Animals are not disposable OR recyclable(almost 8 weeks old)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breakthenight

I am now the foster mother of a group of six four day old kittens. Finding kittens at a recycling and trash facility is taking animals are not disposable to a whole new level. All kittens, four girls and 2 boys are doign great so far. The vet clinic says they are in good condition and are great candidates to be bottle raised though it will be an incredible amount of stressful, heartbreaking hard work. They are beautiful and are feeding ok and ajusting to thier new nipple to feed from. With the help of a local kitten rescue and two vet clincis I hope we have luck raising these little ones...

Pictures to come

IMG_4210.jpg

IMG_4185.jpg

IMG_4199.jpg

IMG_4195.jpg

IMG_4200.jpg

IMG_4207.jpg

IMG_4194.jpg

IMG_4202.jpg

YAY! first feed the kittens finished their food and came back for more- no resistance to the new nipple. Hopefully they sleep for a good two hours and wake up and eat well again! Lots of power suckling and contented purring with full bellies. They are all incredibly sweet.

Sadly it is kitten season. They are all over CL, mostly free. Everyone just wants to be rid of the kittens that they are most likely at fault for producing!

Good for you saving these babies!
Boy they sure are cute!!!

First night went GREAT! A 12am feeding before I went to bed, a 2 am feeding and a 4 am feeding, then they slept in till 7 when they had another. They are getting more to the every 2 hours bigger meals thing rather than tiny bits every hours which is nice. It takes about 45mins-hour to heat formula, fill bottles, feed each kitten, burp, stimulate to urinate and give a good rub down to help with digestion. They have already went through a huge portion of the KMR powder. I usually mix enough for two meals and store it in the fridge and as of now the container is half empty and there is 2-3 meals worth in the fridge prepared and ready to be reheated and bottled. It is certainly a full time occupation. All kittens have a good appetite and are well hydrated and warm. Only one little guy(Kitten A) is more difficult to get a latch with, but he eats fine once you get it. I worry about leaving him with my sister tomorrow night because I am going on a harbour cruise that has been booked for weeks because he may not want to feed from her(so far he hasnt wanted to feed from her) so I am going to try and get him to feed from her this afternoon when she gets home to make sure. The b+w female with the most white of her face(Kitten C) is the smallest and the best eater...She didnt even take time ajusting to the new nipple, just latched on.

Kitten B with a great latch this morning:
IMG_4215.jpg

Kitten D chilling out in the baby nest:
IMG_4185.jpg

yea its definately kitten season around here too. I put a post for a friend on craigslist. she has two litters and another litter on the way. ONe litter the mama is a siamese but no idea who the daddy is they are all black.

Here is a picture of the babies at their 2am feeding this morning!They look so totally relaxed:
IMG_4212.jpg

They are starting to now respond to my touch as "moms touch" and get their little mouths searching for the bottle when I pick them up and enjoy the rub downs when their tummy is full. So many purrs and tiny kitten cuddles. They are beginning to quiet from human touch rather than getting loud and not at all shy about their protests.

My family bottle raised a week old kitten 11 years ago in August. Obviously that was one kitten, I was not very old so technically though I have some experience this is mostly all new to me. Thank goodness for vets and the lady who runs a local rescue group for bottle fed baby kittens- If nothing else they are there to reassure me that everything sounds good and to keep at it.

Oh my goodness, that last pictures is jsut TO DIE FOR. Wow, incredibly, incredibly cute!

And yes, I don't get how anybody could dump any kind of animal... or rehome for that matter.... It's really sickening.

You're doing a good thing taking care of them, I know it's really hard and time consuming to foster orphaned kids.. kudos!

They are gorgeous kitties so I'm sure they'll find homes fast....

The babies are doing wonderful. Last night was good as I filled 12 bottles up before bed so the two night feeds went well and the preperations were quicker which means the feeds went off without a hitch, though they seem to be lasting much longer now that the babies have started to poop(a welcome sign though!). As of 3 am this morning...Kitten f has opened up half of one eye, and this morning the very corner of her other! None of the others have done that yet, though I would not have expected the first eye opener to be her, she is one of the two runty small babies!

Back