Animals are not disposable OR recyclable(almost 8 weeks old)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
breakthenight said:
Im more glad I didn't listen to that first *insert nasty word here*
That clinic DOES advertize a 24 hour emergency service...

Wow.... it's time to put on your complaining hat!

I am so happy you found such a wonderful vet, he sounds amazing.

Bailey and all the other kittens are doing very well today. I finally got a scale here at home, so today I started recording the kittens weight so I can make sure that they are gaining appropriately. Most of the kittens are obviously doing so- They are very plump and large, however Bailey and her brother Jack are quite small, Jack especially so being the runts of the litter, so I want to make sure they are gaining even though they are smaller than their brother and sisters. All the kittens range in weight from 320g-450g(11.3oz-15.9oz), averaging out at 392g (13.8oz)

Jack:320g/11.3oz
Zoey:410g/14.5oz
Sophie:390g/13.8oz
Lexi:430g/15.2oz
Blaise:450g/15.9oz
Bailey:350g/12.3oz

So even little Jack is still within the range of normal growth, though would like to see his gain a little higher-he is not a gerat eater so we really have to work with him, though I always end up getting the full 15ml into him every 4 hours. Since all the kittens are healthy and active, I am hoping they will continue to grow into beautiful cats!

Unfortunately I have not updated because things have not been well here. Here are some updates as posted on a cat site seeking advice:

July 6th,11am
On day 17 I was unable to find any KMR milk replacer which was what we were feeding, and all the vet clinics who do supply it were put on back order so it was not looking good and because the kittens had to eat I switched them to Pro-bio lac. Shortly after this all the kittens had diarrhea and began to vomit and I had to try and push the fluids on them to prevent dehydration. Finally a very nice lady who does kitten rescue offered me a bulk amount of KMR powdered and we switched them back. After their first meal on KMR (my mom was babysitting them as I was supposed to be going to visit my boyfriends parents) several of the kittens began to have profuse diarrhea and vomit, and became limp and listless. My parents picked my up, and we rushed to the vet where they were given sub-q fluids, tube fed and put into an incubator for the night. That night I got a call that two of my babies had passed away, Bailey and another female Zoey. My heart is so broken over it I can't even think about it. I can't even sleep and feel sick when I eat. I know we are told not to get attached when we try and raise these little creatures, but it doesn't help. They are my babies. THe next afternoon the four remaining kittens were looking up and the vets agreed that the food change likely prompted the stomahc upset resulting in the diarrhea and vomiting causing dehydration and low blood sugar. All night the kittens did well, fed well played and slept. The next morning at 6am-same story. One of the kittens Lexi was limp and unresponsive, her sister Sophie was also very ill and brother Jack was fading fast. We rushed them to the vet, same treatment and they were put into an incubator for the day. I was told that they did not really expect them to survive. They sent me home with the other boy Blaise who was not showing symptoms. However within a few hours he began to have massive amounts of diarrhea and vomit so I brought him back to be kept at the vets with the others(who were now improving) and they were tested for Panleuk, and the test results were negative. We were then sent home with the advice of feeding only on demand and giving them pedialite with their food and after severe bouts of diarrhea and vomiting, which I did. Dispite this after about 12 hours of being fine, Blaise became limp and nearly unresponsive. I had to wait for a drive so I took him next door where the neighbour administered sub-q fluids and then I took the whole litter to the vets. Jack was looking a little less active and a bit listless so they took him back too, and on my request they kept the entire litter overnight because I was afraid the girls would fall ill during the night. Jack, Sophie and Lexi felt much better, but still just ok by this morning, Blaise is in the early stages of recovery. This morning when the e-vet closed they were transfered over to my regular vet and are being treated with sub-q fluids, tube feeding Blaise and bottle feeding the others, all kept in an incubator. They are 22 days old today(3 weeks and one day). They have started them on an antibiotic, I want to say Meta something or other incase the illness is caused by bacteria overgrowth.

July 6th 9:30pm

The babies are home with me now. They were fed at the vets at 7pm- cried for food so much I gave them 5mls at 9 to help them settle some, Blaise is still crying, tried the cuddles which worked for a while but I dont want to take him out of the nestbox for too long even for cuddles in a warm blankie. He is hungry but their food intake is being highly regulated :7 to 10mls evry 4 hours...no big meals or overfeeding just enough to keep them quite hydrated but help stave of diarrhea. But my babies are so hungry . They look great, active and alert for now. Fingers crossed. Crying is better than limp unresponsiveness.

