Anxiety?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raindrop

This maybe a personal question but I need some info for my daughter. She has started a new job with Children Aid Society and she is having a hard time cooping. My husband went throught this anxiety issue back in 1993 but he can't remember the meds that he took to work it out.
Does anybody have anxiety issues or know some one who has it and what they take. She would have to go to a clinic to get it as she doesn't have a regular doctor.

Ann

Hi Ann, Scott has anxiety issues that prevent him from sleeping at night. He takes Novo-mirtazapine. It's mild but it really helps him.

Sometime I get terrible anxiety and cannot sleep for days. I lay there thinking "bills, no money, someone needs to go to the vet and when was the cut-off date on the Electric bill?" So I take Xanax (sp). I take .5 mg and it really helps me sleep and I wake in the morning happier and less stressed.

I have a wee bit of experience with anxiety and anxiety meds....
:wink:

I've taken Serax, and it helps take the edge off... most of the time. I can't tolerate most Benzodiazapines - they make me agitated instead of relaxed!

My mom takes (and swears by) Buspar, but it did nothing for me.

Like everything else, different stuff works for different people, and depends on how severe the symptoms are, chronic anxiety or situational, etc etc etc.

I take welbutrin for depression/anxiety, but not sure how good it is for anxiety alone. Best bet is to do your research on the different meds available and their side effects so she can ask her doctor and have her go over everything then. Its better to know what the drugs do and how hard it is to get off them when you see the doctor as these names make little sense on their own and there is so much info and side effects for each one.
Don't take paxil... it makes anxiety worse for some ppl.

Medication is not always the answer, but it can help.

My doctor has me on supplements and did an overhaul on my diet. I definitely recommend a counselor. You can find ones that charge on a "sliding scale" basis so that you can afford it on any income. I pay $10 a session through the Jewish Family and Children Services. Anyone can use it, Jewish or not, I'm not jewish.

But seriously, meds can make you feel worse, I did. These supplements and counseling are working very well for me.

Yeh, I've been struggling with anxiety, depression, suicidal tendencies and self harm for erm... 8 years now. EDIT: Ah I'm 21 now, so 9 years... just about

I've been diagnosed with OCD and clinical depression and currently take the max dose of 60mg of Prozac a day, along with regurlar psychiatrist appointments. I've been on all sorts of tablets, and met all kinds of therapists and psychoanalists and whatnot.

I'd be happy to help if I can, I'm currently on a postive run at the moment, I haven't self harmed for 2 weeks, and haven't had a suicide attempt for a massive year and 4 months :D

It's indescribable when you get that low, so low that you just stop thinking about your friends and family, and the need to get out of it all completely overwhelms you... The guilt I feel now, and shame, is hideous.

I just hope one day, once I'm sorted, I can help other people and stop them getting that low... If I can help anyone, I will, because what I'm going through is horrible and I don't want to see someone else go through anything similar...

Hmmm started rambling a bit there... Sorry... but if you have worries about the situation, I'm someone you can bounce your ideas off, because if anything is going to make me happy again, it's helping other people... and animals of course :)

I haven't self harmed for 2 weeks, and haven't had a suicide attempt for a massive year and 4 months :D

It's indescribable when you get that low, so low that you just stop thinking about your friends and family, and the need to get out of it all completely overwhelms you... The guilt I feel now, and shame, is hideous.

Two weeks is forever when you self harm. I remember when I couldn't go two days. It's now been going on two years for me since I've done that. Not that it's not still a struggle not to some days.

I still have days when I am so unbelievably down, and am so overwhelmed by nothing and everything all at once that all I can think about is a way out. It's still a daily battle.

And there's just no way of making people who don't experience this understand the absolute despair of that dark place. What I would give to be one of those people who don't understand!

KristyR said:
And there's just no way of making people who don't experience this understand the absolute despair of that dark place. What I would give to be one of those people who don't understand!

Me too... or maybe, I'd like to understand it for the sake of others but not be in it myself. 2 years is a huge achievement.. good stuff!!

Yeh 2 weeks is huge for me.. this time a year ago I couldn't go a day without it... and that was a nightmare because I was constantly in hospital getting stitches... not good!!

Those that self harm, is that the same as SIB (self Injurious Behaviour) which is a neurological disorder linked with OCD and TS. Or is it a symptom of your depression?

For me, it definitely goes along with my depression. It was a dysfunctional way to express the pain inside. But still not expressing it, because then I had to hide the injuries. So, in spite of the momentary relief I got from it, the shame and guilt I felt later about doing it just made the situation worse than it already was. So started many downward spirals....

yes self harm's the same Jo. SIB isn't a disorder in itself, it just describes what kind of behavious it is, also called SM sometimes (Self Mutilation). So SIB is a symptom of OCD, depression, bipolar and all the rest, any mental disorder at all. So it's true for me to say "I self harm, I have SIB - same thing!" Just like fatigue can be a symptom of any physical illness, self harming behavious can be a symptom of any mental disorder... It completely depends on the person, some get angry, some drink, some are violent, some a manic... some self harm!

I have no idea why I started to do it, I'd never heard of it before. I was 12 and just knew, instinctively, that a cut would make me feel better... and naturally it does! They body releases adrenalina dn endorphins to conteract the pain, and so you get a little natural high off it... It's sad that some people have to resort to this tiny high obtained in such a sad way, because it seems to them, that it's the only hig they can get.

I continued to do it, as it literally "made my head shut up" My worries and deep despair over nothing and anything and everything, just disappeared!!! Only for a short while, but I get so sad, a cut is worth it for that little bit of relief.. And it would come straight back again within half a day perhaps... Now, the prozac delays the reoccurances so the effects of a cut seem to last a week (when it's really the prozac that helps me).

Hmmm... my train of though has ground to a halt...

I really don't know what drove me to do this kind of thing, but I do know, that if I hadn't used it to cope, I would have had many more suicide attempts and eventually have been successful.. My scars are keloid and hideous, but I'm still alive, I've got to be grateful.

It's a rocky road for everyone, but it's a shame that some fall on to the rockier verges, and a tragedy that some fall off the edge.

I've been too near the edge a number of times, but I'm safely on a verge now :) very very hard going, but I'm heading for the road!

The reason I asked, my youngest has a number of those little letters, including SIB but he only did it when he was very young, and it wasn't part of depression, just something he did, kind of like twirling your hair with your finger. Our psychiatrist told us it was part of his neurological disorder, not exactly a symptom but a stand alone disorder/behaviour, like OCD, but in his case, he has OCB. His "main" disorder is Tourette Syndrome. The rest is just ...um bonus features.

Those letters aren't nice after your name... but as I said, SIB isn't a disorder on it's own, so if he doesn't harm anymore, then those letters shouldn't be there... but however annoying and intrusive they seem, they are just letters on a medical record, not part of your name. I hope everything is ok nowadays at your end of the line, and that you are all coping... Is the tourettes managable? x

it seems like all of us have depression or anxiety, I have had both since the battle with cancer began 2 years ago, it is hard, I take Effexor XR each day for my depression & if my anxiety gets out of hand I take one Lorazepam, my Dr dosen't like me to use them much but they both help, Effexor is supposed to be very good, but I still fight deperssion! Good luck! :worry:

Back