Albert gets a home!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The boys are HOME!!!!!! :banana: :heart: :banana: :heart: :banana: :heart:

I met up with Leesa at 11AM this morning to meet a somewhat nervous little Albert!!! He didn't eat his piece of Mango but did take the liberty of peeing on it during the drive home!!! :laugh4:

Albert is a bright and sunny little personality but he will need a few days to adjust. His cage appears to satisfy him and he was very happy to test his Oxbow, his Harlan AND his one piece of INNOVA Senior dog food!

He is located in my bedroom and has already explored my bed (queen size sheet protecting things of course!!!! :wink:)

He accepted vanilla, soy, yogurt from my finger and examined my nose while I kissed his little head.

He is a darling, little, fellow!!!! His majesty has now "crashed" on top of his "clubhouse" box in his cage. :)

Roquefort was picked up from the Montgomery County Animal Shelter at 1:15pm. I was actually there at 12:40 but there was alot going on so I had to wait.

I did not get to hold him before leaving the shelter. They took my travel cage to their back room and then provided me with it at the counter. Roquefort's trip home was trying. He was upset and terrified and kept trying to perforate the "windows" in his carrier. :(

I spoke to him, gently, and stroked his face through the mesh. He was still upset but he seemed to calm a little. I spoke to him the whole way home.

When he got to the house; he did not want to go into his cage. I am guessing that he has been neglected and cooped up in a cage for the last 10 days and heaven only knows how much neglect he suffered before being shipped off to the shelter. :tearful: I parked myself on the floor and settled him in my arms. I stroked his face, scritched his ears, gave him little body massages and kissed his head. Roquefort is the first rat who has ever boggled at me. He bruxxed and boggled about 5 times and grew very calm under the strokes and caresses.

My condo is very quiet and he seems to need the quiet right now. Roquefort did eventually decide to visit his new cage and promptly pilferred his Harlan and Oxbow pieces into his "clubhouse" for a late lunch. He topped off his meal with a healthy slug of water and a finger full of soy yogurt. :wink:

Roquefort is going to be ok. He is skittish when I approach the cage but calms once I have him situated on my lap. I had a feeling that he would be a nervous and fearful little rat man, and I was right. What I did not expect was the boggling and bruxxing from him. :love6: I'm almost willing to believe that he has an idea that he is in a good place. :rose:

I have Roquefort scheduled for his health exam on Monday and Albert scheduled for Tuesday. Roquefort is sneezing a little but there is no respiratory issue. I am guessing that the sneezing is stress related but I want Dr. Richards to check him anyway. I still don't see that Roquefort is neutered but I will keep my face shut until the vet has seen him. :D

Thank you for the prayers and well wishes!!!! It has been a bumpy ride but the effort was worth it. :)

My little guys are where they belong. My little men are home. :love4:

Oh wow they sound absolutely...as I expected!!! :lol:

I am soo happy you got BOTH your boys home today...woohoo!!!! :thumbup:

I would say in a few days they will both be absolute putty in your hands...and Roque bruxxing and boggling like that? Awwww.... :heart: :heart: :heart:

Life will now always be good little men, you found your Heart Mom.

:happydance: Best news I've heard in ages. I'm sure with your love and patience both boys will become sweethearts. Can't wait for pics. Good luck at the vet.

Thanks!!!!!!!! So far so good!!!! :D

I can tell you; I was going to get those boys home come h311 or high water!!!! I don't know who suffered more this past week... but I will say that Roquefort suffered most.

At least I had a nice place, good food and great Ben and Basil companionship. Albert was with a foster mom who dotes on her foster rats and he had another rat to play with. Little Roquefort had none of those things. He had "acceptable" (but not) good food and he had little to no companionship. His lodgings, although large enough, were loud and nerve-wracking.

Basil has already observed Roquefort, from the top of his cage. He is interested but not bouncing off the walls.

I decided to put Roquefort in the hallway since Albert interacted with other rats, during his playtime in foster care. They are all, basically, sharing airspace (since my condo is mini) but having Roquefort in the hall somehow, hypocritically, makes me feel better. LOL!!!!!! Nevermind that both Albert and Roquefort play on the SAME bed in the SAME room right now!!!! (right... like any airbourne germs are going to take a time out to satisfy my desire that the boys not infect each other during their quarantine times...:roll: :doh:....LOL!!!)

Albert has a ton of energy. He has been all over the bed and we've played chase, hide-and-seek and "let's see what mom has in her ears and under her nails...:laugh4:

I am letting Roquefort play on the bed too but I have Albert in his cage while Roquefort is out. Roquefort is more cautious than Albert but he does like to run and bounce. Albert and Roquefort have seen each other and are very curious.

Roquefort is doing much better today. He enjoyed his cantaloupe and mini piece of whole wheat bagel with 100% pure fruit spread just like everyone else. He is drinking a TON of water! He has already depleted 1/3 of his bottle. Tonight, the boys will each be getting their tofu/molasses mix balls.

Last night, Albert and Roquefort got Kale for the first time in their lives. They examined and sniffed it for about 10 seconds before grabbing it out of my hands and darting for their, respective, clubhouses. :wink:

Roquefort is currently asleep in his tube hammock. All you can see is a little nose. He stuck his head out to greet me, a few minutes ago, and let me stroke his cheek.

Albert had a 15 minute phase where he was active in his cage. Since my computer is right next to his cage; I let him out for a quick stint on the bed. Once he "tuckered", I put him back in and he is now curled up in his clubhouse. :heart:

Love the h311 out of my rats and look forward to having them live together. Depending on the outcomes of Albert and Roquefort's health exams; I may intro those two sooner so that they can play together on the bed. Roquefort seems starved for rattie companionship and I want the two of them to be acquainted before I begin intros with Ben and Basil.

Let me know if there is anything wrong with my "plan". :heart: :hugs:

:tumkiss: :heart: :love6: :rose: :tumkiss: :heart: :love6: :rose: :tumkiss: :heart: :love6: :rose: :tumkiss: :heart: :love6: :rose:

That's what I did with two "alone" rescue males. I introed them together first, then to a colony. Everything worked out fine. They are now 9 in that colony and fun is had by all. Can't wait to see your little guys in action. lol

That's so great :thumbup: I'm sure in no time your little "Rocky" will be bouncing around and a very happy boy :D Congrats :bunnydance:

Hi Jennifer, I got your voice mail but didn't write down your phone number. Thanks for the update on lil Albert though it appears he's been something of a trial, which I totally did not expect! If you want to email me, it's leesalogic at aol dot com. :)

Back