July 7th 11am
The babies are doing well this morning, lots of energy and good appetites. They are being fed every 3 hours now, and they want to take 10mls(of course they would guzzle 100 I think if I let them, not that I am complaining now). Feeding any less than this leaves them so hungry they cry instead of sleeping. They miss being able to be out with me and they cry for attention and all I can do is stick my hand in the box to give them lovins because I am too afraid to take them out of the regulated 90 degree heat. They took their medicine ok though by the looks on their little faces it tastes horrible. 0.5 mls of pedialyte every 6 hours, plus whenever they have diarrhea also. Ive switched exclusively to liquid preprepared KMR because it is easy to bring along if they have to be admited so that they are getting the same food at the vets, and it does not need water which could potentially be a contaminant and vary in composition from place to place. PLease keep my babies in your thoughts.

Today
Four remaining babies are still holding on and seem to be doing good. Blaise had a huge bout of diarrhea and vomiting, so I gave him extra pedialyte and cuddled him on my chest for warmth where I could watch him. He is so far doing ok dispite this, so no reason to bring him in. He ate his last feeding an hour ago from the syringe great, so he does not need to be taken in for tube feeding. There is little more the vets can do for him now than I can here if he is feeding ok. Jack also had quite a bit of diarrhea but at the end there was some formed poop, so a bit of extra pedialyte and he is very active and healthy looking as of now. The girls are doing well, Sophie is probably doing the best out of the lot today, but everyone is still doing betetr than before *knock on wood*. I just need to give them time for their medicine to kick in fully I guess. Considering taking in some feces for a fecal to be done, but as I was told all treatments for parasites actually cause more diarrhea so we just need to hope they pull through until they are strong enough for any potential additional treatment.

I am so sorry to hear that you have been going through all this. It really does sound as if they had some kind of bad GI infection.

Let's hope that they will continue to recover from now on.

My baby boy Blaise died at 5am this morning, at only 25 days old. He had to be euthanized because he was so ill. He began to vomit again, became listless. He was given pain medication, sub-q fluids and a shot to settle his stomach at around 1:30ish and was sent home. Around 4:30 my sweet boy started running a massive fever, was completely limp and unersponsive, and vomited aspirating the fluid into his lungs. He was my precious sweet boy, and I am heartbroken.

The three remaining kittens, Lexi, Sophie and Jack are doing well. They are finished their medicine on Monday, they turn four weeks old tomorrow. I litter pan trained them yesterday in fifteen minutes and they haven't made one mistake yet. They eat eight times a day, six 10ml feedings of KMR and two 10ml servings of 3/4 canned food 1/4 KMR blended from a syringe. They take all their food enthusiastically and beg for more. They especially like their meat. I still give them a bit of pedialyte when I feel they need it. I am doing all I can, and hoping for the best for these precious little ones.

I am praying for these three.....I really hope they make it. I know without a doubt you have done everything possible.....sometimes there is just nothing you can do......and it is so heartbreaking. :hugs:

Sophie started vomiting at 5 am this morning. I stimulated her to pee and noticed that her urine smelled really, really awful. I took her to the vet as soon as it opened and she was still doign ok and alert but a little off. The vet who has dealt with these little guys since 3 weeks, Dr. Benoit saw us without appointment, again. He decided to deworm incase that was the issue, and wouldnt be able to get a urine sample because her bladder was too small. When she was getting weighed and getting sub-Q she actually decided to pee then and there, they got tyhe urine, tested and she has a MASSIVE (he described it as: bacteria everywhere like you wouldnt beleive) bladder infection. The rest of the kittens are ok but poor little Sophie has been putting on her brave face when she has been really, really ill. Poor baby girl.Now everyone is geting wormed, Soph is on 14 days on AB's and lets hope this is the last we see of the vet until they get their first needles!

WHATS WRONG WITH PEOPLE???! Do they have no hearts?

My sister found 3 more kittens at work today, newborn with dried up umbilical cords still attached about 1 day old chilled on a concrete floor. I can not take these little ones so they will be going to pick of the litter rescue with Inge Sadler to be raised. Hopefully they do well and survive.

The cruelty of humans knows no limit.

Poor little wee ones.....there is no end. We are so over full of kittens right now that we are starting to panic......
I hope your remaining kittens do great and end up finding great homes.

Back