Arrests at the THS

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
God love yas for standing by whats right and never giving up! Those photos made me ball my eyes out, OMG. I hope they get hit with everything they can get hit with. How disturbing is it when those sent to protect these animals, are actually harming them?! SICK SICK SICK! YAY for something happening!

lilspaz68 said:
Here you go...great vid that explains so much more!

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/ ... ntoNewHome

Max jail time is 2 years PER COUNT...and the entire Board of Directors is also charged with 5 counts of Cruelty to Animals. :happydance:

Vanessa DID this!! Moon, Mumsy and Me supported her but Vanessa bled for this cause. She must be over the moon!!! :thumbup:
:bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

I love how at the end of the video they can be banned for life of owning any animals.

OMG! I am not in Ontario so up until now I was not aware of this situation...how sad for those poor animals suffering like that.
I know being a shelter volunteer in the past that sometimes things get over whelming and hard to keep up with but we still always managed to get whatever needed done done...animals should not suffer will injuries and illnesses with out proper treatment or be humanely PTS if nothing else can be done...
My heart is broken...I hope justice is served and the THS is able to recover and get back on track with caring people.

lj said:
Catibrie said:
I am so glad to hear about this. Hopefully they are charged strongly enough to set steep punishment precedent for animal cruelty. A smack on the wrist for this just won't do.

That's what sucks about our country. It said a max of $2000 fine or up to 6 monts in jail.

Oh geeze. I thought it said both. Pfft. I vote 6 YEARS in jail or $200 000.00!!

i really do hope and pray that he is punished for what he has done...

but the biggest upside i can see to all of this even IF he isnt.. is that he is out of there

I hope Trow makes a pretty boyfriend for some lonely boys in jail. I'm pleased that this might carry a lifetime animal ownership ban for the people involved.

lilspaz68 said:
He was released on bail last night from 52nd division, and he is saying its "all nonsense" LOL

How can monsters like him be released on bail? That's gross. Oh well, he isn't going far.. the cops know where to find him. He must realize that he's likely kissing his freedom goodbye, I see definite jailtime in his future. Judges really have a firm dislike for child and animal abusers.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/ ... ty653.html
Four animals inside the Toronto Humane Society's shelter in the east end of the city had to be euthanized after animal cruelty charges were laid against the president and the board of directors at the facility.

A puppy, two cats and a raccoon were euthanized overnight Thursday, said Alison Cross of the Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, or OSPCA.

The OSPCA alleges dozens of animals were neglected at the Toronto shelter, including dozens left to die in their cages without proper care and nutrition.

The River Street shelter is now closed and under the jurisdiction of the OSPCA.

Toronto Humane Society (THS) staff are barred from entering the building as the Toronto Police and the OSPCA investigate the conditions at the facility.

In a further development, prior to a media tour of the shelter on Friday afternoon, OSPCA investigator Kevin Strooband told reporters his staff had found a dead cat caught in a trap inside the building.

He described the device as a live trap, meant to catch animals to transport them for humane purposes.

"This is pretty deliberate," Strooband told reporters. "Somebody set that trap and knew it was up there. But it wasn't checked until we received some information just now saying that there might be one up there."

Earlier Friday, Ian McConachie, a THS spokesman, was arrested as he tried to retrieve documents from the office. He was briefly detained before being released without a charge.
Shelter to open Tuesday

Around 1,100 animals are still inside and under the care of veterinarians, and will be put up for adoption Tuesday when the shelter reopens, the OSPCA said.

Five senior officials have been arrested and charged with animal cruelty after police conducted a Thursday afternoon raid:

* President Tim Trow.
* General manager Gary McCracken.
* Head veterinarian, Dr. Steve Sheridan.
* Supervisor Andy Bechtel.
* Manager Romeo Bernadino.

Charges against Trow, McCracken, Bechtel and Bernadino also include obstruction of a peace officer.

Members of the society's board of directors were also charged with five counts of animal cruelty, a provincial offence under the Ontario SPCA Act.

A Toronto Humane Society spokesperson called the OSPCA's actions disgusting and politically motivated. There has been a long-running feud between the two animal-care organizations, he said.
Euthanasia policy under fire

OSPCA lawyer Christopher Avery alleges the Toronto society is reluctant to euthanize sick or dying animals, and blames management for dictating euthanasia policy without taking the animals' best interests into account.

"What Mr. Trow did is he instituted a policy where the veterinarians, contrary to the regulations and laws that relate to veterinary medicine, aren't able to make the final decision with respect to their patients' medical care," Avery told CBC News.

"Euthanasia can only be approved by management, and management seemed more concerned with their euthanasia statistics because they use them for fundraising purposes as opposed to the best medical needs of the animals."

The society relies on donations as the sole source of its operating funds.

All five senior officials were released on bail late Thursday night. They are expected to appear in court in January.

Mummified cat found in ceiling at Toronto Humane Society

By Philippa Croome and Kenyon Wallace, National Post

OSPCA investigators found a mummified cat in the ceiling of the Toronto Humane Society offices on River Street, the agency said today.

The cat was found in a live trap, meant as a humane method of catching an animal, but it had apparently never been checked, said Kevin Strooband, an Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals investigator

‘‘It sent chills down my spine,’’ said Mr Strooband, who met reporters today outside the humane society office as it gives media tours of the facility.

‘‘This is pretty deliberate. Somebody set that trap and knew it was up there.’’

The humane society's controversial president, chief veterinarian and general manager were arrested and charged with animal cruelty after a six-month investigation allegedly revealed that dozens of "disease-infested" animals were left to die in their cages rather than being euthanized.

The arrests came late yesterday afternoon shortly after the OSPCA raided the Humane Society's River Street building based on evidence that staff allegedly failed to provide animals with adequate food and water and also attempted to prevent peace officers from conducting an inspection earlier this year.

"There's absolutely no disease control or pathogen control in this building," said Christopher Avery, a lawyer representing the OSPCA. "The animals are left to catch horrible diseases and die in their crates based on the euthanasia policy in refusing to allow the veterinarians who work here to do their jobs."

Tim Trow, the Humane Society's president (pictured being arrested yesterday), is charged with cruelty to animals, conspiracy to commit an indictable offence and obstruction of a peace officer. Chief veterinarian Steve Sheridan, general manager Gary McCracken, shelter supervisor Andy Bechtel, and manager Romeo Bernadino are also charged with cruelty to animals and conspiracy to commit an indictable offence. All five, along with the Humane Society's board of directors, also face charges of animal cruelty, a provincial offence under the Ontario SPCA Act.

Mr. Avery said that a Toronto police officer was forced to pepper spray Mr. Trow's dog, Bandit, when it attacked the officer during the raid

OH NO! Why didn't they pin something on Ian McConachie while they had the chance??? That stupid fucking douchebag of an asshole needs to get what's coming to him and soon....

My heart goes out to all those poor animals , but I am so happy some justice is being brought down , but it should have never happened in the first place :(

Here is the poor cat

2277486.bin

Back