Allergies to rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will either find them online when I get home or take a piccy of the bag. It really made the boys smell a whole lot better. You could tell when we forgot to use them. However they are at PetSmart I haven't really looked at other places, you might be able to find them somewhere else.

Boys are more allergenic than girls (their urine contains MUCH more of the Rat Urinary Antigen that is responsible for most of the allergic reaction). Is there any way that you could get your boys neutered? It would depend on whether you have an experienced rat vet where you live, because it's a delicate operation.

I have three boys. Without them being neutered I probably could not have kept them. My reaction to them was way less afterward.

Rocky wait a few months, to see how your allergies are. I have allergies to my boys so when I go to school and they live in my room my life gets a little rough for the first three months and then I manage. I love my boys too much to get rid of them for something like allergies.

Unless you have an AC intake right beside the cage, it probably wont be enough. You might want to consider a stand alone unit that can sit right beside the cage. I don't have allergies but I found it did help a bit with the rattie smell (only a real problem when it gets humid)

rockybudgeboa said:
I seem to be better but it is Aryelle I am worried about.

That is a concern when it's our kids. Are the rats in an area of the house where Aryelle can stay away from?
If so, you can limit her exposure and start the desensitizing... it works!

I have a question on this subject. I have had an allergy test to see what I'm allergic to.
According to the allergist I'm only allergic to water mould.

Well I already know that's not really true, I'm also very allergic to grasses and hay (make me very stuffy even if I've had my allergy tablets). And I have to take my allergy tablet every once in a while in the spring/summer.

Anyways I live in one room every school year and my pets stay in the room with me (everybody but the cats). I had issues with my boys last year but I eventually got used to them in the first three months. I use YN for their litter boxes and shredded paper as bedding. I change it regularly but not daily as that also get my allergies going. I used to use gloves and a mask but that's too much of a hassle and I was no longer sneeing when working with them.

The issue isn't them making me sneeze or anything respiratory but I think they maybe aggrevating my eczema. I have had eczema for a while but was only diagnosed two years ago or so. I'm not on my drugs right now but I'll be getting the prescription renew this week so I'll be back on it. However even on drugs it has been spreading. I'm scared my rats maybe causing my disease to get worse not better. There is no cure for eczema but you can manage it. I can't tell you it's no fun and I don't want it getting worse. Does anyone have any suggestions (and I can't afford a HEPA filter right now sorry, I have to get through school and pay for possible vet bills)?

Has anyone else found their animals made their eczema worse? And what did you do about it?

Cole and I both have eczema. I find as long as you don't let your skin get dry, it won't bother you. Ours is WAY worse in the winter, we just keep ourselves all creamed up! and use a humidifier!
Eczema seems to run in families, and those families usually have asthma in them as well, which we both have too, LOVELY I know!
My knees and elbows are permanently scared from eczema, according to my doc. and we also have the Corticosteroid creams when a flair up comes along.

good luck and keep moisturized!

I use tar shampoo (soapless) and I use grease for moisturization on my scalp, (I'm black and it takes a long time to explain but trust me it's best).

Also I meant to say corticosteriod cream(I think) and not steriod cream.

Back