Allergies to rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rocky, if this becomes a big issue with you, you know the agreement. I will be happy to take them back no questions asked. I will even come pick them up. I know you love them, but if they make you that ill I wanted you to know that my offer is there. I will give you the money back for the cage as well. Just let me know if it comes to that. I'm here for you hon.

:hugs:
I feel for you, I really do, I'm here for you. But the one thing you want to keep in mind is that if what you feel keeps you from being able to do what you need to care for them, that's something to keep in mind. It's a hard decision and no one would ever fault you on that.

Let me know.

I had to give up my cat because I developed an allergy and after a while, the nurse who came to care for my son was giving her more attention than I was because I'd basically have to shower and change my clothes every time I touched her. So, I gave her to the nurse who had also become a good friend :p
I was a little worried that my ratties my be an issue too, but so far, I'm doing well. My allergies have been getting worse over the years but the rats don't seem to be setting them off as much as everything else :p

I too had a cat that I had to get rid of when I was younger. My dad was allergic to her, and he couldn't stand coming home because he would sneeze a lot and get watery eyes. Her name was Destiny, and I still miss her to this day. She was the only cat I owned, aside from Joey's parents cats.

Do you wash down all the sides?
For me personally, I found martin's cages to "keep" a smell even after scrubbing. But I thought it was just me and my good sense of smell. Cover the floors with cloth or fleece and change it every two days. Make sure the boys have daily out time so they don't get cabin fever and scent up the whole cage.
Each of us have found ways to change it up and find what works. What doesn't smell for one person doesn't mean the other person is not affected by it. So keep trying different things. Some people put down linoleum tiles on the floor which allows for easy wipe ups daily.

Didn't you have girls before? Boys do seem to be more odorous to me, just because they like to spread their smell around more.

There's always a chance that your sense of smell has gotten more acute also. Our tastes change, our allergies change, our hair changes.... lots of things can.

Yep.
I cannot be in denial anymore.
I am allergic to my rats.
I get welts as well from them :(

But it's not extremely irritating, so it's all good!

Back