be a member so they can attend the AGM. Soon after this the application for membership is removed from the THS website.
11) Its taken to the courts. The THS claims the OSPCA doesn’t have the right to make their vets perform medical treatments and tell them how to care for their animals. Superior court judges that this matter can go ahead under the Animal Care Review Board.
12) During this time MANY individuals came forward, former employees, current employees, adopters etc, and told their stories. There were also protests outside the THS (I was at both) where Tim Trow actually hired security guards to make sure that we didn’t try anything. These guards were hired through donation funds like so many other things.
13) Aug. 25/09 - THS sues former employee for 1.5 million
14) http://www.thestar.com/article/685965
15) Aug 31/09 – THS Lawyer sends letter warning another ex-employee to stop defamation or they would not hesitate to sue.
16) Sept. 5/09 - More legal stuff comes out – many organizations and individuals receive letters threatening legal action, the THS is suing the Hamilton SPCA for $200,000.00 and tens of thousands of donator’s funds have been used to defend the pitbull Bandit who was court-ordered to be euthanized after his attack on a young boy that caused 300 stitches. Tim Trow refused and has been spending money on appeals. This is the dog that attacked a police officer on Thurs and was pepper-sprayed and brought under control.
17) The AGM time is finally announced as Sept 30th at 1:30pm (Wednesday). IF members do not show up the vote automatically goes to Tim Trow …there’s all this discussion bout Proxy votes and that votes from the previous year still count…I never understood all of this. If anyone wants me to elaborate I will try later on after researching it. There was ONE member/critic who was actually running for the Board.
18) Sept. 30/09 – articles come out on the 2006 Investigations by the OSPCA that were never followed up on by other agencies. The actual investigation documents are included and are too similar as to now.
19) People from the AGM tell us it was horribly mismanaged and actually a joke. This is an article I will include later on as I am sure the business-oriented will find it interesting.
20) And finally the raid and arrests of the 5 members.

If anyone can find the live interview I did with CP24 outside the Humane Society on Thursday night, at 7pm, can you post it here? I didn't get a chance to see it.

Unfortunately so many animals had to suffer before this came to an end but finally there is justice. Now perhaps homeless animals in the Toronto area can get the care (and to die in peace if suffering) they deserve.

People who wish to donate to help the animals at the THS and NOT fund the legal expenses of Trow and his crew can make a donation through the OSPCA. The funds are earmarked for ONLY the animals at the THS if you specify this as your wish. If you are a current monthly donor, change your banking to reflect this, at least until new administration is in place.
Call 1-888-668-7722 and go to extension 322. Cathy will accept your donation and it will go right to the THS animals. Phones are a bit busy right now, so please leave a message if you must..... your kind gift will be arranged for ASAP!
If you're interested in making a non-cash donation to the Toronto Humane Society, they really need clean blankets and towels (used is fine) and high-quality leashes and collars for dogs of all sizes. Donations can be dropped off inside the front door entrance at 11 River Street.

Great links, Shelagh, and thanks for the heads up on donations, Vanessa. I know a lot of people are concerned about not being able to help the animals currently.

New news about the THS can be found here:

http://www.torontohumanesociety.com/

December 4, 2009
For Immediate Release

Animal Care Review Board Decision

Toronto, ON – Yesterday Ontario’s Animal Care Review Board ruled against the three of the four animal care orders issued by the Ontario Society of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (OSPCA) in its June 2009 search of the Toronto Humane Society’s River Street location.

The Board ruled that Care Compliance Orders involving three cats under the care of the Society’s veterinarians were “not based on reasonable grounds.”

In its decision the Board stated, “Because of the nature of the THS facility, which takes in animals that are abandoned, abused, or surrendered by people who are unable or unwilling to provide veterinary care, a significant proportion of the animals, at the time of their admittance, are sick and in pain and suffering and, therefore are in distress, as defined in the Act”. This is a welcome acknowledgment of the difficult job that the THS is asked to perform.

In its decision, the Board noted that on June 2nd there were over 1000 animals in the Toronto Humane Society and Hospital. The evidence at the hearing showed that one sick cat “slipped through the cracks”. Happily, the cat in question is healthy and has been adopted to a loving home.

“As an organization, we are constantly re-evaluating our performance, and we are listening to our members and supporters,” said Hambley. “We are also listening carefully to the Board. We know there may be areas in which we can be better. The public has my assurance as the new President that I’m working on that every day.”

Back