Allergies to rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got two of them at the Aurora store. They say Smoke Eliminators on them but apparently they work for all odours. I bought two. If these dont help, I am going to have to give the boys up. I just cannot keep suffering.

rockybudgeboa said:
I got two of them at the Aurora store. They say Smoke Eliminators on them but apparently they work for all odours. I bought two. If these dont help, I am going to have to give the boys up. I just cannot keep suffering.
What about going back to the Air Sponge? You said in a previous post it "helped". Maybe it didn't help enough. You mentioned the cage, what kind of cage do you have? I hope you find a solution.

The two Smoke sponges are the same as the air sponge but better as there is no annoying aroma to antagonize allergies

I have one of those big wire cages. Harlan ones. I prefer in the future a cage like I used to have, my large one with the plastic bottom

i feel like i'm having the same problems as rocky with breathing.

i honestly was going to post something on a thread to see if anyone was experiencing what i go through. so i'm glad this was created. i also get welts every time i play with them.

and i had my girls for a good year before i got my boys, which was in july. i normally have allergies in august, well this time they were worse than ever before. i went to the doctor and ended up having to take 3 pills a day along with constant use of an inhaler. i even had to go to the hospital to take a breathing test. i never had breathing problems like this before, but i think it's because of my boys. i was fine for a year with my girls, (well besides the welts) but since i've had cloud and wander it's killed me. i really wish that i didn't have to keep all of them in my room, but i have no other option. i'm not taking the pills anymore, but i'm still on the inhaler. which this may sound really gross, but i've been coughing flem. i can't breathe so i cough, then i cough up what looks like boogers sometimes, and other times i just cough so much/so hard that it makes me gag and i puke. i really have no idea what i can do to make things better.

my mom told me that maybe i should get rid of them. i looked at her and told her that was absolutely out of the question. there's no way. i love them too much and i couldn't handle them going to a home where i wouldn't know what was happening with them.

i was thinking of getting an air humidifier (if that's what they're called)... i wonder if that would help? i don't know... i mean it would be putting moisture into the air, which i'm not sure if that would exactly help or make the problem worse

I would certainly give the air purifier a try. I've noticed that this year, my breathing is far worse. My Singulair is no longer control my asthma attacks. I need to go back to the doctor and probably start up on inhalers now.
Is there no other way than having the rats in your room? How many do you have?

Unless you have a reptile/bug/gerbils or natals (i.e. animals that don't produce too much urine) NO animals should be in your room. However if you can't have them anywhere else I would recommend a HEPA air purifier as those are upposed to be awesome for getting rid of allergens.

I'm taking my boys out of my room next year and my cats aren't ever allowed in my room all due to my allergies. While I'm not getting welts or asthma attacks it's effecting my ability to volunteer at the humane society. I volunteer with the cats and unlike before when I could be there for 3hours I can only be there for an hour max... :sad3:

jo, that's horrible that you'll probably have to start using an inhaler. it sucks, i just hate the feeling when your lungs start to close up and it's hard to breathe. but if you are having some breathing problems it's probably the best thing for you. i have a ''pro-air'' inhaler that's not necessarly for everyday use... but for when i need it use.

Singulair was one of the pills i was taking. i stopped simply because i ran out, and i figured it was past my allergie season. but it all just makes sense looking back at how my breathing has become affected in the time frames of when i got my boys.

i have four rats right now. i have two girls in one cage, and two boys in the other. they have to be in my room because there's no where else for them. i could put them in our basement easily, but it gets far far far too cold down there in the winter...

i guess i'm going to have to try an air purifier. i'll have to look for the one mentioned, does anyone know where i could most commonly find a HEPA air purifier?

Are your rats neutered? I highly recommend getting them altered. What's probably happening is that both males and females are going into overdrive scenting and marking up their cages because of the two sexes in the same room. That might very well help.

About the Singulair, I've needed it for several years now and if I skipped even one day, my breathing was way worse. You should try it again see if it will control your breathing again.

Getting the males neutered could really help, they'd be flinging less hormones around. You wouldn't think hormones would affect your allergies but since they secrete hormones through their skin there would be less rubbing and whatnot going on.

An air purifier is a worthwhile investment, get one suitable for the size of the room and don't cheap out, pay a little more to get one from a good brand like Honeywell.

I actually wanted to neuter my males anyways. Now with Molly not doing so well... I don't really know how long she's going to last. and I really don't want my other girl to be left alone. If both males were neutered I could try to introduce them together... but i'm not even getting into that now since Molly is still with me. and Since I don't know what's wrong with her...

... regardless I'm going to look into getting them altered. My vet that I have now supposely specializes in exotics, but I have not been too impressed. I felt like he really didn't know what he was talking about when i've taken in my rats... So I don't know. I'm going to see if he's ever performed that type of surgery on a rat, if not I think I'd rather go somewhere else. it's probably not a very common procedure, but someone who ''specializes'' in exotics and small animals should know what they're doing.

I hope that you find a vet who is experienced at doing rat neuters. It should help a lot. I was looking through some scientific articles last year and discovered that intact males produce 300 times as much allergen in the urine as does a female. When I got my first male neutered it made a huge difference to me.

Good luck!

trexgorawrrrrr said:
I actually wanted to neuter my males anyways. Now with Molly not doing so well... I don't really know how long she's going to last. and I really don't want my other girl to be left alone. If both males were neutered I could try to introduce them together... but i'm not even getting into that now since Molly is still with me. and Since I don't know what's wrong with her...

... regardless I'm going to look into getting them altered. My vet that I have now supposely specializes in exotics, but I have not been too impressed. I felt like he really didn't know what he was talking about when i've taken in my rats... So I don't know. I'm going to see if he's ever performed that type of surgery on a rat, if not I think I'd rather go somewhere else. it's probably not a very common procedure, but someone who ''specializes'' in exotics and small animals should know what they're doing.
I have three vets that I currently use for my rats... one for major stuff, and two for the basics. Even though the two for basics are THE only exotic vets for my area, they've never done surgery of any sort on a rat. Sometimes you have to travel for a good vet but for surgeries especially you want to make sure you have someone who knows what they are doing... or at the very least are willing to learn technique from an experienced vet, even if it is over the phone or via internet.

Don't just ask *if* te vet has ever done surgery, but ask specifics... how are the rats put under, what do they use to stitch them up (staples? internal sutures?) and what meds are given afterwards? Do you go home with any meds?

I don't have allergies to the rats thank goodness. mind you I do clean with water and vinagar. and now I'm using wood chips for the litter is it ever nice smelling

mamie said:
I don't have allergies to the rats thank goodness. mind you I do clean with water and vinagar. and now I'm using wood chips for the litter is it ever nice smelling

What type of wood chips?

Back