Alternative to wheels

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi

my Bino and Maja have got respiratory problems and I'm going to the vet today. I hope I won't forget to ask about the wheels.

:wink:

:doh: I forgot to ask :cry3:

Yesterday was the hottest day of the year and the air conditioning in my car doesn't work. Then I had to wait more than an hour in the waiting room and I was so happy that it was finally my turn and I just wanted to go home... so I forgot to ask :wallbang:

My friend from the rat rescue has got some pictures of wheel runners that have got deformed spines and tails. She just can't find then on the computer at the moment. As soon as she's found them I'll show them to you.

:wink:

The wheel I have in my cage is quite large and like Jo mentioned when Cordi gets going in it her tail is off to the side and straight.
DSCN1370.jpg

Did anyone find out more info?

Emiko, your rats are very fortunate to free range all the time.
Mine only get a few hours a day although their cages are huge.
If my rats were able to free range whenever they chose, I doubt they would use wheels very much .... but since that isn't possible, they have a large wheel available in case they choose to use it.

I've seen those chinchilla saucers at Petsmart. I don't know if it's worth trying it, especially with Godmother's girls not bothering at all.

I think that wheels are worth it. I usually take my rats out when they are sleepy, so they pretty much just cuddle, therefore, they get most of thier exercise from the wheel. They are only about 10 months old, so I guess problems wouldn't be develpoed in them. I'm keeping my wheel though, my rats look a good weight, and seem to enjoy their wheel.

I'm not completely sure what is normal, I've only had 7 rats, all of which died young. :( I think it might've been a combination of the Kaytee food and the fact that I got them from a pet store.

I currently have 5 girls in one cage. One is Suri, she is nearly 2 years old. Then I have Blue and Cotton, they are sisters and are not yet 1 year (they were born in April this year). Then there is Rose, she was born in Feburary this year. Finally there's Minnie, she is the youngest of the group she is no more then 4 months old (and the biggest brat ever, but that is besides the point)...lol

So Rose, Blue, and Cotton have been together the longest and they have always had a wheel. Blue and Cotton both have the wheelie tails. Rose doesn't have a tail at all so there is no telling what the effect the wheel has had on her. Suri and Minnie both use the wheel (I think)...well I know Minnie does but I am not sure Suri does as she is older and has only been around a wheel for a month or soo...Minnie shows no effects from the wheel.

In conclusion, it may be all linked to genetics. The only two girls affected by the wheel were sisters, the rest of the girls non-related all introduced to wheels at different ages show no effects....

Here are pics of the two sisters:

Back