Animals are not disposable OR recyclable(almost 8 weeks old)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The kittens are doing great. The best appetites ever, so sweet, AND THEIR EYES ARE STARTING TO OPEN. SO sweet. One girl has a giant blue eye, the others have various stages of ungluing in the corners, except for C whos eyes are firmly closed. They aer beautiful and growing well. My sister thought she heard some sneezes yesterday though none really at all today so kittens are off to the vet tomorrow ASAP for a good going over. It will be nice to find out how they are doing from a professional point of view too, see if there is anything we should change or do differently.

Some pictures:
4921_107824939584_506459584_1975512.jpg

4921_107824949584_506459584_1975513.jpg

4921_107824964584_506459584_1975516.jpg

4921_107824979584_506459584_1975518.jpg

4921_107824989584_506459584_1975520.jpg

4921_107825004584_506459584_1975522.jpg

well hello little kitties! i am happy to see they are doing well and their opening their eyes. is it true they frist person they see they think is their mommy?

Wow, they are adorable! They are so lucky they have you around to work so hard with them. I've never bottle raised an animal, but I'm sure its an unbelievable amount of work. Good luck!

Pink

nothing more satisfying then hand raising critters!! too cute!
if their eyes are opening then they are closer to 2wks old which is good for you as you wont be as long getting up every two hours!! lol

Today was terrifying. at their 5am feed, all kittens were fine, ate well. At the next feed I noticed that F(The tortie female, now named Bailey) was unresponsive, limp and listless. I called for a drive from my dad, which wouldnt come for an hour but ended up going next door and getting a drive from the Super's husband, which was amazing of him.He drove me to a clinic which was closest but I had not been to before. Here, I have never been treated more poorly in my entire life.They took Bailey back and took her temperature, which was low, and tested her blood sugar, which was fine. They then brought me back and put me in the "consoling room" and the vet came in to speak with me. He abruptly, and in no uncertain terms told me she was dying, was going to die, and that I should euthanize now(though he had no idea what was wrong) and hope that all the others didn't need to be euthanized too. He gave no answers. Obviously I was devistated, and I wanted to wait till my dad got to the clinic so I could talk with him. Multiple times while I was holding my limp, unresponsive kitten he poked his head into the room to let me know he wanted to "get her euthanized so he could go into a booked surgery" he had for that day. After examining the kitten myself I noticed now that she was over 5 hours without feeding, she appeared dehydrated which I thought wouldnt help the situation, and called the vet in to ask him if I could get any other tests, as well as some sub-q fluids and tube feeding. He told me it was pointless, he needed me to euthanize now so he could get around to the surgery. I called my dad and told him I wanted to take Bailey to another clinic because I felt that this one was not interested in helping her and was too busy caring about something else. My dad finally got there, and the vet rushed into the room and told him, just as he had told me that he wanted to get the surgery done, and needed me to say I would euthanize now so he could do that. He also mentioned that he didnt want to do anythign else for her and he had no idea what was wrong. I guess a dying kitten takes more time than a dead one to deal with. mY dad told him we were taking the kitten home with us(which the vet sais was a bad idea, and we should just put hwer down now).We rushed to another clinic after paying, where the vet was very optimistic. He warmed her to temperature, took another blood sugar reading, tried bottle feeding her and then tube fed her when she suckled poorly. After a few minutes post sub-q and warmth, Bailey started to become more alert, and after the tube feeding she became moreso. He spent over an hour with me and the kitten, was great, as was his tech. They even did research to find out the best way to help her. After all was done he gave me latex gloves filled with warm water and gave me a blanket, then wrapped her up, laying out her tube feeding equiptment telling me she could go home now, but he would stay late so I could come back and get her tube fed again if needed.

Bailey is home now and walking around and climbing as though nothing happened. Hopefully she will continue to stay this way. I am so thankful that someone cared enough to give her a fighting chance instead of euthanzing for convenience.

That is a rollercoaster of a day!! Im glad she is alright and that someone actually helped you. I dont understand why some vets are actually vets, when they blatantly dont give a damn.
I think you need a hot drink and some good television to chill out after a day like that

OMG that first vet shouldn't even be a vet. I'm glad little kitty girl has you and your dad. Those kitty piles are awesome. :heart:

You need to go back that first clinic and show them the kitten. Tell them what was done to help her and tell them that next time, they should consider helping the animal instead of putting them to sleep.
I'm so sorry you went through this... Some vets try harder than others.

i am sooo angry with that other vet, I am vary happy that you fought for this little kitten, i hope thing continue to go well. your a good person.

Yes, you need to go back to the first vet. Ask to speak to the manager of practice, and possibly the owner of the clinic as the vet may only be employed there and not an owner. It may take many calls and visits to get to this point. They need to see that although Bailey was clearly very unwell, her situation was not so dire that she needed immediate euthanization.

The key to this is not getting overly emotional, and keeping a cool head. You need to tell them in the most objective way possible what happened. Not how it made you feel, but what exactly the vet said.

I am personally appalled that the vet was not willing to do more for you. I know some clinics really aren't set up for emergencies, but they you were treated was horrible. Do they advertise being able to take walk-in emergencies? Because apparently they don't do well with them.

Glad she is doing ok.
That vet needs to be spoken to. The least he could have done was refer you to someone else. I would file a report with whatever body regulates vets in the prov.

I personally think you need to give your Daddy a big hug & kiss for being so wonderful! :cuddle:

I bet that surgery paid that 1st vet very well.....I agree you should walk in and show them the very ALIVE kitty.

UPDATE: So far Bailey is doing great. The GOOD guy Dr. Mike West of Fairview Animal Hospital, called me to check in on her, and offered to stay late if I needed to take her in for another tube feeding. He said if she ever gets like that again, just bring her in, because we now know exactly what we need to do to get her going, he is very optimistic she has no serious underlying conditions(Thus should make a full recovery-sometimes tiny kittens get off balance and nobody ever really knows why and grow up to be fine healthy cats if treated)and seemed genuinely caring about her situation. He even rocked her in his arms like a baby while trying to get her to take the bottle when she was still unresponsive. Very compassionate, and knowledgeable.

And don't worry, I was so grateful to my dad for everything he did. I couldn't have asked for more than that. I am also glad that my dad, who is a very practical man in general helped me give bailey any possible chance, because thats what I knew I needed to do for her.

Back