ARG!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bronwyn

My rats are in biiiiig trouble. They chose the worst day possible to do this.

I've had a lot on my plate lately so it was no shock to have trouble getting to sleep. I finally dozed off around 4 am.

I was having a dream about my cat but it turned into my rats. I was brought to reality when I felt my ring being pulled from my finger. Alice is pretty annoying but she doesn't do that. I open my eyes to see a large rat silhoutted in the light that's slowly rising. Elphie was chewing my precious ring. I quickly sat up and there was Brie on my dresser, chewing my Macbook cord. Very much wanting to pinch myself to wake up I knew it wasn't a dream.

Fuzzy eyed I surveyed the cage. The door was closed. Did I let them out in my sleep? They didn't weasel out of the bars. Not both. Then I saw it. A huge gaping hole where the corner of the base was. It's actually ALL GONE. Hilary must have missed it - I only got home late last night from the farm.

So now I have a 15 minute window to buy them a new cage before the car goes up north again, no time for grocery shopping.

As you all know I was buying a new one anyway but oh my god this isn't going to fit in the car with everything I've bought for the apartment in the last week. So my final moving plans are messed up as I need to leave stuff behind to fit them in. All they had to do was wait until I got to Guelph. THREE DAYS!

So now my parents are pretty upset knowing what this new one will cost them and the girls are in hamster cages to get them through the night without destroying anything else and my LAPTOP cord is ruined! I'm afraid to check what else they ate in the hour I was asleep. And I'm running on 2 hours of sleep. *sob*

When rats are used to getting out and they are left in their cage, they can get up to a world of trouble. :(

You are going to have to make sure your next cage doesn't have those nice chewable bases. :p

Yikes! I bet those girls were pretty proud of themselves.
Left to their own devices, they can sure cause some damage.
You should look for a cage with a metal base perhaps?

Yikes! :shock: That is my worse fear especially because I have two birk girls who are just filled with trouble and that would be something they would do!

I'm back!

Sorry abuout my bad mood earlier. I should have added that I'm allergic to rat scratches and Brie really tore up my legs last night when I was trying to catch her.

They were in that cage since last August. The timing is just...unbelieveable.

So...guys...I now own an FN. :shock: Shock hasn't gone away yet.

I bought the Add-On so hopefully that'll be alright. The base was so much money with that stand so since both have the same amount of space, hopefully with some wood or...something they'll be okay.

*falls onto bed fast asleep*

Edit: Oh my God this is big. Oh, and the lady (who clearly knew little about rats) also said I was making a huge mistake buying an FN because they'd eat the plastic tray. How do I avoid this?

For the FN? There should be a metal piece for the top just like the other sides and you have the 2 big doors in the front for each one.

I don't think the add on has the bottom grid. :(
Because it's an add on for an existing FN that already have the top grid to be used as the bottom grid for the new add on.

the front opens up, no door on the top.
Bronwyn are you trying to put it together right now?

I would just wait the 3 days, keep it in its box, and build it when you get there.

*nods* The lid is supposed to be from the base model. Whyyyyy did the lady not mention this as we debated with her which to buy? I asked her if the only difference was the base and she said yes!

I was trying to put it together, I just opened the instructions where I saw the pieces and realized what huge trouble I'm in now. My parents were upset before. This is awful, we have no time to return this thing :( I emailed my Dad's blackberry...easier to break the news when you're many city blocks apart!

Edit: Putting it together simply because the girls can't live in this little hamster cage for that long :( I felt awful doing it overnight.

jorats said:
I don't think the add on has the bottom grid. :(
Because it's an add on for an existing FN that already have the top grid to be used as the bottom grid for the new add on.

Ohh ouch. :(

I think you are going to have to return it then, since you kinda need a bottom. :(

Melissa said:
Wouldn't it atleast have the bottom grid but with a hole in it for the ladder?

That is the top of the bottom cage, Melissa. The add on rests on top if you know what I mean?

Oh I see what you mean, because yours has the solid top. Hmmm.

Melissa said:
Wouldn't it atleast have the bottom grid but with a hole in it for the ladder?

That's right. It must have the grid with the hole in it to be the add on. Then it won't have a top.. you must use the existing top of the existing FN to use the add on.

The ladder extends downwards or something so there's no hole, only in the plastic tray (above the wire floor) which is alright in terms of keeping them in the cage. But yeah this has to be returned.

Maybe this is her revenge from me correcting her about pine shavings and appropriate food for rats the last time I was in there (a few days ago).

Edit: I should say there can be a hole, if you move the ladder down. I think. I haven't removed anything from the plastic.

When it rains it pours is right!!

Bronwyn said:
The ladder extends downwards or something so there's no hole, only in the plastic tray (above the wire floor) which is alright in terms of keeping them in the cage. But yeah this has to be returned.

Maybe this is her revenge from me correcting her about pine shavings and appropriate food for rats the last time I was in there (a few days ago).
Ok, I understand now. I guess you need to swap it for the bottom one if your parents will do that for you.

I wish I had a car I would totally help you!

Back